Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 12:05 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,316,818 times

Advertisements

Threatening to call DHS on them usually makes them turn ghost white.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:00 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,405,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Don't strike or spank your child ever- It does not work and creates more deep seated problems later in the area of trust and security - If you see a stranger hitting - spanking or abusing their kids - IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Take care of your own. You can not control stupid people...or educate them- there is no point.
Of course it is, and of course you can. There are plenty of child protection agencies you can call nationwide. Naturally, you want to choose your battles wisely (not go and report someone for slapping their kid's hand away from a stove), but actual abuse should always be reported at very least. Why? Because it is your business. Or perhaps you'll concede that it's your business when/if your child is assaulted by theirs because they were abused as a child and you did nothing to stop it?

Old 08-10-2013, 11:55 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,837,058 times
I just saw a mother slap her daughter in the face at a wal-mart parking lot as they were getting out of the vehicle. She was yelling "put on your shoes (smack), you can't walk in there without shoes, what's wrong with you (smack)."

Maybe she was overreacting but she seemed like a good mother to me. I certainly didn't call child protective services, it may be a cultural thing.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-11-2013 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: Removed racial description

Old 08-11-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I just saw a mother slap her daughter in the face at a wal-mart parking lot as they were getting out of the vehicle. She was yelling "put on your shoes (smack), you can't walk in there without shoes, what's wrong with you (smack)."

Maybe she was overreacting but she seemed like a good mother to me. I certainly didn't call child protective services, it may be a cultural thing.
This is the kind of thing that should be reported. Clearly, this mother (with or without blaming it on "culture") cannot help but abuse her child, both physically and psychologically. When they can't even hide the fact that they do this kind of thing to their children - when they slap and insult their children in public - you can be sure even worse is going on at home. How old was this child (or do I really want to know)?

And how on earth did you get the impression she was a "good mother"? Was she a well-dressed child abuser, is that it?

Old 08-11-2013, 07:24 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,505,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Not if they are familiar with the law.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:45 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,316,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Most aren't however. And even if they are they don't usually feel like having to deal with that hassle.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Quote:
Ummm, maybe we should specify who "them" is before suggesting that what they're doing is legal? The thread topic is people who "beat/slap/hit/spank" their kids. I would think at least beating a child is illegal if only on a Thursday?

Seriously. Child protective services have more power than parents (particularly abusive or ignorant parents) like to admit. No, a single report isn't enough to take custody away. But it can be enough to conduct an investigation and you have to mind your Ps and Qs. Those parents who have a "I don't give a rat's ass; they ain't tellin' me how to raise my kid" attitude are especially likely to lose specifically due to their apathy and hostile attitude - two traits not exactly helpful to their case.

But honestly... Never threaten to call child protective services. If you're going to do it, do it and remain anonymous. I don't believe it should ever be used to try and scare someone straight. Even if there was proof of its effectiveness, I say **** 'em. If they're aware enough to respond to such a threat, they've no excuse for their abusive behavior in the first place, and they don't deserve a second chance.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:11 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,505,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Ummm, maybe we should specify who "them" is before suggesting that what they're doing is legal? The thread topic is people who "beat/slap/hit/spank" their kids. I would think at least beating a child is illegal if only on a Thursday?
I've been alive 38 years and have never once seen anyone beat any child. Not in public or private. So I was going on the assumption that the word was simply there for a rhetorical purpose.

Quote:
Child protective services have more power than parents (particularly abusive or ignorant parents) like to admit. No, a single report isn't enough to take custody away. But it can be enough to conduct an investigation and you have to mind your Ps and Qs. Those parents who have a "I don't give a rat's ass; they ain't tellin' me how to raise my kid" attitude are especially likely to lose specifically due to their apathy and hostile attitude - two traits not exactly helpful to their case.
CPS has a lot of power when dealing with parents who (1) don't know their rights or (2) are too broke to afford an attorney to force them to back the hell off. Their power, in other words, is mostly by default; the system is not set up to make them unaccountable little tyrants, it just happens to have turned out that way.

When they actually have to go up against seasoned attorneys, they lose big. The best illustration, perhaps, being Calabretta v. Floyd, the Roe v. Wade of family rights.

Last edited by djacques; 08-11-2013 at 11:09 AM..

Old 08-11-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I've been alive 38 years and have never once seen anyone beat any child. Not in public or private. So I was going on the assumption that the word was simply there for a rhetorical purpose.
What word? I think the general point of the thread was to ask what you would do if you did see someone beat their child. I agree you're not likely to see it. But if you ever do, I hope you do the right thing.

Quote:
CPS has a lot of power when dealing with parents who (1) don't know their rights or (2) are too broke to afford an attorney to force them to back the hell off. Their power, in other words, is mostly by default; the system is not set up to make them unaccountable little tyrants, it just happens to have turned out that way.

When they actually have to go up against seasoned attorneys, they lose big. The best illustration, perhaps, being Calabretta v. Floyd, the Roe v. Wade of family rights.
If and when CPS is abusing what little power they have (wherever it comes from) they shouldn't. But assuming "the family" (meaning the parents) should always have the ability to push them off isn't safe either. To be sure, even a guilty man can go free if he gets a good enough attorney, even if there are witnesses testifying against him. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't do all we can to at least come close to justice.

Take Jay F's example. Money or no money, no "parent" should get away with slapping their kid in the face repeatedly in between insults for not putting on their shoes. And that's regardless of the kid's age. Something should be done about it, and the "family's rights" shouldn't get in the way.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:23 PM

103 posts, read 164,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokistic View Post
If you live in an area where most are Ghetto type of people then this is what happens constantly. I will not interfered because some of those Ghetto people tend to defend each other and find this behavior acceptable. If the area is mostly gentrify, then maybe you can intervene. Someone (a transplant) will likely call the Cops if the Ghetto person start to attack you. I am just telling you how it is unfortunately.
You don't have to live in such an area. All you have to do is share the same space with them It bothers me because I know that they are ignorant and then my calling them out may cause them to take it out on the kid at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting