Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:09 PM

247 posts, read 688,917 times

Advertisements

I think you should contact the music teacher directly, and if that doesn't work, then contact the principal. I think the guidance counselor is mixed up. Most schools have provisions for students who can't afford instruments. I also don't know how a school could legally require a student to take a music class where you have to provide your own expensive equipment.

Does the school have a Music Boosters program? When I was teaching, the Boosters would provide instruments to students of hardship.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:43 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Moderator please close this thread thanks .

Old 07-27-2012, 01:50 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supportyourschools View Post
I think you should contact the music teacher directly, and if that doesn't work, then contact the principal. I think the guidance counselor is mixed up. Most schools have provisions for students who can't afford instruments. I also don't know how a school could legally require a student to take a music class where you have to provide your own expensive equipment.
That's my thought too! There must be more to the story....

Old 07-27-2012, 02:01 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Hi all ,our grand daughter just came back to live with me and my husband . Her dad cant take care of her properly and we would not and could not let her go into foster care . However she is 13 and she has to take a music class and has to have a violin to take the class . We cannot afford to buy her one or rent her one and she has to have one . I spoke to her guidance counselor at school and asked what would happen if she cant get the violin , the gc told me she would take an f for the class . I dont want her being made fun of because we cant afford something for her , she has been through so much with her dad (mom passed away a while ago ) . It just seems like this kid cant get a break .I dont want her failing the class either , Im at a loss as to what to do here . I have looked at used ones in the newspaper but folks are ridiculous with their prices and wont deal either so im at a loss here . dont know what to do here ? any suggestions ? My husband works his butt off and im waiting for my disability to come through which could take eons .I dont know what to do , thanks for any clues as to what to do .
If you are on Facebook, you can post the need on your wall and ask all your friends to share it....networking does amazing things, I hope you find one for her.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Why not rent one instead of buying one?

When my son wanted to take a music class, I knew he wasn't going to stay with it because I know how he is, I didn't want to buy something that would later sit in his closet so I rented and at the end of the year turned it back in. The next fall he had lost all interest.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:37 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,359,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why not rent one instead of buying one?

When my son wanted to take a music class, I knew he wasn't going to stay with it because I know how he is, I didn't want to buy something that would later sit in his closet so I rented and at the end of the year turned it back in. The next fall he had lost all interest.
I mentioned that too but then saw in the OP that they cannot afford to buy or rent one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting