Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 09:25 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Those would be the same parents who teach nothing about sex themselves, bury their heads in the sand, and think even thought they had a sex life as a teen that their child with embrace abstinence.
Not at all. We talk to our daughter about sex and have been very approachable about lots of stuff, including condoms. That has nothing to do with my picturing a big bowl of condoms on a table somewhere, which would look incredibly tacky and presumptuous to me. As somebody pointed out, that might be more fitting for a school in a different type of area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 09:57 PM

970 posts, read 2,214,101 times
Apparently the school is no longer giving out the condoms.

Brooklyn School Backs Off Condom Giveaway on Prom Night - NYTimes.com

Old 05-25-2012, 10:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
I would be seriously, seriously pissed off. Two reasons:

1) It's tantamount to endorsing sex, and
2) It assumes my kid is stupid. We've already had those talks.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:10 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,997 times
Why would the area of the school matter? Do white upper-class kids not have sex?

Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Funny. Schools give out condoms but ban soda and junk food in snack machines. Where is the nanny government?

And yes...a giant bowl of condoms at a prom is offensive to me as a parent. My children don't need a reminder to have safe sex. I prefer them....at that age to have NO sex. I don't need a school prompting directly against my wishes that my children abstain from sex.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:26 PM

102 posts, read 312,434 times
This isn't highly inappropriate. This is a good idea. Teens who are determined to have sex will do so with or without a condom. Prom is also a night when many teens do engage in some type of sexual activity. With any type of sex act, you run the risk of contracting an STI, and with vaginal intercourse, you run the risk of pregnancy. Which is worse, promoting safe, educated sex, or sweeping the issue under the rug and allowing teens to have sex potentially unprotected?

We need to stop feeding teenagers this celibacy BS. We all know that doesn't happen, and it's impractical. Rather than acting like sex is some taboo thing, we should approach it head on. Schools should educate teens about sex, intimacy, STIs, pregnancy, birth control, condoms (and condom use), where to get pregnancy tests, birth control, STI tests, and condoms, and what their fist time might be like. If kids are educated, they can take the necessary steps to protect themselves.

Educating kids about sex doesn't cause them to have sex anymore than educating them about wars causes them to attack one another.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:08 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRNStudent View Post
This isn't highly inappropriate. This is a good idea. Teens who are determined to have sex will do so with or without a condom. Prom is also a night when many teens do engage in some type of sexual activity. With any type of sex act, you run the risk of contracting an STI, and with vaginal intercourse, you run the risk of pregnancy. Which is worse, promoting safe, educated sex, or sweeping the issue under the rug and allowing teens to have sex potentially unprotected?

We need to stop feeding teenagers this celibacy BS. We all know that doesn't happen, and it's impractical. Rather than acting like sex is some taboo thing, we should approach it head on. Schools should educate teens about sex, intimacy, STIs, pregnancy, birth control, condoms (and condom use), where to get pregnancy tests, birth control, STI tests, and condoms, and what their fist time might be like. If kids are educated, they can take the necessary steps to protect themselves.

Educating kids about sex doesn't cause them to have sex anymore than educating them about wars causes them to attack one another.
I don't disagree with everything you have written, but celibacy is not BS. It's a wise choice many teens make.

As to the bolded, what is the parent's role in all this education? And what about the many, many school districts that chose to teach an abstinence based sex ed?

Putting a bowl of condoms at the exit makes after prom sex a cliche. There are much better ways of handling it, including giving them out at the school upon request, like they already do.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:32 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Not at all. We talk to our daughter about sex and have been very approachable about lots of stuff, including condoms. That has nothing to do with my picturing a big bowl of condoms on a table somewhere, which would look incredibly tacky and presumptuous to me. As somebody pointed out, that might be more fitting for a school in a different type of area.
Sure at a prom i have said i don't see a point to even having it. I'm refering more towards the parents who fight tooth and nail anytime the issue comes up even within the confines of having them available in say the nurses office.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:40 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't disagree with everything you have written, but celibacy is not BS. It's a wise choice many teens make.

As to the bolded, what is the parent's role in all this education? And what about the many, many school districts that chose to teach an abstinence based sex ed?

Putting a bowl of condoms at the exit makes after prom sex a cliche. There are much better ways of handling it, including giving them out at the school upon request, like they already do.
Very few do let's be honest with ourselves. Very Very Very few people are celibate totally. They might not engage in intercourse, but most people will engage in some level of sex.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
With stuff like this...I understand why more parents want to homeschool their kids. Or pay for private school. Or ban proms.

Abstinence is a choice many teens choose. It is not a given that teens will have sex. But promoting sexual activity as a given is what offends me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting