Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 08:04 PM

410 posts, read 1,108,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't think there is anything your friend can do about her child's birth certificate now, though maybe I'm wrong. Re: the name Caitlin:

Irish Names: You say Caitlyn, I say Kaytlynne...

Poor, poor dear Q'8-llynne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 01:22 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerguy View Post
Funny thread!

I don't have any children of my own, but I work with several hundred children every year so I've seen it all.

It drives me crazy when a parent saddles their child with a stupid name or worse, some ridiculous and incorrect spelling. Wow. Parents are only setting their child up for a lifetime of repeating their name and its spelling at every turn, and possibly failure. Of course, when you invent a name out of the clear blue sky, I guess the spelling of it will probably be a problem too.

I knew a girl with a name that sounded like "Genevieve", which is fine name, but the spelling of it only had one "v". It is impossible to spell "Genevieve" without two v's. Geez!! And I've also known a "Katie" without a "t".

I can deal with the giving of kids names that are traditional surnames (Madison, Hudson, Hunter, etc.), but then you start to get weird spellings like "Madyson", "Madysyn", "Madasonn", "Hunterr", etc. Ridiculous! What's wrong with people?

I've also known a DearAbby, a Camry and Lexus (sisters), Rope, Race, Racelynn, I could go on forever.

I also knew a brother (Star) and sister (Sky) growing up whose parents were hippies. Nature names can be good but will be ruined with a bad spelling.

Why do people feel the need to tack "-lynn" onto so many names? (Racelynn, Gracelynn, Brooklyn, Ashlyn, Cashlyn, etc.)

So many of these names look horrible when written. Like Mikayla. AWFUL! But "Michaela", the feminine form of "Michael" looks beautiful. I suspect most parents that pick Makaylah or whatever have no clue about the fact that Mikayluh is actually Michaela.

And then some people want to add symbols to their kid's names. Dashes (and NOT connecting two names, but just a random syllabic dash), apostrophes, accent marks, etc. And 99% of the time, used incorrectly.

Parents should pick a real name for a kid. They may actually grow up to be something. You can call your child anything you want as a nickname, but for goodness sakes give them an actual name.

I feel like telling some of these parents to open a book for crying out loud. There are thousands of great names from history, mythology, the Bible, classic novels. Even room to still be original.

Sorry for the rant, but it goes all over me. I'm thankful my parents were literate, gave me a real name, and spelled it correctly.
I'm sure glad you said "NOT connecting two names." My two names flow together nicely with the hyphen between them; my second name is not capitalized.

My name is unique and I love it. However, I did/do go through life telling everyone, "There is no 'e' on the end."

Some of those names you listed are really out there.

My mom gave me and my siblings normal names because her siblings had weird names. Mom had a lovely name that she thought was weird, but I loved it. For a long time I thought she was just boring in her naming, but now I can see why she gave us all normal boring names.

At my baby shower we spent a lot of time trying to come up with a unique boy name mixing letters from all my brothers' and father's names. I can't remember any of them, but they would have looked something like this: Fricomieavobal. No one came up with a usable name at all.
I named him Matthew... how special.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:07 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
(Shatobreean is actually spelled Chateaubriand.)
Wait, what? People actually give their kids the first name "Chateaubriand"?

Old 05-06-2013, 08:29 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,323,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Wait, what? People actually give their kids the first name "Chateaubriand"?
Well, it's originally a last name, so it just follows a trend...

Old 05-06-2013, 12:41 PM

14 posts, read 29,387 times
Here is a creative name.....how about Hershella? Makes me crave chocolate when I hear that name.....

Another good one is...Walterina!!!!!!! Whoa! This had to be a man named Walter who never had the son he wanted.....a precious daughter came around and BLAMMO! Lifelong name wrangling!

Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,745,349 times
My paternal Great-Grandma was named "Willie". No, not short for "Wilhelmina" and in my family history search I have not found any "Williams" she might have been named after either. It's a bit of a mystery. While I wouldn't call it a "stupid name" it's certainly made some of my genealogy research a bit difficult... and I am sure it wasn't the easiest for her with such a "boy name" being born in 1875!

Old 05-06-2013, 06:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
My paternal Great-Grandma was named "Willie". No, not short for "Wilhelmina" and in my family history search I have not found any "Williams" she might have been named after either. It's a bit of a mystery. While I wouldn't call it a "stupid name" it's certainly made some of my genealogy research a bit difficult... and I am sure it wasn't the easiest for her with such a "boy name" being born in 1875!
I used to work with a lady named Johnnie. That was her real name. Not short for anything and not a nickname.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Re the misused dash or accent: I know of a kid named Blaze... with an accent on the e, which would make it

bla·sé (blä-z)
adj.
1. Uninterested because of frequent exposure or indulgence.
2. Unconcerned; nonchalant: had a blasé attitude about housecleaning.
3. Very sophisticated.

It is, of course, supposed to be Blaze, as in "fire."

Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,903,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
The "ie" ending ("Willie" rather than "Willy") indicates that this is a female name, since your g-grandma was born in 1875. "ie" as an ending of of girls' names seems to have come from Scotland, and was very trendy from around 1875 well into the early 1900s: Annie, Susie, Mollie, etc. all occur in my family history from this time period. As does Willie, come to think of it, on the other side of my family.

Often Willie was used with a distinctly female middle name - Willie Mae seems to have been popular. The Willie in my family was one of about eight sisters - and only two brothers, which may have been a factor in her naming.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
I can't find it now but someone mentioned the name Genevieve. I had an aunt Genevieve and thought it was a beautiful name. Back in the fifties, there was a French actress who frequently appeared on the Jack Parr "Tonight Show" who was named Genevieve. She pronounced it the French way as Juan-Vee-Eev. So my aunt tried to get everyone to pronounce her name that way to but wasn't to successful.

We mostly called her Aunt Gene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting