Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 08:50 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times

Advertisements

Father punished for 'old school discipline'

When I grew up, kids pretty much had the run of the town by the time they were 8. And if you missed the bus? Guess what -- you walked to/home from school. If you lived less than a mile from your school, bus service wasn't even offered! So guess how kids got back and forth to school? They typically rode their bikes or walked -- up to a mile.

How did we get from that to this in just a single generation? Good grief. At the risk of having a fist-shaking "get off muh lawn!" moment, sometimes I don't recognize the country I grew up in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 09:06 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,252,976 times
That's pretty insane (unless perhaps it was a dangerous road to walk - busy main road with no pavement). My daughter will be walking to school and back by herself from the get go (or going on her bike as most kids do) and the big school is a good deal further than a mile away, I think it has to be over 5km to get bussed to school.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:29 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,456 times
From what I gathered, the kid was forced to walk down a highway, which really IS dangerous. If it was just a mile down regular roadways and streets with sidewalks, there really shouldn't be a problem. I think the problem was not the fact that the kid walked a mile, but that he was put in a potentially hazardous situation.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:32 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
This was not a road with sidewalks. ...this was a busy highway with no safe place for people to walk.

Would it be acceptable if the child had been hit or killed?

Old 06-03-2014, 09:36 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
The dad was given probation and a fine.

Here is HIS side of the story:

Kauai father explains why he made his son walk a mile home | KHON2.com

Old 06-03-2014, 09:49 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,292,211 times
I walked 1/2 mile to elementary school the entire time I was attending.

Then the kid DID NOT get hurt! (Neither did I or any other kids I grew up with who also walked to school.)

Note that Americans are getting FAT!!! Good for the kid to walk to school if you ask me.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:11 AM

18,476 posts, read 31,653,017 times
a little walk will never hurt a little boy, beside boys know what to do, I know I raised 3. trust me, they are fully capabale of walking a mile and then some.....please!!

please, no wonder children become little monsters, as parents we have to worry that we will be arrested for disciplne our children. unbelieveable.

some parents have no backbone.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
This was not a road with sidewalks. ...this was a busy highway with no safe place for people to walk.
I just did a Google streetview of the onlyl highway through Kilauea. There's plenty of room for someone to walk clear away from traffic. Also note that the judge's decision rests not just on the route but the risk of "predators" and the "appropriateness" of the dad's actions.

As for my question "how did we get from that to this in just a single generation," I guess my answer lies in hand-wringing like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Would it be acceptable if the child had been hit or killed?
My wife grew up on a county highway with a 55mph speed limit and managed to make it into town and back her entire childhood without getting run over. How ever did ever manage? Good thing the statute of limitations on child neglect has run out or my MIL could end up in handcuffs.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:42 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,886 times
He abandoned his young child on a the side of a highway to find his own way home. That is not the same as a kid walking home from school. Kids who normally walk home from school have a regular route, schoolmates, and crossing guards. That was true even back in the old days when I was a kid. And even back then, it would have been inappropriate for a parent to simply pull over and dump their 8 year old out on the side of the highway and then drive away as a form of punishment. It's not old school, it's just plain bad parenting.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 AM

"Abandoned?" Spare me the melodrama. He was told to walk home, and I presume at 8 years old he knows the way to his own home from his own school. That's not abandonment, that's telling your kid to walk home. Were our parents "abandoning" us when they shoved us out the door and told us to go play?

Where I lived, there were crossing guards within one block of the school. We were on our own the rest of the way. And we still managed to make it without fearing for our safety.

Whether you think it's "bad" parenting isn't the issue. Is this criminal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting