Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 11:53 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
With stuff like this...I understand why more parents want to homeschool their kids. Or pay for private school. Or ban proms.

Abstinence is a choice many teens choose. It is not a given that teens will have sex. But promoting sexual activity as a given is what offends me
Exactly! it makes kids feel they must engage in sex or not be "with it". And where are the parents in all this? At the bottom of the heap. We're graudating kids who can't fill out a job application, but they know all there is to know about sex!

Parents role as a parent has been pushed to the back burner, all we're good for is paying fees, and signing permission forms!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 12:00 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,853,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't disagree with everything you have written, but celibacy is not BS. It's a wise choice many teens make.

As to the bolded, what is the parent's role in all this education? And what about the many, many school districts that chose to teach an abstinence based sex ed?

Putting a bowl of condoms at the exit makes after prom sex a cliche. There are much better ways of handling it, including giving them out at the school upon request, like they already do.
States with schools that teach abstinence based sex ed have a MUCH higher rate of teen pregnancy. Pregnancy among teens nation wide is dropping...expect in 'red' states that teach abstinence only. The five states with the highest rate of teen pregnancy are all abstinence only states.

Teens are going to have sex. Teaching abstinence only simply means they aren't prepared. They're also more embarrassed and ashamed, so they aren't going to pick up that condom from a bowl or carry one in a wallet where a parent could possibly find it. So when they crack, there's no safety net for them.

If you believe your child will be abstinent because you've already have the talk and you feel they share your beliefs, free condoms should be no threat to you.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:09 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
With stuff like this...I understand why more parents want to homeschool their kids. Or pay for private school. Or ban proms.

Abstinence is a choice many teens choose. It is not a given that teens will have sex. But promoting sexual activity as a given is what offends me
It's not about promoting sexual activity as realistically understanding that most teens will engage in some level of sex. Very few people are truly abstinent. Even less of them will stay so until marriage. The less access to forms of birth control the higher the rate of teen pregnancy.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:12 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
States with schools that teach abstinence based sex ed have a MUCH higher rate of teen pregnancy. Pregnancy among teens nation wide is dropping...expect in 'red' states that teach abstinence only. The five states with the highest rate of teen pregnancy are all abstinence only states.

Teens are going to have sex. Teaching abstinence only simply means they aren't prepared. They're also more embarrassed and ashamed, so they aren't going to pick up that condom from a bowl or carry one in a wallet where a parent could possibly find it. So when they crack, there's no safety net for them.

If you believe your child will be abstinent because you've already have the talk and you feel they share your beliefs, free condoms should be no threat to you.
I never understood the logic of teaching kids abstinence as a method of birth control. Delaying is such a personal choice borne out of religious or personal choices and is not going to be influenced by a 2 week class on sex ed.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:33 AM

973 posts, read 2,142,511 times
I hope my kids wait, but, if they don't, they will be educated. I wasn't. I was lucky. I have a lot of catholic school, uneducated friends who went down a different path.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:23 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I have no problem with it and don't think condoms will cause sex to happen. However, I do get why the school backed down on this since it's really not their place.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:30 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Not at all. We talk to our daughter about sex and have been very approachable about lots of stuff, including condoms. That has nothing to do with my picturing a big bowl of condoms on a table somewhere, which would look incredibly tacky and presumptuous to me. As somebody pointed out, that might be more fitting for a school in a different type of area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I would be seriously, seriously pissed off. Two reasons:

1) It's tantamount to endorsing sex, and
2) It assumes my kid is stupid. We've already had those talks.
Quote:
Funny. Schools give out condoms but ban soda and junk food in snack machines. Where is the nanny government?

And yes...a giant bowl of condoms at a prom is offensive to me as a parent. My children don't need a reminder to have safe sex. I prefer them....at that age to have NO sex. I don't need a school prompting directly against my wishes that my children abstain from sex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't disagree with everything you have written, but celibacy is not BS. It's a wise choice many teens make.

As to the bolded, what is the parent's role in all this education? And what about the many, many school districts that chose to teach an abstinence based sex ed?

Putting a bowl of condoms at the exit makes after prom sex a cliche. There are much better ways of handling it, including giving them out at the school upon request, like they already do.
All of you realize that the areas of the country who DO teach abstinence only also have the highest rate of teen births as well, correct?

Abstinence only programs simply do not work.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:

Are drinking and driving programs at high schools promoting underage drinking?

Old 05-26-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Exactly! it makes kids feel they must engage in sex or not be "with it". And where are the parents in all this? At the bottom of the heap. We're graudating kids who can't fill out a job application, but they know all there is to know about sex!

Parents role as a parent has been pushed to the back burner, all we're good for is paying fees, and signing permission forms!
Why must anti-sex ed crowds speak in such extremes?

As I said before, this is a public health issue. Just as parents are compelled to vaccinate their children, I feel condoms should be accessible to teens because both issues can negatively impact the health of the general public.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:59 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Not for nothing but we are talking about a senior prom, at a school where many of the children have been left back.

That means nearly all of those "kids" are 18 and legally adults. Their parents have no say in whether or not they are allowed to have condoms. And for those whose sensibilities are offended, is a bowl of condoms in the bathroom really worse than a teen pregnancy or std?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting