Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,267,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I didn't read every page. I am amazed that anyone would put their kids to bed that early. I am the dad of 6, with 5 still at home and the youngest is 7. Last night we were at the skating rink so my daughter could hang out with friends from school. They skate every tuesday night till 8:30. During the week after home work is done the kids will either ride their bikes help me take the dog for a walk, or play video games and that could be till 6 or 6:30. Our kids also read after they watch some TV. The school wants them to read for 20 to 30 minutes a day. Then they have to get ready for bed, take a bath or what have you. The kids are in bed by 8:30 or 9pm.

I would say that a parent that puts the kids to bed earlier may not want to spend time with their kids.
I'm amazed a parent takes his kid to the skate rink every Tuesday until 8:30, so there you go. She doesn't get to hang out with her friends except at that time and place?

Old 11-13-2013, 01:53 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,596,230 times
I think many kids get too little sleep, ask any school teacher's opinion on this topic.

My 13 year-old needs 9 or 10 hours sleep a night, and regardless of what time he goes to sleep, will sleep 9+ hours. My 10 year-old doesn't need as much, and regardless of when she goes to sleep will be up between 6 and 6.30. All kids are different.

Our school bus leaves at 7, so if the kids went to bed at 10 they would eventually be in a sleep deficit.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:33 PM

20,133 posts, read 16,225,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think many kids get too little sleep, ask any school teacher's opinion on this topic.
This teacher absolutely agrees with you.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:39 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,223,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

My 13 year-old needs 9 or 10 hours sleep a night, and regardless of what time he goes to sleep, will sleep 9+ hours. My 10 year-old doesn't need as much, and regardless of when she goes to sleep will be up between 6 and 6.30. All kids are different.

Our school bus leaves at 7, so if the kids went to bed at 10 they would eventually be in a sleep deficit.
I was VERY aware of this when I ran a daycare and was a parent of a child at the school. We would get resources sent home all the time about how to help your child get sleep. But I faced constant battles from the parents when the over tired after schoolers would fall asleep during the after school program (outside! in the play area while playing soccer!). Some of them seemed to consider not falling dead asleep instantly as not tired. It was frustrating.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:04 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,742,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I was VERY aware of this when I ran a daycare and was a parent of a child at the school. We would get resources sent home all the time about how to help your child get sleep. But I faced constant battles from the parents when the over tired after schoolers would fall asleep during the after school program (outside! in the play area while playing soccer!). Some of them seemed to consider not falling dead asleep instantly as not tired. It was frustrating.
Another preschool teacher who agrees. Lots of behavior problems could be solved by kids just getting more sleep I hear from parents "oh he was up late last night so may be a little grouchy today". This is going to happen at times but when it is a habit it is a problem. Not all but most preschoolers would benefit from being in bed at 7:30 if they are not napping.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:17 PM

30,430 posts, read 52,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Given that kid is essentially being raised by other people, that hour or two hardly makes a difference, does it?
No, they are not "essentially being raised by other people" - and to make such a comment is highly insulting to good hard-working parents. If they get out of school at 3-3:30, and do activities or daycare until parent/s are off work between 5-6 (give or take), how does that equal letting someone else raise your kids? I guess the other 15-20+ hours are irrelevant.

My mother didn't work for a good portion of my childhood, and even then I had my own activities after school - sometimes she would accompany me, but sometimes she would not (I'd carpool or the activity was at school). I didn't feel like someone else was raising me, just because of those few hours sans parental guidance. Sheesh.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:22 PM

30,430 posts, read 52,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
Another preschool teacher who agrees. Lots of behavior problems could be solved by kids just getting more sleep I hear from parents "oh he was up late last night so may be a little grouchy today". This is going to happen at times but when it is a habit it is a problem. Not all but most preschoolers would benefit from being in bed at 7:30 if they are not napping.
I watched a news piece a while back, where they examined the issue of schools starting too early... some schools these days start as early as 7am! How is that beneficial, not only in terms of getting enough sleep, but also in terms of fitting in with the schedules of working parents? So many families are dual-income these days, either by choice or out of financial necessity, so getting them up & to school that early can be a problem.

Btw, the studies showed kids performed better with a later start time - around 9am, if not a bit later. Why hasn't this been explored? I know the teachers would be happier too, lol.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:39 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,596,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I watched a news piece a while back, where they examined the issue of schools starting too early... some schools these days start as early as 7am! How is that beneficial, not only in terms of getting enough sleep, but also in terms of fitting in with the schedules of working parents? So many families are dual-income these days, either by choice or out of financial necessity, so getting them up & to school that early can be a problem.

Btw, the studies showed kids performed better with a later start time - around 9am, if not a bit later. Why hasn't this been explored? I know the teachers would be happier too, lol.
I can only speak for logistics around here, but it's related to transportation. The elementary, middle and high schools use the same buses, so the start times must be staggered.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:28 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,020,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
And even if I lay him down at 10 pm, he will still wake up no later than 6:30 so for him to be to bed no later than 8:00 is Important. Yesterday he had a rough day. Couldn't go to sleep at all. Finally at 10.30 he fell asleep and guess what, he was up at 6:30...like clock work.lol
Exactly! One of the doctors I work with has done a lot of sleep study, you could maybe even call it research. Anyway, he says, and my own personal experience concurs, the waking time is pretty fixed, regardless of bedtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelh85 View Post
Recently took a parenting class. The message that was conveyed was to not waste parental energy trying to get them to go to bed but to save that energy getting them up in the morning. Eventually the natural consequence of waking up tired and cranky in the morning will force them to make the choice to get to sleep earlier. Didn't say that I bought into it.
That "eventually" could be a very long time. See above.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:18 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,223,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No, they are not "essentially being raised by other people".
I want to say mean things that would get me banned every time I see stuff like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.