Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 05:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
My point is these kids are running up and down the isles ahahhhhhhhhh ahhhhhahahahahhhhh. Yes my child has sensory issues, mom says this as the child is rubbing all over stuff.

I just got it again today. Girl looks totally normal, has worn legging her whole life mom states this, says daughter has sensory issues, no lady your daughter isn't used to wearing jeans.

Tags in clothing make me want to drop a box of kittens into a volcano, slouchy socks, loose jeans, baggy clothes, rolled down waistbands, the ridge in socks.....etc annoy the **** out of me too, I never have and never will have sensory issues. I'm just burger king, I'll have it my way.

My concern is the parents are self diagnosing or even worse doctors are labeling every little Timmy and little Susie as having sensory issues. Seriously it is degrading to kids who actually have sensory issues, oh little tommy doesn't like wool, he has sensory issues while little jimmy who actually has sensory issues is like ***** please you have no idea.

All hail A64!!
That is probably because she has sensory issues My son could not go into a store and not touch things. It was literally impossible for him, and no amount of reminding or scolding worked. Since you don't actually know any of these kids, or what a doctor may have told them, perhaps you shouldn't just assume their parents are making stuff up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
"sensory issues" is a term used to describe children with sensory issues not children who are picky about clothing.
Everyone to a degree is picky about clothing and fabrics, which does not mean they have sensory issues.
Quote:
It doesn't sum up anything.
Just baffles me because apparently a vast majority of female children have sensory issues.

One woman came in child was not with her, her daughter wheelchair bound and didn't like certain fabrics, I can see that clearly being sensory issues.
The child whining about something being too itchy is not a sensory issue.
oh, pardon me... I didn't realize you'd become an expert.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:15 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times
Sigh. With all the addressable problems in the world - things in which you can actually make a difference - why waste time and energy upsetting yourself about this?

It just seems so petty.

(For what it's worth, I can remember complaining, "There's a wrinkle in my sock!" most mornings when I was about eight. My mother would patiently attempt to pull my socks this way and that, trying to alleviate my discomfort. Different kinds of socks were tried, to no avail. I walked to school; never was late, had no apparent learning disabilities, did not have ADHD, got good grades, etc. What was it all about?? I have no idea, and wrinkles in my socks no longer bother me, though I can remember the uncomfortable sensation on the soles of my feet very clearly - it was quite real, while it lasted).

Old 11-15-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
No that's discrediting to people go have actual sensory issues.

Sometimes my bra is uncomfy or is itchy, does that mean I have sensory issues as well?
This I agree with. At least I would agree with it if you actually knew anything about these people. You are ASSuming the parents are making it up with little or no knowledge about the disorder. The fact that you think a child in a wheelchair has it and some other kid doesn't is a clear indication that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Of course it is.

May you never have a child who is so uncomfortable and itchy because of a fabric she is not only whining she is crying.

Your job does not include getting to make decisions on which child has a sensory issue and how it affects them. Your job is to smile and say, "Thank you. Come again." That's it.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:41 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
Just baffles me because apparently a vast majority of female children have sensory issues.

One woman came in child was not with her, her daughter wheelchair bound and didn't like certain fabrics, I can see that clearly being sensory issues.
Of course it's a sensory issue. Sensory means of or pertaining to the senses. If the girl has an issue with something creating a sensation that is unpleasant she has sensory issues with that thing. Her issues may not rise to the level of being Sensory Integration Disorder but that doesn't mean she doesn't have any issues with her senses.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:26 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,761,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Then at 4 she developed a dairy allergy that no longer exists at 7.

I know there are true allergies and sensory processing issues, and I KNOW no one would choose to live that way or "have it their way." One of my sons has some of these sensory problems. But the prevalence of certain syndromes today, and people who jump on a bandwagon for attention, can raise suspicions in some people, like txtqueen.
Not to discredit the rest of your post but allergies CAN be outgrown. I had an allergy to strawberries as a young child that i outgrew around the age of 6-8 or so. They're my favorite fruit now.

You can also develop allergies later in life too, pregnancy can be attributed to that as well. Post baby, I'm now allergic to most antibiotics (penicillin), luckily for me, it wasnt severe when I discovered that.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:25 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
Quote:

No the vast majority of female children who have parents who care enough to return the clothing that bothers them at the one store in the one place you work have sensory issues. My guess would we that is actually a VERY meniscus portion of the population of female children. Your job is to take the clothing back with a smile not question who does and does not have sensory issues. Now I remember why I hate shopping so much.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:21 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,976,657 times
Omg, it's not long I bicker with these people about it.
I smile nod and try hard to find something they like.

I just find it mind effing that at least once a day someone says they child has sensory issues.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:

I just find it mind effing that at least once a day someone says they child has sensory issues.
Lot of itching going on out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting