Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 05:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
Thank you. You made a good point. She has me for comfort, she doesnt need to be giving away her comfort (bottle) and not have me either. But it also depends on how each kid reacts I guess. The first 2 days, I am going to see how she will react if i give her the favorite toy and walk out. If she is crying and did not stop in 60 seconds, I am going in.
The reason why I was thinking of attempting to even let her cry for 60 seconds is: she goes to a home daycare on the days I am working where the care provider has 3 other children to care for. So far with bottle, all she needs is a crib. The daycare provider will not be able to leave the other 3 kids to be with my DD. So, the best scenario would be for me to train her without relying on anything other than stuffy toy. But Of course I am expecting too much out of a little baby. I will see how it goes. thanks again.

BTW, I am also doing part-time like you. Yesterday she slept at 7:45 after our bedtime routine and was up by 10:30 asking for milk. I didnt go to her room (she has a water bottle within her reach). I just let her fuss a little (she wasnt crying) and to my surprise, she settled back to sleep in under 2 mins with water. Then she slept until about 12 and woke up for milk. Thats when I went and gave her.
You can not expect a day care provider to do what you have been doing every night. They need to be able to put a child down for a nap, and tend to other children.

She's not a baby! You are not expecting too much. You've been doing too much for too long. It doesn't do her any good to have become so dependent on and so accustomed to middle of the night feedings, and it doesn't do you any good to have been sleep deprived for so long.

After success the first time, you should have done it the second time, too.

ETA take her to the dentist ASAP. She has likely damaged her teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 05:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't believe in weaning. I think it produced unneeded anxiety in the infant.

I let both of my children wean themselves. One bottle, one breast.

You're daughter is still quite small. Please give thought to giving her some more time.
Doctors recommend giving up bottles at 1 year for dental reason. It is unhealthy for the child and for the mom to have such broken sleep for so long. It is expected for the first months. It shouldn't be happening at over 2 years old.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:54 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,575,062 times
OK, I have an update. I have started the weaning process on Friday afternoon. Not a single tear! I offered her the sippy. She took twp sips, made a face, turned around and went to sleep! I thought it was fluke but she did the same thing before going to bed for the night too.

When she woke up in night wanting milk, I offered her a bottle of sippy. Then she cried but not too much. Stopped after 3-5 mins and slept. It continued that way until 5 AM....waking up every hour for milk. Anyway, its 4 nights down now. Last night she didnt even ask for a bottle.

Success!!!

Old 04-01-2014, 10:17 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
That's great!

Old 04-01-2014, 10:19 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,575,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
That's great!
Thank you! I was so worried about this, it used to give me migraines. No kidding.
It was so much easier than expected...maybe because she is waaaaay too big? No idea.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:20 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
She must have just been ready for it. Might have been much harder if you had started a month earlier, but who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting