Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 05:09 PM

66 posts, read 144,458 times

Advertisements

I'd tell her that you want to know more about him so that you can be comfortable with them spending time together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 05:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Ah yes. Welcome to the world of preteens and teens. It is just the beginning. This is when everyone gets the hard lesson that parenting is a lot harder and less "black and white" than it appears when it's not you having to do it.

Holding hands in public at 12 isn't something I'd generally get wound up over. But you know your daughter and we don't. If she's not one to get into trouble or generally make poor decisions then I'd trust her until/unless she gives a reason not to. That said, this is a very good time to make sure that the lines of communication flow well between you. Talk - not lecture - actually have conversations with her (about anything and everything) that go both directions. Listen. Make sure she knows she can talk to you. The next 5-10 years will be much better if you get that part down. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,872 times
I myself are the minority here. I personally believe that "hand holding" can lead to other things. I don't believe that's always the case, but the possibility is always there.

12 is such a tricky age, you know? Ages 5-7 you hate the opposite sex, 8-11, you learn to live with them. 12-17, those are the prime ages where feelings may develop, and yes, it may be innocent puppy love. I was on the El the other day and I was hearing a kid, no more than 15, talking about how he's been having sex since he was 12 or 13. I don't have a problem with a 15 year old dating, but why can't they date without sex? I did.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
I don't see a thing wrong with "premarital interdigitation" at 12. I did it, my sons did it. The boys' mother didn't because I was her first date when she was 19. Holding hands doesn't lead to anything else if you treat them right. If you show you trust them and talk to them and listen to how they are feeling, in most cases you don't have to worry about anything.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I myself are the minority here. I personally believe that "hand holding" can lead to other things. I don't believe that's always the case, but the possibility is always there.

12 is such a tricky age, you know? Ages 5-7 you hate the opposite sex, 8-11, you learn to live with them. 12-17, those are the prime ages where feelings may develop, and yes, it may be innocent puppy love. I was on the El the other day and I was hearing a kid, no more than 15, talking about how he's been having sex since he was 12 or 13. I don't have a problem with a 15 year old dating, but why can't they date without sex? I did.
Right that is exactly what I am afraid of. What if something happens and she ends up pregnant or something. She is way too young in my opinion to be even put in these types of situations. Cant kids just be kids, why do they have to grow up so darn fast!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Right that is exactly what I am afraid of. What if something happens and she ends up pregnant or something. She is way too young in my opinion to be even put in these types of situations. Cant kids just be kids, why do they have to grow up so darn fast!

If she "ends up pregnant or something" it won't be due to holding hands.

Talk. Listen.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:58 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
It sounds like it's a good time for a follow-up talk to the one about where babies came from.

Seriously, if you haven't had these kinds of conversations for at least the last five years, there's no telling what kind of misinformation she has.

Kids grow up at the rate they do, just like puppies and kittens, they never stay young, cute, and innocent long enough. But you do get to influence them, if you don't wait too long. And if you do wait too long, by the time it matters, you will have lost your credibility by not being up front with them.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:59 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
If she "ends up pregnant or something" it won't be due to holding hands.

Talk. Listen.
I guess my struggle is how to approach her. My wife seems to think I am over reacting and by talking to her about this I will be doing more harm than good.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:01 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Oh brother. Holding hands is as sweet and innocent as you can get.

And anything can lead to anything else. Humans are sexual beings.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:01 PM

66 posts, read 144,458 times
I would keep an eye on how much he contacts her outside of school. If it starts to interfere with family time, dinner time, etc, then I'd sit her down and tell her that you aren't ready for that kind of stuff yet in your family.

Does she text with him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting