Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 03:29 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,041,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
He is obviously and noticeably more cheerful and happier when he is well-rested.
That seems to be a confusing notion to some people. Bed times are based on what allows the child to be at his/her best. Its not like early be times are some evil plot that the parents came up with to rid themselves of their children. No one is laughing maniacally at 7 O'clock as their child is getting ready for bed.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Wtf are you talking about?
Our son is up at 0600 and to bed at 1900.
One of us is with him pretty much at all times.
No one is avoiding him.
What a weird thing to say.
He is obviously and noticeably more cheerful and happier when he is well-rested.
That's different. I said if parents are home with the kid and have spent hours, it's different. I mean working parents. If you get home at 6 pm, hurry through dinner, homework, chores, bath, and have the kid asleep by 7, that leaves zero quality time, no time to chat, ask the child about his day. No time for a walk, bike ride, no playtime.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:36 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,957,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
School-age children need between 10 and 12 hours of sleep a night for optimal physical and mental wellbeing.

All About Sleep
My mom tried to put me to bed at 9p or so as a kid (getting up at 7a) and it did nothing but give me horrible insomnia and anxiety about not being able to sleep. Turns out I am a night owl and am incapable of falling asleep before 11 or so at the earliest.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:39 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's different. I said if parents are home with the kid and have spent hours, it's different. I mean working parents. If you get home at 6 pm, hurry through dinner, homework, chores, bath, and have the kid asleep by 7, that leaves zero quality time, no time to chat, ask the child about his day. No time for a walk, bike ride, no playtime.
Given that kid is essentially being raised by other people, that hour or two hardly makes a difference, does it?

Old 11-12-2013, 03:55 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,721,463 times
Quote:
I was waiting for you to add a comment where you wondered if these parents might work until 6 to avoid spending time with the child.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:14 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,371,157 times
Quote:
I can only laugh and be insulted by your assumptions. Neither need to be argued. I would love more time with my child during the week but I will not selfishly keep her awake because we work to provide a good life for her. I don't feel like anyone else is raising our child, millions of parents balance work and home. I won't defend something that doesn't require defending. We do a good job.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:24 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,483,364 times
Eh...when mine were little they went to bed at 7. Can't remember when it moved to 7:30 or 8:00. Sometime in elementary school. It was 9 pm in middle school and by high school I figured it was on them to determine how much sleep they needed. My daughter was in her room at least by 9:30-10 I think. My son was often sound asleep by 9.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
If that's what works, that's what works, whether the parents are working outside the home or not. 7 year olds don't have that much homework, IIRC, but the child could do the HW before the parents get home. What not chat at dinner, or during bath?

I honestly cannot understand all this ranting about other people's family bedtimes.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:50 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,236,541 times
Quote:
So you want to spend no more than an hour and a half with her every day and all of it rushed?

I can see if parents have spent hours with the child and they don't want to spend any more time with them, that they send them to bed.
I'm sure plenty of parents might say that YOU never wanted to spend much time with your kids if you worked until 6pm either.

Who is judge and jury of what is "proper" parenting?

Old 11-12-2013, 05:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,483,364 times
Quote:

You are making the assumption that everyone has your schedule. Many people work other than 9-5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.