Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 01:09 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You'd probably chastise me for having my kids let grandpa win at Sequence when they could have beat him. It was the highlight of grandpa's day to beat them. They were only allowed to win often enough that grandpa felt it was a challenge to beat them.

THAT is what counts as respect for you? Treating your father like an invalid child is respectful to you?

Old 08-16-2012, 01:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Actually, I spent 10 years of my childhood in the 60's.

I just grew up in a family that had respect for elders and people in positions of authority.
Being a child IN the 60's and a child OF the 60's are two different animals.

And I was taught to respect the position. I grew up being taught the person in the position did not automatically deserve blind respect. Patton as commander of the 7th Army in Sicily? Yes. Patton as a person? Not so much.

I was also taught not to interrupt someone when he was speaking. Unless he was about to walk backwards into a manhole and then it was respectful to butt in and tell him he was about to do something stupid.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:31 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
No. Well let us actually assume that the majority of the people DID choose him unlike say, Bush, or any othe president who stole their election. All that says is somethign about the majority of people. Not him.

I don't have any knowledge of what people base their election choices on. I am sure it is going to be wildly different across the population.

What does equality have to do with it?

How the hell can you respect a Nazi conservative evil Pope simply because he wears a robe?
Quote:
The grandmother likely came from another generation. My grandmother would have and probably did do the same thing. As a child, I didn't think twice about it. When an adult had something to say, you listened. We always got our chance to finish what we were saying later.

I don't see where this is a big issue. Grandma was, probably, taught, as was I, that adults are first. I was taught to respect my elders. That's just how it was.

If you come from a family that respects elders, this IS leading by example. I would never have questioned an adult who cut me off mid sentence. Adults were first. Period. Today, children have been trained to think they come first. That can create problems when generations clash.

You'd probably chastise me for having my kids let grandpa win at Sequence when they could have beat him. It was the highlight of grandpa's day to beat them. They were only allowed to win often enough that grandpa felt it was a challenge to beat them.

I have found, that old people are a wealth of knowledge but that they're often blunt and a bit impulsive and these were not things I would have challenged as a child because I was taught to respect my elders. That's just the way it was. Elders were elders because they'd been around a long time. They knew important things. They were important people. More important than kids. To be honest, this kind of made me feel safe. I knew the adults were in control. My grandmother would have been shocked if one of her grand children said something like this little girl did. Kids just did not get the same treatment as adults. Period. You earned those rights and we had yet to earn them. It kind of gave you something to look forward to too.

Not everything said by an adult is important but you assume it is until proven otherwise just like everything said by a police officer isn't important but you pay attention anyway.

Does that make it right? That she was raised in a generation such? To completely disregard a child? If what she had to say was so important, the least she could have said its "excuse me" Not only does it show respect for herself and her grandson, but teaches the child to say "excuse me" before he interrupts. Let me say that children should respect adults, but that becomes questioned when an adult doesn't respect you. It makes the child wonder. Obviously, an adult does not always say something important, what if a child was telling you about the violence in school but was cut of mid-way because the grandmom has that right because she's an adult. No,adults can't always be first. Nobody is always first. Not everything an adult says requires them to become first.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:31 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
When adults were talking, I was not. This included my parents, my grandparents, the preacher, my teachers and the neighbors. If I still had something to say, I waited until they were done talking. I was raised to show respect to adults.
The situation that the OP described was not one where the child interrupted the adults who were talking. The child was talking and the adult interrupted the child. The child was not interrupting anyone.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:38 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
It depends on who is talking. If you were talking and the president piped in, would you cut him off because he cut you off? If you were talking and the police officer who just pulled you over cut you off, would you cut him off in return? Would you complain that he was disrespecting you? People above us have the right to cut us off. What they have to say may be more important and their time is worth more than ours. If someone who is worthy of more respect than me deems what I have to say as wasting their time, they have the right to end the conversation or take it over.

When telemarketers call me, I, simply tell them I do not have time for this and hang up. I don't owe it to them to listen to them because they were talking first. THEY are wasting MY time. If I happen to have time to waste, I like to list all my complaints when they ask "How are you today?". They usually hang up about the time I'm complaining about the pain I have in my left hip these days..... Sometimes I get the feeling they really don't care how I'm doing today. Go figure.... However, if the mayor called me, I'd listen even if I didn't have the time because what he has to say could be more important than my time.
So your respect for another human being is determined by your perception of where they lie on the continuum of power in relationship to you?

President = Above you
Mayor = Above you
Grandma = Above you
Telemarketer = Below you
Students = Below you
Children = Below You

If this is truly the way you view people, I think I know how much respect you've earned from those you view (and probably treat) as "below" you.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:58 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
So your respect for another human being is determined by your perception of where they lie on the continuum of power in relationship to you?

President = Above you
Mayor = Above you
Grandma = Above you
Telemarketer = Below you
Students = Below you
Children = Below You

If this is truly the way you view people, I think I know how much respect you've earned from those you view (and probably treat) as "below" you.
Respect is earned through experience and accomplishment. It's not earned from people beneath you (on the respect chain). Your place is just your place.

I respect my teachers because they are my teachers. I respect my elders because they are my elders. I respect my boss because he's my boss. I expect my children to respect me as their parent. I expect my students to respect me as their teacher.

So what does expecting my students to respect me say about how I treat them? And why shouldn't I expect my students to respect me as their teacher?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Respect is earned through experience and accomplishment. It's not earned from people beneath you (on the respect chain). Your place is just your place.
Wait. You don't respect the people who are "beneath" you?

Do you respect the uneducated gardener who mows your lawn?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:18 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Respect is earned through experience and accomplishment.
Perhaps you wish it was so, but in reality......not so much. How one treats others is probably the way most respect is earned.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:26 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:

I respect my teachers because they are my teachers. I respect my elders because they are my elders. I respect my boss because he's my boss. I expect my children to respect me as their parent. I expect my students to respect me as their teacher.

So what does expecting my students to respect me say about how I treat them? And why shouldn't I expect my students to respect me as their teacher?
I disagree. Respect is earned by the way you treat and interact with people. I know very bright, accomplished and experienced people for whom I have NO respect based on their poor treatment of and distain for others.

You should expect your students to respect your class rules and those of the school. As for their respecting you, it's not something you can expect, but something that even you have to earn.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Is this some sort of joke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.