Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 02:53 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,430,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You gotta be kidding me.
Nope. I do not kid when it comes to facts. That is indeed the WHO recommendation. My daughter for example is now 2 years and 7 months old. Still breast feeding.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:14 AM

563 posts, read 1,499,790 times
Anyone who has an issue with public breastfeeding needs to learn more about breastfeeding, and needs to think less about sex.
Do people realize the true benefits of breastfeeding? Reduced risk of cancers for mother and baby, for one.
Breastmilk is a cureall kind of thing too - ear infection? Put breastmilk in there. Scratched your eye? Squirt some breastmilk on it. Diaper rash? Try a little breastmilk. Acne? Rub some breastmilk on your face.
A lot of babies don't want to be covered, and if baby or mother doesn't want to use a cover, then just look away. I make a point to not pay too much attention to ANYONE. Just being in wal-mart for 10 minutes, I could find 20 different people I'd like to walk up to and tell them what they are doing is disgusting and inappropriate. But hey, that's not my business.
I breastfed my first until about a year old. My current is about 9 months old and I'm hoping to go longer than a year. I know so much more this time around than I did before.
Breastmilk changes with the childs needs. Broccoli or apples don't lose nutritional value after a kid turns two, and neither does breastmilk.

How is it perfectly acceptable for us to drink milk that came from a cow, but milk that came from our own species is 'disgusting'?

Old 04-05-2013, 10:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
And that culture is Malibu, not the Maoris. I've been to some pretty remote places. I've never seen "native peoples" walking around starkers though, yes, they do exist. But they're very rare because of the influence of Christian missionaries. And cold weather. Any place with either one the mother covers up when she isn't breastfeeding. And the men aren't too keen on the shrinkage aspect of things when it's cold.

Except the beaches in the South of France. They're not hung up on much of anything. Edit to add Sweden where they don't much care if there's a hot tub involved.
I've been down the Amazon on a mission boat. In the remote Amazon communities, women do wear clothes, but they are comfortable with partially disrobing and breast feeding in public. I saw kids 2-3 years old bf there w/o anyone batting an eyelash, except perhaps the American doctors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Agreed. And each child is different. My son was fine having a blanket over his head, my daughter was having none of that.
Both of my kids would flip the blankets off, before they could even move their arms purposefully. When my youngest was born, the minister came to visit, and she flipped off her blanket. I thought, "oh, well, he's got kids". Then I found out his kids were adopted. He didn't seem embarassed, though. He'd probably seen everything, making home visits.

There are these new covers that I've seen people using that do seem to work.
https://www.google.com/search?q=nurs...n-US:official&
One of my patients had one that someone made her for a shower gift. I thought it was a wonderful idea!

ETA: I would not buy the brand, "Hooter Hiders".

Old 04-05-2013, 11:12 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,388,466 times
My first dd would not tolerate a cover over her head. I breastfed her in public everywhere I went - ski lodge, on the hiking trail. restaurants. I did not purposely go out to breastfeed, but sheesh, unless you are STARING at a women nursing there is very little to see. when I was hiking, people would just walk by, wave and smile.

I am nursing twins, and that is where I have held back a little in public - I nurse them one at a time if I happen to be out. At home I nurse them together, and to be honest there is very little I can do to cover up. People who visit can just deal.

It seems that this debate will never die. I was at a ski lodge about a month ago, and I just finished nursing baby #2 and a women stood up and announced to her husband that she was taking her baby to the other womens room so she can go and privately nurse her baby and cover up. She said it really loud, I can only imagine she wanted me to hear.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:14 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,203,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I assume you're referring to the Maoris in New Zealand. They wear regular clothing, drive cars, have jobs and live in houses with indoor plumbing. (Some parts of New Zealand get really cold. Can't walk around showing your naughty bits when there's snow on the ground.) Pretty much the only time they wear next-to-nothing is during the tourist shows in Rotorua and that's only the men in native dress from decades ago. Think male hula skirts for lack of a better description.

Culturally speaking, you'll see much more exposed skin among the natives of Malibu, CA.
I live in a very cold state during the winter. But during the summer it cracks me up. The law is that you don't require any clothing as long as you leave the house that way. So one time when my son was young, we were driving home from somewhere. On the street was a man strutting in his sneakers. And nothing else. My son was all aghast. Dad and I were like, so what it is a body. He has a nice one. Rock on.

As bodies relate to breastfeeding, my breasts have a primary and secondary function. Their secondary function is no one else' business. But we all need to eat, and many of us enjoy doing it in public. Why shouldn't my babies?

Old 04-06-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
My first dd would not tolerate a cover over her head. I breastfed her in public everywhere I went - ski lodge, on the hiking trail. restaurants. I did not purposely go out to breastfeed, but sheesh, unless you are STARING at a women nursing there is very little to see. when I was hiking, people would just walk by, wave and smile.

I am nursing twins, and that is where I have held back a little in public - I nurse them one at a time if I happen to be out. At home I nurse them together, and to be honest there is very little I can do to cover up. People who visit can just deal.

It seems that this debate will never die.
I am less sure about this last point. Twelve years ago, when I first was doing it, there would have been a much louder cry. With words like disgusting and sick. I think time has gained nursing mothers some understanding. It is a shame that that understanding was lost for a time.

Quote:
I was at a ski lodge about a month ago, and I just finished nursing baby #2 and a women stood up and announced to her husband that she was taking her baby to the other womens room so she can go and privately nurse her baby and cover up. She said it really loud, I can only imagine she wanted me to hear.
Tee hee. Let her kiss your lily white butt cheeks.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:46 PM

15,540 posts, read 10,527,165 times
"Breast feeding in public. Big deal?"

No, feeding a little baby is natural. I usually don't even notice, women around here wear those cute sling/wrap things.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:04 PM

18,480 posts, read 31,675,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"Breast feeding in public. Big deal?"

No, feeding a little baby is natural. I usually don't even notice, women around here wear those cute sling/wrap things.

ok, we all know it is natural.

but really, i dont want to see it and i dont want to know you are doing it, go to the bathroom or somewhere private.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,258,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

but really, i dont want to see it and i dont want to know you are doing it, go to the bathroom or somewhere private.
You're not going to see it though unless you're trying really hard to see.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

I don't want to see you drinking your coffee or eating your sushi either. You should you do those in the bathroom as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting