Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 09:41 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

I vote YES, WDW is more than worth it.

We went 6 times, starting when our kids were 5. Each trip was wonderful, for us and the kids!

It certainly didn't cost 5k, not for all the trips, let alone one trip. We budgeted carefully, and utilized FF miles, discounts, etc, etc. A magic time was had by all! Enjoy your children while you can, they grow up way too fast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 05:01 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,328 times
Okay this thread has reminded me of how badly I want to go back.< We did the park when I was 12 (it was awesome) and a five years ago and I've always wanted to go back. Each time we did it for 1 day, just magic kingdom.

We were debating going to Myrtle in 5 weeks and I'd pretty much made up my mind that we were going to go because I can't take one more day of snow, let along 6 or 7 (or 8 or 9 if its a really bad year) more weeks. But looking at or budget we can go to Disney this summer and stay at the park for a couple of days, then take a car over to the beach for a couple more days.

And really, Myrtle Beach is pretty boring. Okay we can do this, we can make it through winter and hang in for a real family vaca.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
So, I am confused -- why are you here then?

Right. You truly just love the sound of your own keystrokes.
Some parents also are only interested in buying memories that kids can actively remember. They fail to realize that the climate of happiness is not always remembered but is surely felt from the time a child is small. Additionally, even children too young to understand something like a cartoon figure will feel, internalize and understand their older siblings reactions. Not that that needs to happen a DW but it can.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:13 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
Are you kidding me? He was 10 months old. He didn't have any idea who Mickey Mouse is or what was going on. I've seen my 10 month old crawl over to the empty box that his diapers came in with "a look of joy on his face." Personally I think the idea of my ten month old son/daughter sitting in the lap of a total stranger dressed up as a giant rat, er, mouse, is kind of creepy.

I'm not trying to belittle or demean the experiences of other families as a previous poster implied. I just don't understand the way some people are describing how happy it made them, as if there is no possible way to achieve such happiness with your kids in any other venue doing something else. It makes me wonder if any of you doing this are on the Disney payroll.

Screw Disneyworld. I'd rather take my kids on a tour of Chernobyl for a family vacation!
Awwww...you sound like such a fun dad. Chernobyl sounds like a perfect getaway for you.

And yes he did know who Mickey was... he was squealing his name as he crawled over to him. There are many things that make many people happy. Why do you care if Disney makes people happy? My children also love the beach and that makes them very happy as well. Got a problem with that too? Maybe you can find a nice beach in Russia with some nuclear reactors close by that will make for some great family photos.

You did a great job at "not trying to belittle" by the way.

Last edited by Flamingomo; 02-26-2013 at 07:42 AM..

Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Haven't read the entire thread but I have to say I pass. We went to Disney World with our first set of kids and while it was fun, the endless lines, expensive food and contriteness of it all reminded me there are so many REAL things to introduce our kids to. So any vacations are planned around history or nature. We went to Santa Fe, Tucson, Phoenix, Albuquerque, NC mountains, Montana, etc to learn about history or see natural beauty.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:21 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
I don't get that some think that if you take your kid to Disney, you automatically don't take them on other types of vacations in their lifetimes.

As I stated earlier, I went to Disney as a child but I also went to 47 other states.

If you don't want to take your child to Disney...then don't....no need to make up stuff to try to justify your answer.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I don't get that some think that if you take your kid to Disney, you automatically don't take them on other types of vacations in their lifetimes.

As I stated earlier, I went to Disney as a child but I also went to 47 other states.

If you don't want to take your child to Disney...then don't....no need to make up stuff to try to justify your answer.

Or that having fun is somehow a less valid way to spend a vacation and doesn't count as a "real" or valuable experience.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:31 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
but you don't understand. FUN is so personal. Fun to my family is not going on a mechanical ride. Fun is seeing the Grand Canyon or watching a sunset over the ocean. We all love fun but define it differently.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:33 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post

I don't get it either...or the rudeness attached to it. As a child we went all over the place as well. We didn't have much growing up as there were 8 kids in my family, but my parents always took us on vacation every summer. Every year to the Jersey shore and every few years, someplace else...Williamsburg, VA, Canada, Maryland, Georgia, and yes, once to Disney...just to name a few. We can't take our kids on too many vacations, but I ask them what they want to do and Disney is where they have wanted to go or to the beach. Now its California. We are hoping to take a road trip this summer for a couple of weeks to see some sights around the country if we can swing it. We plan on moving out West anyway, so we can save exploring CA for when we get there.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
but you don't understand. FUN is so personal. Fun to my family is not going on a mechanical ride. Fun is seeing the Grand Canyon or watching a sunset over the ocean. We all love fun but define it differently.
I agree....what I take issue with is the tone. "OUR family does things that involve history and nature - you know...,.REAL things" and even in the response above "fun to my family not going on a MECHANICAL ride...." Good for you. It doesn't make your fun any more REAL than folks who enjoy Disney.

ETA - I've been to most every state, several different countries - all kinds of educational things and yes they were enjoyable and sometimes fun. I still LOVE going to Disney from time to time. It evokes memories and is something we, as a family, enjoy doing together. And that time and laughter is very valuable.

Last edited by maciesmom; 02-26-2013 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting