Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:22 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
No. I can honestly say that said issue hasn't been a thought in my mind. But now that I think about it, I'm not particulary moved by that as much as I am about educating teens and then allowing them to make their own decisions and facing their own subsequent consequences. I can hoop and holler about plenty other things used with tax payer money.
This is what is missing in today's world. People want to cushion everything we do.

I expect soon to see parents holding the hands of their 15-yr olds as they cross the street to protect them from harm.

At some point, you have to let them graduate from the Driver's Ed cars that have the brakes on the passenger side. This is the only way to make them into mature adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 11:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
What IS prom about anyway? It seems like the stupidest tradition ever to me.
I don't see what is stupid about it. It's a celebration and a get-together, a time for the kids to dress up, dance and have fun. What's wrong with that?

Old 05-25-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Let the teens buy their own darn condoms! You grown enough to have sex be responsible enough to protect yourself. What next? provide cigars for blunt rolling?

don't ask

Maybe it's not about the money.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't like it. Why? Because it almost "pressures" a teenage into sex. A male gets a condom, from the "bowl", takes it over to his prom date...."we are covered now.". She still has "choice"? Not really....if a couple has a relationship, hopefully this is already planned. If not...it is awkward.

I see why they have them. I understand the reason. I just don't like it much.
I completely disagree. A teen is NOT going to lose his or her virginity simply because they have a condom. Why would a teen feel pressured to do it? If a boy is going to pressure his date to do it, he would have done that anyway. And in that case, the issue is the boy, not the rubber.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
This is what is missing in today's world. People want to cushion everything we do.

I expect soon to see parents holding the hands of their 15-yr olds as they cross the street to protect them from harm.

At some point, you have to let them graduate from the Driver's Ed cars that have the brakes on the passenger side. This is the only way to make them into mature adults.
I would liken providing a condom to providing driver's ed. Both are preparing the young for the real world. What they do with those tools is up to them.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:02 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I would liken providing a condom to providing driver's ed. Both are preparing the young for the real world. What they do with those tools is up to them.
I think it's more like teaching gun safety. I'm sure it's a valuable tool if your child plans to use guns. But, many peple would go ballistic if you said kids were going to be discharging firearms at the local schools. So we don't offer that out of respect to those parents.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:48 PM

458 posts, read 611,194 times
Quote:
Maybe it's not about the money.

uh, don't get it?!?

Old 05-25-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I think it's more like teaching gun safety. I'm sure it's a valuable tool if your child plans to use guns. But, many peple would go ballistic if you said kids were going to be discharging firearms at the local schools. So we don't offer that out of respect to those parents.
A more apt analogy to discharging firearms at school would be having sex at schools. Neither is taking place.

Having condoms available (note, that is different than handing them out) is not the same as allowing kids to shoot guns.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
uh, don't get it?!?
Maybe the reason the schools hand out condoms is not because they believe kids can't afford them.

Maybe the schools feel the kids will be more willing to take them from school than go into a drugstore and ask for them.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:53 PM

458 posts, read 611,194 times
Quote:
Maybe the reason the schools hand out condoms is not because they believe kids can't afford them.

Maybe the schools feel the kids will be more willing to take them from school than go into a drugstore and ask for them.
Don't recall making that point

I did state that condoms don't cost much but don't recall stating that as rhyme and reason on behalf of the schools that provide them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting