Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 12:41 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Medicaid will backdate to cover the baby from birth. Your daughter should contact the state medicaid office, if she hasn't yet received an ID number for the baby. If she has, she should call the doctor's office and give them the ID#. They will then bill Medicaid. This is something to take care of fairly quickly.

In many states, if the mother has no insurance, and the baby qualifies for Medicaid, they'll put the mother on, too. HOWEVER, it is very difficult to find doctors other than OBs who will take Medicaid. Medicaid pays almost as much as private insurance for pregnancy care, about half as much as private insurance for children's care, and maybe one tenth as much as private insurance for adult care. So it's easy to find an OB who takes it, fairly easy to find a pediatrician who takes it, and very difficult to find any adult care doctor other than an OB for pregnancy (not for any other issues), who will take it. So you should really think very carefully, and do a lot of investigation, before you decide to take your daughter off of your insurance. She could wind up having to drive to an inner-city clinic, and wait for hours, to be seen.
I won't take her off. It costs me no more with her on. I have family coverage which costs me the same if I have 1 or 7 kids.

She is calling after mail comes today at the latest tomorrow morning to check on the baby's insurance. I really wish I could just cover her too.

She chose a plan for the baby and we made sure the doctor was in it as well as called to verify before making the appointment. That was on me. She was dealing with discharge instructions at the time. Thankfully all is in order for when we do get the card. If by some chance this bill needs paid in the meantime, it will get paid.

I said for a while, this baby will not go without. I want them to work out final details but she definitely will not go without medical care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 01:09 PM

124 posts, read 372,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
My daughter spoke to fob when he came to visit yesterday about a supplies schedule.

They came up with an every other week schedule. When the conversation was over, his comment was, well child support is going to be exactly what I told you.

A little cryptic but she said as of now we don have that so we need to figure out a workable schedule until then.

She received the first doctor bill from the baby's first visit. It was close to $300. That was a shocker.

I guess the baby's medical ins hasn't gone through yet. It should and whatever is left over they can deal with.
I can almost see the bolded as "Child support will pay for this later." But the wording is a bit odd.

I do think he's doing this to keep from having to buy supplies which even if it's his parents/grandma's idea is kind of.... irresponsible. The baby is his child. He should be falling over himself to see her and provide for her.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
So it's easy to find an OB who takes it, fairly easy to find a pediatrician who takes it, and very difficult to find any adult care doctor other than an OB for pregnancy (not for any other issues), who will take it. So you should really think very carefully, and do a lot of investigation, before you decide to take your daughter off of your insurance. She could wind up having to drive to an inner-city clinic, and wait for hours, to be seen.
That's not the case in my metro. Most doctors accept Medicaid. We were just talking to our doctor about this a month ago. I was wondering if we should drop our employer provided insurance for my husband to qualify for better treatment through Medicaid. Our current insurance won't pay for these treatments--claiming one doesn't extend life (bull) and the other experimental (double bull). (I'm talking treatments that cost over 100k) Our doctor said he should absolutely do it if he's certain he'll qualify for it. I'm not sure if he will qualify due to our high income, but I thought Medicaid was available to disabled people with certain diagnosis. I need to research it further, but Medicaid actually covers more treatments than private health insurance. Most doctors in my region accept it. Maybe the quality of Medicaid depends on the state.

Quote:
I won't take her off. It costs me no more with her on. I have family coverage which costs me the same if I have 1 or 7 kids.
My point was that being on your insurance could cost YOUR DAUGHTER more money if you're making her pay her copays and deductibles. If you plan to cover her copays and deductibles, then it's best for her to stay on your insurance. If not, you might not be doing her a favor. She will be impoverished for the next few years at the very least. Even an extra $20 is difficult to come by for low income single mothers. I had a girlfriend who was a single mother. When I joined her at her mother's house for Thanksgiving dinner, her mother showed me her Christmas wish list on the refrigerator. Tampons were on her wish list. That broke my heart.

Quote:
If by some chance this bill needs paid in the meantime, it will get paid.

I said for a while, this baby will not go without. I want them to work out final details but she definitely will not go without medical care.
The doctor's office isn't going to make you pay the bill when Medicaid is in the works.

Last edited by Hopes; 06-03-2014 at 02:07 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 02:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwriting View Post
I can almost see the bolded as "Child support will pay for this later." But the wording is a bit odd.

I do think he's doing this to keep from having to buy supplies which even if it's his parents/grandma's idea is kind of.... irresponsible. The baby is his child. He should be falling over himself to see her and provide for her.
I think you're reading into it right. Based on mob's response, she certain understood that's what he meant too. His dad is going to hit the roof when he reports that he needs to buy stuff in the interim.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:17 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I think 6 weeks is a good number to go by. Seems like each time i requested a hearing it took about 6 weeks. The reason it stretched out to 9 mos is due to delays and stalling on her part.

My journey has been tough, and frankly, not fair. I missed out on a lot, and part of me is sad when I see friends make birth announcements, have showers, or get excited over the upcoming birth of a new child. I didn't get any of that, and it bothers me a lot more than I thought it would. Instead, I was researching legal items, using google to track down her new address, paying large amounts of legal expenses and court fees and back child support and still had yet to see my child. It just wasn't what I grew up thinking it was going to be like for me and it has affected me.
Boston Mike, you need to grieve for the "death" of your early parenthood. It's hard when you have an ideal vision of how you wanted it to be and the reality. ( If that makes any sense

I had a dream of a wonderful pregnancy and birth. Instead I got lots of bed rest, illness, and hospitalization. Then I had an emergency c section and I never produced enough milk even though I pumped and fed her like a crazy lady. I had to grieve and let go of that dream I had. Once I was able to do that I was able to accept it and move on.

I know your situation was extreme and it was terrible. Now you know the fierce love for your child and one day they will find out how much you fought for them. You were like a warrior fighting for your child.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Boston Mike, you need to grieve for the "death" of your early parenthood. It's hard when you have an ideal vision of how you wanted it to be and the reality. ( If that makes any sense

I had a dream of a wonderful pregnancy and birth. Instead I got lots of bed rest, illness, and hospitalization. Then I had an emergency c section and I never produced enough milk even though I pumped and fed her like a crazy lady. I had to grieve and let go of that dream I had. Once I was able to do that I was able to accept it and move on.

I know your situation was extreme and it was terrible. Now you know the fierce love for your child and one day they will find out how much you fought for them. You were like a warrior fighting for your child.
I echo this sentiment completely.

This man is a dad in every sense of the word. Your child knows it, I'm sure.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think you're reading into it right. Based on mob's response, she certain understood that's what he meant too. His dad is going to hit the roof when he reports that he needs to buy stuff in the interim.
I really hope everyone is wrong.

The fob is not a bad person. He just lies like crazy. About anything. I mean if he tells you the sky is blue, you should go looks for yourself. He just wants to make everyone happy. It's just not possible and he will learn this lesson in time I'm sure. It's probably a difficult balance to do wha he feels and make his parents happy.

His brother told my other daughter that he asked his mom about texting or calling me. She admitted she never did. At least that's something. I didn't want my other daughter's boyfriend thinking I lied. I could see he dealt with me differently when he thought I had. Who can blame him. Everyone wants to believe their mother.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:32 PM

426 posts, read 791,728 times
Quote:
I really hope everyone is wrong.

The fob is not a bad person. He just lies like crazy. About anything. I mean if he tells you the sky is blue, you should go looks for yourself. He just wants to make everyone happy. It's just not possible and he will learn this lesson in time I'm sure. It's probably a difficult balance to do wha he feels and make his parents happy.

His brother told my other daughter that he asked his mom about texting or calling me. She admitted she never did. At least that's something. I didn't want my other daughter's boyfriend thinking I lied. I could see he dealt with me differently when he thought I had. Who can blame him. Everyone wants to believe their mother.
Sounds like baby's dad doesn't "fall too far from the tree". I will hope that he (and brother/s) realize that to be a better man, they must not follow in the footsteps of their parents.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:41 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
(snip)
She will be impoverished for the next few years at the very least. Even an extra $20 is difficult to come by for low income single mothers. I had a girlfriend who was a single mother. When I joined her at her mother's house for Thanksgiving dinner, her mother showed me her Christmas wish list on the refrigerator. Tampons were on her wish list. That broke my heart.
I got a little teary eyed when I thought about your friend that was so poor that tampons were on her Christmas wish list.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:41 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
I hope he grows up, but the fact is, most people don't really change much. If he lies his way out of uncomfortable situations now, he probably always will. Besides, he's not lying. He's telling her point blank that he's not gonna do a thing unless it's court ordered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting