Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 12:52 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,660,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
So this woman's discipline method is hitting them in public?
How lovely and caring of her!

I always see ghetto people hitting their children in public. People who are 'slightly' educated NEVER hit their children. Much less in a public setting.

There are better ways to teach your child besides using corporal punishment, you know?

I'm glad she's sitting in central booking right now, maybe she'll think twice before hitting her child in public again.

You should be ashamed of wanting the overburdened court system to handle parenting philosophies, and being "glad" that a stressed out mother is being shamed and villified, when there are already a plethora of legitimate criminals out there.

And that isn't even touching the blatantly incorrect superlatives you throw around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 12:58 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Not true at all... I can give you a case in point right now... I work in a classroom. I have a student whose parents never hit him (i'm friends with the parents), out of fear of "damaging his psyche"... This student is and has been a bully for the last few years. Why? Because he knows that phone call home will not result in anything significant and so he continues to do as he chooses. This is the case for many children who go through similar situations. To your point about the number one factor... What I will give you is this... there is a difference between physicial guided discipline and child abuse... Those that deal with the latter are far more prone to violence than the other two cases, but to say that guided discipline causes students to be more violent is asinine.
Reread my post. That's why I said there is such a thing as an appropriate spanking.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 PM

5,147 posts, read 4,976,546 times
Quote:
Exactly right.

If the child is misbehaving and starts an incontrollable public tantrum, and doesn’t react at all to the parent’s verbal commands, then it shows a clear failure on the parent’s part.

Your childhood is a mold of how you will be as an adult.
So if children are brought up with idea that being hit by a parent = discipline, most likely (not always, though) they will grow up to be child hitters themselves.

will children growing up with divorced parents endup with divorcing in their lives? If so, should there be policing on parental divorces?

A well-deserved slap on the butt will teach a stubborn child more effectively. If a child is hit on a weekly basis, there is something to be done about the parents.

By the same token, treating those evil dictatorship governments like north Korea with diplomacy will end up with no changes.

Will sadam h. ever give up on his own?

Old 10-02-2012, 01:01 PM

448 posts, read 685,483 times
So for a slap, her child should be taken away right?

And put in foster care right?

So we're going to act like kids dont get abused,molested,raped and sometimes murdered in NYCs lovely foster care system?

Oh.

Ok.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:04 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
You should be ashamed of wanting the overburdened court system to handle parenting philosophies, and being "glad" that a stressed out mother is being shamed and villified, when there are already a plethora of legitimate criminals out there.

And that isn't even touching the blatantly incorrect superlatives you throw around.
If this woman is capable and feels no shame in publicly hitting her child, one has to wonder how she treats him behind closed doors, at home, when nobody else is looking.

I reiterate; I'm glad she was arrested for hitting her child in public.

If you believe beating up or hitting your child is good parenting, please do it behind closed doors.
But don't subjugate us -the general public- to witness your uncivilized display of discipline.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:16 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,504 times
Quote:
If this woman is capable and feels no shame in publicly hitting her child, one has to wonder how she treats him behind closed doors, at home, when nobody else is looking.

I reiterate; I'm glad she was arrested for hitting her child in public.

If you believe beating up or hitting your child is good parenting, please do it behind closed doors.
But don't subjugate us -the general public- to witness your uncivilized display of discipline.
In other words... let your children run rampid in public doing whatever they please from what they may have possibly picked up from other peers within the school system... gotcha

Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,836,735 times
My parents probably should have hit me so I wouldn't have turned out to be such a d-bag.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:23 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
I remember with my parents a look and some stern words was often enough to get my sister and I in line. But also the diet of these kids has a part, and all the crap in the environment. These kids are always hyped up...

Old 10-02-2012, 01:25 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
In other words... let your children run rampid in public doing whatever they please from what they may have possibly picked up from other peers within the school system... gotcha
Wrong again!!

First off, my children will not burst into uncontrollable tantrums, that's something I will address and teach them from a very early age.
Now, you can put all the blame you want on the school system, peers, etc... And I agree that to a certain extent they influence the upbringing of a child, but the most crucial and defining influence is at home.

A child's early behavior is 70% the parent's responsability and 30% other factors, IMO.

If you have to get physical at any level, you have a child raising a child....
And if the child’s behavior seems uncontrollable without it, you lost the battle from the beginning... not enough patience and communication.

In any case, there are better and more efficient ways to discipline your child besides hitting him, you know.

Last edited by likeminas; 10-02-2012 at 01:35 PM..

Old 10-02-2012, 01:37 PM

175 posts, read 353,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
So for a slap, her child should be taken away right?

And put in foster care right?

So we're going to act like kids dont get abused,molested,raped and sometimes murdered in NYCs lovely foster care system?

Oh.

Ok.
The child shouldn't be taken away. However, if you assault a person/child in a public place, please believe that the probability of the police becoming involved increases. When police get involved, stuff happens. Your friend should have known that. If she didn't, why would she be considered a responsible parent?

No, your friend slapped a child in a public train station. That is not something a responsible parent does. Would Dr. Huxtable slap Trudy upside the head while waiting for the 4/5? No, he wouldn't, because he is a good parent and knows that slapping a defenseless kid in a public setting is going to bring heat on the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting