Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 08:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniemae View Post
A name like Shatobreean makes me think of "someone of color," which I also happen to be. I probably butchered the mother's spelling as it's been a few days since the name was shown on a local news report by a station broadcast that reaches my town. French food is not on my radar, so it took me a few seconds to recognize the similarity to the dish's name. Judging by the news report, Shato is/was a male.
You bring up an interesting point there w/spelling. Some names start out as one thing, e.g. "Michaela", female for "Michael" and end up as something else entirely such as "Makayla", which really does not have the same connotation. (Shatobreean is actually spelled Chateaubriand.) Also "Brianna" (Briana), female for Brian, is often spelled "Breeanna" , "Brieanna", etc, which is not the same. Either the parents don't know the meaning of the original name or they don't care, maybe a little bit of both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
When I was in college I worked part time in retail sales with a woman in her early 30's whose name was Gay. I used to get a kick every time a customer asked her her name and she'd say "I'm Gay" The look on their face was priceless.

I also worked with a woman from the Phillipines named Clitilda, which somehow always made me think of........... :-)

I also had a customer that became one of my regulars with the last name of Frankenstein......and he was a doctor and insisted on being addressed as "Dr. Frankenstein"!!!!
"Gay" used to be a popular girl's name, say in the late 40s. Both DH and I went to school with some "Gays".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 01:29 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf131 View Post
Fletcher. I heard of a boy named Fletcher. It sounds like belch kinda.

Grayson. Wtf? Yes, I've met a Grayson. And a Bodie -- pronounce "bow-dee"

Ughhh and I thought Hudson was a terrible name (yes, I've heard that one too)

I don't think they're bad names per se, but they do sound a bit pretentious.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:46 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I don't think they're bad names per se, but they do sound a bit pretentious.
Yeah, I know a baby Grayson. He is adorable. I remember when his father announced the name though, before was born, and I admit I did privately roll my eyes. Could be worse though. The father (a friend of my 21 year old son) wanted to name the baby after my son, and my son was totally freaked out by that suggestion. He felt like he'd have some obligation, moral, to the kid if he had his name.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:12 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Or the kids conceived in Intercourse, PA
Colon, Climax, or Hell Michigan, Shipshiwana Indiana, or maybe parked along Zzyzx road.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:45 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
We have a Dufur Oregon. I don't think I would want to be called that. Too close to sounding like Dufus.

I have heard of the name Grayson and I went to school with a Bhoudi who spelled it this way with an h or something like that because although he wasn't Asian, he said the name was because his parents where Buddhists.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:38 PM

410 posts, read 1,107,704 times
Funny thread!

I don't have any children of my own, but I work with several hundred children every year so I've seen it all.

It drives me crazy when a parent saddles their child with a stupid name or worse, some ridiculous and incorrect spelling. Wow. Parents are only setting their child up for a lifetime of repeating their name and its spelling at every turn, and possibly failure. Of course, when you invent a name out of the clear blue sky, I guess the spelling of it will probably be a problem too.

I knew a girl with a name that sounded like "Genevieve", which is fine name, but the spelling of it only had one "v". It is impossible to spell "Genevieve" without two v's. Geez!! And I've also known a "Katie" without a "t".

I can deal with the giving of kids names that are traditional surnames (Madison, Hudson, Hunter, etc.), but then you start to get weird spellings like "Madyson", "Madysyn", "Madasonn", "Hunterr", etc. Ridiculous! What's wrong with people?

I've also known a DearAbby, a Camry and Lexus (sisters), Rope, Race, Racelynn, I could go on forever.

I also knew a brother (Star) and sister (Sky) growing up whose parents were hippies. Nature names can be good but will be ruined with a bad spelling.

Why do people feel the need to tack "-lynn" onto so many names? (Racelynn, Gracelynn, Brooklyn, Ashlyn, Cashlyn, etc.)

So many of these names look horrible when written. Like Mikayla. AWFUL! But "Michaela", the feminine form of "Michael" looks beautiful. I suspect most parents that pick Makaylah or whatever have no clue about the fact that Mikayluh is actually Michaela.

And then some people want to add symbols to their kid's names. Dashes (and NOT connecting two names, but just a random syllabic dash), apostrophes, accent marks, etc. And 99% of the time, used incorrectly.

Parents should pick a real name for a kid. They may actually grow up to be something. You can call your child anything you want as a nickname, but for goodness sakes give them an actual name.

I feel like telling some of these parents to open a book for crying out loud. There are thousands of great names from history, mythology, the Bible, classic novels. Even room to still be original.

Sorry for the rant, but it goes all over me. I'm thankful my parents were literate, gave me a real name, and spelled it correctly.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
The crazy spelling of names really bugs me too. It's difficult for people who have to input names into records for business purposes or any type of records for school or things like that. And sometimes parents get insulted when the names are spelled incorrectly.

Pitty the poor school teacher who has to deal with a classroom full of these kids whose parents all thought it was so cute to spell their kids' names without vowels or something like that.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:59 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The crazy spelling of names really bugs me too. It's difficult for people who have to input names into records for business purposes or any type of records for school or things like that. And sometimes parents get insulted when the names are spelled incorrectly.

Pitty the poor school teacher who has to deal with a classroom full of these kids whose parents all thought it was so cute to spell their kids' names without vowels or something like that.
Me too! I have a relative named "Brandey Rhoze". Seriously wth!? And another relative (girl child) named "Bradleigh". ::sigh::

Please, people, just stop.

Now, I have a friend who named her daughter Zoe. Without the umlaut. She knows that it was traditionally spelled with the umlaut but that in the US it is more commonly spelled without it and figured it would save her daughter lots of headache to leave it off on *official documents*. The child is free to add it or not by hand, of course. No one calls her "Zo". They know to pronounce it "Zo-ey", but she had one rather obnoxious discussion one year with her daughter's elementary school teacher who flat out told my friend "You've spelled your daughter's name wrong!" and was quite insistent that she should consider "fixing" the error.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Me too! I have a relative named "Brandey Rhoze". Seriously wth!? And another relative (girl child) named "Bradleigh". ::sigh::

Please, people, just stop.

Now, I have a friend who named her daughter Zoe. Without the umlaut. She knows that it was traditionally spelled with the umlaut but that in the US it is more commonly spelled without it and figured it would save her daughter lots of headache to leave it off on *official documents*. The child is free to add it or not by hand, of course. No one calls her "Zo". They know to pronounce it "Zo-ey", but she had one rather obnoxious discussion one year with her daughter's elementary school teacher who flat out told my friend "You've spelled your daughter's name wrong!" and was quite insistent that she should consider "fixing" the error.
I don't think there is anything your friend can do about her child's birth certificate now, though maybe I'm wrong. Re: the name Caitlin:

Irish Names: You say Caitlyn, I say Kaytlynne...

Old 05-05-2013, 07:55 PM

410 posts, read 1,107,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
And now even young kids get insulted when you spell it wrong. I'm to the point that, after 4 or 5 times trying to input their name into the computer, and the child is standing there looking at me like "I can't believe you can't spell my name", and my patience is running out, I will just tell them "Dear, your name is spelled wrong. You are going to have to get used to it." They look at me like I'm crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting