Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:24 PM

186 posts, read 312,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
So you disagree!? You stormed out, because they claimed they had the right to take if from him, because he was screwing with the computer during class, when he was supposed to have been listening?" You think your kid is too good or smart to do that?

Yeah, you definitely have the right to parent any way you want to. You're even allowed to show how cool you and your kid are, by letting him sport a $2,300 laptop to school (not the way I'D parent, but hey), but you're never going to convince me that you're not the one who's fumbled the ball on this one, over and over again. Perhaps if you'd acted like a calm, rational, parent, instead of acting like YOU were being sent to "the office", to watch your poor child humiliated, things would have turned out differently.

You're worried about getting YOUR laptop back. If you were that concerned about its safety, you shouldn't have let it leave the house with him. Go get the laptop for cryin' out loud. Let them know that you NEVER should have allowed him to bring it to school, that you're SO sorry that he was so rude and disrepectful in class and that you will do whatever is necessary, to see to it that it NEVER happens again. Period.
I talked with him. He admitted he was not paying attention. He wants the mac back and so do I. I have to buy a cheaper laptop now. I also have a school board and superintendent to yell at on Wednesday.

Last edited by Jaded; 01-14-2014 at 08:06 AM..

Old 01-13-2014, 08:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,148,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguyfrompluto View Post
I also have a school board and superintendent to yell at on Wednesday.
I'm not impressed. Nothing is gained by acting that way. You're being a hot-head instead of making smart tactical decisions.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:30 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,196,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
The only reason they would keep it, is if it was involved in something illegal that the police need to see. You don't have to go to the superintendent of the school. Just send an email stating that you know your child should have been paying attention and that you will be by the next day to pick up the laptop. Then, I would have him use a school laptop during class.
Are you 100% sure that he didn't have a picture of his naked (under age 18) girlfriend on the computer and he was showing it to his buddies during class? Teenagers can be pretty naïve and dumb at times.

I just reread that he was only 12, so he probably didn't have a naked picture. However, there are very few 12 year old that are responsible enough to carry a very expensive computer to and from school without accidently damaging it. Have you ever seen how most 12 year olds act on the bus, on the playground, at lunch, in the hallways????? I would be shocked it an expensive computer lasted a week or two. Even if you son was responsible many of his classmates are not.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:31 PM

I'm sure you didn't keep a copy of the acceptable internet use policy you signed.

Here's the link: http://www.danbury.k12.ct.us/dhsweb/...ish.pdf‎

It has language that says the policy can change without notice, bla bla bla. That's their out.

There's a website address for viewing the full district policy.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Are you 100% sure that he didn't have a picture of his naked (under age 18) girlfriend on the computer and he was showing it to his buddies during class? Teenagers can be pretty naïve and dumb at times.
Even if that's not the reason they took it away, I guarantee you they are searching that computer for anything they can use to make their position stronger.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,949,999 times
It sounds as if the school is a Bring Your Own Device school. In that case, I am sure there are policies in place about the respectful use of the devices.

Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Schools: Pros and Cons | Concordia University - Portland Online

Quote:
Bring your own device (BYOD) schools typically have very specific policies concerning respectful use of electronics in the classroom. Websites such as Facebook and Twitter are often banned since they cause serious distraction. Students may be required to sign agreements restricting device use to certain times in the classroom. Those failing to oblige by the rules are banned from the BYOD program either temporarily or permanently.
I have never seen a school were such devices were permanently confiscated. They are usually taken away until a parent conference is held and the parent gets to pick up the device. Sometimes there is a fine involved as well. My 6th grade granddaugher could bring her own device, but we have never given one to her to use at school specifically because she is too obsessed with the games she has on it. She's 11. She may be given one in high school, but not at this age.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:38 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,436,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguyfrompluto View Post
I talked with him. He admitted he was not paying attention. He wants the mac back and so do I. I have to buy a cheaper laptop now. I also have a school board and superintendent to yell at on Wednesday.
So, you are going to yell at the school board and superintendent? This is the role model you are setting for your child, to yell at others to get your way? I fully believe the phrase, "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree". I know, your son won't be there to see this (let's hope not) but he will know, believe me, he will know how you responded and will use you as a model to how he responds to others. They are wrong to say they won't give it back to the parent, but your child was wrong in his action. Think about the model you are setting for your child on how to resolve a conflict.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
So, you are going to yell at the school board and superintendent? This is the role model you are setting for your child, to yell at others to get your way? I fully believe the phrase, "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree". I know, your son won't be there to see this (let's hope not) but he will know, believe me, he will know how you responded and will use you as a model to how he responds to others. They are wrong to say they won't give it back to the parent, but your child was wrong in his action. Think about the model you are setting for your child on how to resolve a conflict.
He wont be there. You dont know this school board...they have yelled at me in the past same with the principal. He just did today.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:43 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,110,202 times
Why would you let a Moderator Cut kid play with a $2300 Mac laptop, when he could have been using a cheap second-hand Dell, or similar?

Last edited by Jaded; 01-14-2014 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 01-13-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

I just reread that he was only 12, so he probably didn't have a naked picture. However, there are very few 12 year old that are responsible enough to carry a very expensive computer to and from school without accidently damaging it. Have you ever seen how most 12 year olds act on the bus, on the playground, at lunch, in the hallways????? I would be shocked it an expensive computer lasted a week or two. Even if you son was responsible many of his classmates are not.
He dosent take the bus. I told the lunch monitors to make sure he put the bag in his locker. They dont have a playground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.