Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 10:14 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,147,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Well people we know with quads or quints went on to have more babies, so it must not be so horrid, or they would not have any more kids.
I can't imagine they had the energy or time to do what it takes to make more babies, much less take care of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 11:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times
I can. I have twins and they were very easy babies. They slept through the night after about 3 weeks and were the only ones who sometimes didn't mind playing in a playpen. Their older brother was just 2 when they were born.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:49 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,388,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I can. I have twins and they were very easy babies. They slept through the night after about 3 weeks and were the only ones who sometimes didn't mind playing in a playpen. Their older brother was just 2 when they were born.
I had twins 5 months ago, 4 days before their big sister turned too.

-------

To answer the OP question. After getting through the early weeks and with breastfeeding and pumping, and taking care of 3 small children, I just cannot imagine taking care of FOUR infants, at least not without significant help.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:32 PM

10 posts, read 18,707 times
Default 4 babies at once

my sister had 4 babies at once, although these little creatures are so much adorable but when it comes to breast feed all of them have the tendency to make my sister exhausted. i will suggest parents who has triplets or four babies at a time they must hire a maid to help the mom in day to day works (changing diapers, baby bathing, clothes changing etc.) only mom cannot handle 4 babies at a time.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:21 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,400,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Well people we know with quads or quints went on to have more babies, so it must not be so horrid, or they would not have any more kids.
I actually saw this quite a bit in other parenting forums - I think in a lot of cases that the parents felt like they were so busy doing the work of parenting that they miss out on the fun part so they have another baby to get those experiences.

Imagine the first visit to a pumpkin patch or easter egg hunting or visit to Santa - with three babies/toddlers. Getting everyone ready, packing everything you need, getting everyone in and out of the car, ect....

Old 07-27-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I actually saw this quite a bit in other parenting forums - I think in a lot of cases that the parents felt like they were so busy doing the work of parenting that they miss out on the fun part so they have another baby to get those experiences.

Imagine the first visit to a pumpkin patch or easter egg hunting or visit to Santa - with three babies/toddlers. Getting everyone ready, packing everything you need, getting everyone in and out of the car, ect....
I view that differently. As a parent you are busy with either one or more infants, or one or more two year olds, or one or more 4 year olds if you have one or several at a time.

What I think is actually harder is juggling all the different age groups. When kids are spread out in age, whether multiple births are included or not, a parent with a 16 year old learning to drive and needing pratice, and a 12 year old in middle school wanting help with homework, an 8 year old wanting to play in a softball leagues games and needs to be at practice and a 4 year old not yet in school will have it the most hectic.

At least with a multiple birth, they're all at the same stage, not at all different stages with all different needs.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:34 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,510,887 times
I just now watching the movie " Half a Dozen Babies" on LMN. A true story about a couple who have 6 babies at once. They were born in 1993 and they all survived.

Dilley sextuplets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cute movie.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:26 AM

168 posts, read 314,803 times
I know what my mother went through with 3 kids, one at a time. 4 at once must be worse than hell.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:52 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,400,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I view that differently. As a parent you are busy with either one or more infants, or one or more two year olds, or one or more 4 year olds if you have one or several at a time.

What I think is actually harder is juggling all the different age groups. When kids are spread out in age, whether multiple births are included or not, a parent with a 16 year old learning to drive and needing pratice, and a 12 year old in middle school wanting help with homework, an 8 year old wanting to play in a softball leagues games and needs to be at practice and a 4 year old not yet in school will have it the most hectic.

At least with a multiple birth, they're all at the same stage, not at all different stages with all different needs.
Well, most of women seem to have the singleton shortly after the first bunch so I don't think they were thinking that far down the road.

I'd agree that an equal number of kids spread out presents its own challenges... We're considering taking my daughter to DisneyLand and LegoLand this fall/late summer. We live in SoCal so neither is a big once-in-a lifetime trip and I think she's at the perfect age for both (3.5yo).

I'm one of four. One year, my parents finally had enough money to take us to Florida to DisneyLand. But by the time - some of us were too old , I was already working at the Local Six Flags so totally "over" theme parks. And my youngest sister has no memory at all of the trip since she was too young.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Well, most of women seem to have the singleton shortly after the first bunch so I don't think they were thinking that far down the road.

I'd agree that an equal number of kids spread out presents its own challenges... We're considering taking my daughter to DisneyLand and LegoLand this fall/late summer. We live in SoCal so neither is a big once-in-a lifetime trip and I think she's at the perfect age for both (3.5yo).

I'm one of four. One year, my parents finally had enough money to take us to Florida to DisneyLand. But by the time - some of us were too old , I was already working at the Local Six Flags so totally "over" theme parks. And my youngest sister has no memory at all of the trip since she was too young.
I think those are the parents who really love all the hectic times and the juggling. They don't want diapers for only 2 years, they want more years of them. They don't want to tie shoes for just 4 years, they want to keep doing it.

There was a woman here who had 3 kids, at age 44 she got triplets and the next year had one. I suspect she and her husband just love the whole kid thing whether they get them all at once or spread them out or both.

I actually think if you're going to tie shoes, it's almost not harder tying more than two while you're at it. With multiples or even very closely spaced children, what makes it easier is that they're all the same stage. I think what's harder (but also fun) is the juggling -- how to help one with algebra while a little one wants to be read a book and needs to be bathed and put to bed. Or carting around older kids, going to softball games and bringing along an infant.

And like you said, vacationing with all kids of the same age could be more fun because they'd all be into the same thing, trying to fit all ages into the same vacation trip is less easy. But -- some want to extend the years of everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting