Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 08:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,830,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
You're right. It doesn't have to be the way my mother-in-law did/does it. Still having a two year old and knowing how much attn I like to be able to pay to him, I know the kids would get less parental attn if there was a couple of them, same age.
There is only so much time and energy to go around, right? I just see it mjob not the sibling's job to interact with my child. Maybe I'm trying to be a supetwoman but I want to be able to really spend one-on-one with each child. The more kids there are (multiples or not), the harder that gets. And bless all the preemies. Our son is an ex-preemie and they don't all have to be fussy and have trouble sleeping. Breastfeeding, wearing the little one and the comfort of mom at night in bed works wonders.
True -- but it's not that the parents can ignore the older child and devote all their time to the infant. It's going to be a juggling act any way you do it if you have more than one child. Older children also have needs and you can't ignore the fact the 12 year old needs help with homework and the 8 year old needs to be picked up from his friend's house when the baby is hungry.

Yes, there is also nighttime parenting -- the bonding that you mentioned.

I think it depends on energy levels and what someone is accustomed to -- those from large families often absolutely adore having siblings, some can't imagine life without them and they were an important aspect of their childhood.

I think multiple children is easier because someone has to play with a 4 year old -- if there is a sibling, they may be perfectly happy playing with legos or whatever together, but playing with a parent works also, but it can be easier on a parent trying to get something else done when kids have each other for some things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 11:31 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,157,329 times
I hear you. I absolutely adore my siblings and I am so glad that I have them. I'd like to have more children. I just could not see having more than one at a time! You are right that it is a juggling act in any case!
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
True -- but it's not that the parents can ignore the older child and devote all their time to the infant. It's going to be a juggling act any way you do it if you have more than one child. Older children also have needs and you can't ignore the fact the 12 year old needs help with homework and the 8 year old needs to be picked up from his friend's house when the baby is hungry.

Yes, there is also nighttime parenting -- the bonding that you mentioned.

I think it depends on energy levels and what someone is accustomed to -- those from large families often absolutely adore having siblings, some can't imagine life without them and they were an important aspect of their childhood.

I think multiple children is easier because someone has to play with a 4 year old -- if there is a sibling, they may be perfectly happy playing with legos or whatever together, but playing with a parent works also, but it can be easier on a parent trying to get something else done when kids have each other for some things.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 AM

340 posts, read 525,235 times
I used to babysit for a family with 5 kids, 3 in diapers. Between the feedings and changings, that in itself was a full-time job.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:21 PM

18,507 posts, read 31,734,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
What was your thought/going through your mind, when the nurse told you that?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

heart failure.
OMG how are we going to do this?

Old 08-06-2013, 10:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,542,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
heart failure.
OMG how are we going to do this?
Lol...but did you have triples in your family?
Did they have different sleep schedules? That would drive me nuts :-)

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-06-2013, 10:10 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,542,743 times
My brother in law had 2 sets of twins right after each other.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting