Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:14 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
It was a 6 lane highway people.
It's a 2 lane rural road with what appears to be single lane bridges.

Since there are pictures of this "highway," you can't get away with exaggerating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 10:22 AM

634 posts, read 709,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's a 2 lane rural road with what appears to be single lane bridges.

Since there are pictures of this "highway," you can't get away with exaggerating.
My fault. I'd didn't mean to exaggerate. I saw this pic and counted 6 but looking closer it is 4 unless this is not the pic. I didn't notice the car in the pic going the opposite direction, Nevertheless the fear of a stranger picking him did happen and is not a hypothetical.

Robert Demond Gets Probation For Making His Son Walk A Mile Home From School

Old 06-04-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
My fault. I'd didn't mean to exaggerate. I saw this pic and counted 6 but looking closer it is 4 unless this is not the pic. I didn't notice the car in the pic going the opposite direction...

Robert Demond Gets Probation For Making His Son Walk A Mile Home From School
It's not a four lane highway either. That picture is for a different news story of a starved Wisconsin teen.

It's a two lane road, most of which is rural except where it goes into a small town with a population of 6k.

Here are about 15 pictures of various parts of the road.

Hawaii Highways - Road Photos - Kuhio Highway

Quote:
Nevertheless the fear of a stranger picking him did happen and is not a hypothetical.
A stranger didn't pick him up. A classmate's parent, who is also a neighbor, picked him up.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:34 AM

850 posts, read 1,027,068 times
Quote:
It's not a four lane highway either. That picture is for a different news story of a starved Wisconsin teen.
A *STARVING TEEN!* my fellow soldiers of the Army of the Overly Righteous - away - to WisconSIN! We shall show those cheeseheads the wrath that comes when the cheese is not SHARED! Beloit or BUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Why a neighbor wouldn't think to contact the parent first is beyond me though
This could be a key backstory bit - maybe the neighbor has a beef with this family?

Last edited by Jaded; 06-04-2014 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: cross posting link in unrelated forum

Old 06-04-2014, 11:52 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
It's DAMNED HIGH time our children get consequenses and proper punishment for their poor choices.
That parent did no wrong IMO.
This should be interesting.

Please try to explain how forcing a child to walk a mile home along a stretch of road is the "proper" punishment for a child saying they don't know why they were in time-out.

The reason the child was in trouble in school was name calling. There's a chance the child genuinely didn't realize the reason for the punishment as children(especially at that age) don't always realize the implications of what they're saying. The boy could have not realized they were offending another child and though he was just having fun with other kids.

Proper punishment both deters repeating the action as well as making the child understand why what they did was wrong.

Regarding the name calling, a proper punishment beyond the time out would have been to additionally force the boy to appologize to the teased kid.

If the boy knew why he was punished and was refusing to tell his father, then a proper punishment would have been something that made the boy realize that keeping something he did wrong a secret doesn't make it go away. Make a show of taking away a toy of his and then when he asks where it is, just say I don't know. Then emphasize how saying I don't know doesn't change the fact that you took his toy.

Whether the boys "poor choice" was the name calling or trying to hide the fact from his father, dropping the kid off on the side of the road is in no way the "proper punishment" for either of those.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:53 AM

634 posts, read 709,114 times
Quote:

It's a two lane road, most of which is rural except where it goes into a small town with a population of 6k.

Here are about 15 pictures of various parts of the road.

Hawaii Highways - Road Photos - Kuhio Highway

A stranger didn't pick him up. A classmate's parent, who is also a neighbor, picked him up.
Thanks for the pics.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
First the judge called it a highway, that is a different kettle of fish.

Additionally we have no idea how old the child is. Twelve? No problem. Seven, bigger issue.
The child is eight. That was in one of the URLs (in fact in one of the headlines)

Old 06-04-2014, 01:40 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,673,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How did we get from that to this in just a single generation? Good grief. At the risk of having a fist-shaking "get off muh lawn!" moment, sometimes I don't recognize the country I grew up in.
Well you obviously already feel this way and just picked a story to back up your point. We can only guess at the exact circumstances and I have to imagine the judge wasn't a total idiot and that he was aware of the road and how potentially dangerous it could have been for an eight year old to walk.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Well you obviously already feel this way and just picked a story to back up your point.
LMAO! You have an active imagination!

Old 06-04-2014, 04:46 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
With predators of today roaming around, children need to be aware of their surroundings and taught not to get into cars with strangers. Any parent who fails to teach this, is BAD parenting, although of course it doesn't prevent all abductions.

Making a child walk a mile home as punishment, is NOT bad parenting, and he should never have been charged for making the child walk home. Now, I have to say that if the child was dropped off in an unfamiliar area or was physically unable to walk, then that's a different story.

It's DAMNED HIGH time our children get consequenses and proper punishment for their poor choices.
That parent did no wrong IMO.
My parents gave me tons of consequences. None of them involved walking along the side of a country road with no sidewalks with no parent around to ensure my safety when I was still in elementary school.

I was punished when I screwed up and definitely not entitled to anything. My parents weren't the greatest, but I knew what their expectations were, and I knew that my privileges rested on meeting those expectations.

Perhaps if the father had consistently disciplined his son in the first place, he wouldn't have felt the need to act out for the shock value. It's crap parenting when you feel you have to use what's basically the nuclear option on your child over ... what? His kid wouldn't answer him. Big whoop. I know what that would have gotten me - an extended grounding that involved losing more and more social outings and activities the longer I waited to actually answer the question I was being asked. Oh, and chores - there would have been more and more chores added to the list.

But this guy kicked his kid out by the side of the road. Here they're saying it's a country road, so that means no sidewalks and drivers who weren't expecting to see a small child walking on the shoulder. You know why that driver stopped and took that kid back to his school? Because he saw a child IN DANGER.

You talk about proper punishment - but this wasn't proper punishment. It was flat out bad parenting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting