Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 03:27 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,671,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
It has nothing to do with fear.
Than what does it have to do with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 04:29 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
You are the adult and she is the child. If your rules are to sit at the table to eat dinner then those are the rules that she needs to follow.

I'm a retired early childhood special education teacher. Time and time again parents would tell me that their child "never sits down to eat" and these same children would sit at the table and eat snack at school without any problem.

I remember one home visit where the 4 year old student would run around the room, slow down and grab a bite of hot dog while still running and then make another circle or two around the livingroom before grabbing another bite of his lunch. He ate the entire hog dog that way. His mom said that he never sat down to eat at home. Mom said that she only gave him food that he could eat while "on the run". She didn't believe me when I said that it wasn't a problem at school. I invited her to come to school and to arrive during our snack time. Mom did & was amazed to see her son eating his snack and drinking his juice while sitting at the table.

I expected him to sit and gently reminded him to sit a few times (and ignored his screaming & complaining) and he started sitting at the table within a few days of when school started. It took his family a lot longer to break his bad habit at home but fairly quickly he sat down to eat as well.

Good luck to you. I'm sure that it will work for you as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Yikes, that sounds crazy dangerous - HotDogs are one of the foods kids are most likely to choke on

I know. I sometimes wonder how some of my students even survived childhood with the "poor choices' their parents made. This child did start to sit down at the table and eat with his family and Mom did start to cut up easy to choke on foods (after I suggested that to her).

P.S. I just remembered that Tommy and his brothers did not survive childhood after the huge fire in their house. Their parents did not have working smoke detectors. But, sadly, that is a topic for a different thread.

Last edited by germaine2626; 10-31-2012 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: added P.S.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:56 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,531,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Than what does it have to do with?
It has to do with love and teaching the child to respect and obey those who have authority in this life over her. I must admit though that I did not spank my daughter much after the age of 4 (I spanked mine very early). Seems spanking does not help many kids already in the teens.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:25 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,761,737 times
Yes, we all know hitting = love?

Old 11-01-2012, 01:56 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
It has nothing to do with fear.
Yes it does...fear of pain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting