Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 05:26 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,132,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
He abandoned his young child on a the side of a highway to find his own way home. That is not the same as a kid walking home from school. Kids who normally walk home from school have a regular route, schoolmates, and crossing guards. That was true even back in the old days when I was a kid. And even back then, it would have been inappropriate for a parent to simply pull over and dump their 8 year old out on the side of the highway and then drive away as a form of punishment. It's not old school, it's just plain bad parenting.
^That! The son was 8 years old. I'm thinking that maybe he didn't even understand why he was in time-out and I would have asked the teacher not grilled the kid and dumped him on the highway. I don't care how much room there is on the side of the road, cars veer off the road all of the time. I consider myself "old school" but I would never leave my sons off on the highway because they couldn't tell me why they were in time-out. I'm guessing this father is cruel so I hope the mother is strong and considers herself a protector of the children but then, she'll probably be the next one dumped on the highway. It had to be terrifying. The father is a nut!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 06:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Just because the road is rural, that does not make it low speed. Other sources I have read said it has a 50 mph speed limit in the area where this incident occurred. In addition, most of the pictures I've seen of this road do not show any 10-25' shoulders, in fact there is only one picture in the link on this thread that shows anything remotely close to that. I've lived in rural areas; drivers tend to drive very fast on these rural highways.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:21 PM

283 posts, read 409,138 times
In Huntsville, Alabama If you live within a mile of school you do not get a bus period. I lived on Sparkman drive in Huntsville, al for a year and I drove my kids and there friends to school every day. I hated seeing little kids walking to school everyday, I wish I would of had room for them all. I heard they are closing the middle school on sparkman called Ed white middle. It was a horrible school and it was in horrible shape. I don't know about the elementary thou. I do know you have to walk and that is ok if your older but a young little kid by themselves having to walk in the dark to school, the rain, the school even made kids walk home after school was let out early for a tornado storm, I picked every kid I saw and took them home . I got to know a lot of parents and kids that way. I don't like it , it's not safe out here anymore. To many drunks, pedophiles, talking and texting on cell phones and storms, and people don't look out for one another anymore. The father was in the right because he is after all the father, he was watching out for his son and trying to be a parent is not easy. It is up to the parents within reason.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:24 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
When my son was in 1st grade, we lived about .9 miles from school. It was under a mile (sheah, right) so the bus wouldn't get him.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2coolmom View Post
In Huntsville, Alabama If you live within a mile of school you do not get a bus period. I lived on Sparkman drive in Huntsville, al for a year and I drove my kids and there friends to school every day. I hated seeing little kids walking to school everyday, I wish I would of had room for them all. I heard they are closing the middle school on sparkman called Ed white middle. It was a horrible school and it was in horrible shape. I don't know about the elementary thou. I do know you have to walk and that is ok if your older but a young little kid by themselves having to walk in the dark to school, the rain, the school even made kids walk home after school was let out early for a tornado storm, I picked every kid I saw and took them home . I got to know a lot of parents and kids that way. I don't like it , it's not safe out here anymore. To many drunks, pedophiles, talking and texting on cell phones and storms, and people don't look out for one another anymore. The father was in the right because he is after all the father, he was watching out for his son and trying to be a parent is not easy. It is up to the parents within reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
When my son was in 1st grade, we lived about .9 miles from school. It was under a mile (sheah, right) so the bus wouldn't get him.
These examples are irrelevant. The child lived more than a mile from school, and he was going home from day care (at the school). The father dropped him off a mile from home.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:39 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The child obviously lived more than a mile from school because the father picked him up at the school where he was attending day care and drove him all but one mile from home, then made him get out of the car to walk the rest of the way. So your experience is not equivalent. As the dad was picking the child up probably after HIS work, the highway was probably busy with commuter traffic. A neighbor picked up the child, not a total stranger.
An 8-year-old in daycare? Isn't that first or second grade?

Old 06-04-2014, 07:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
^That! The son was 8 years old. I'm thinking that maybe he didn't even understand why he was in time-out and I would have asked the teacher not grilled the kid and dumped him on the highway.
My children had quite a few friends who said "I don't know" on a regular basis. Every single of them knew. It was their way of trying to avoid getting into trouble. I can understand parents wanting to hear it from their child instead of needing to go to the teacher for simple answers. I accomplished this by raising my children the same way my parents raised me. If you told me before I heard from someone else, you were not punished. Depending on the situation, there may be consequences that need to be dealt with but no additional punishment. My kids would run home to tell on themselves. I was never taken off guard by an unexpected phone call informing me of something. I always told them I wanted to hear from them first and I created an environment that made them comfortable to do that.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:00 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yes, this was an after school daycare program. Most parents who work use daycare for after school until they get out of work. Eight can be second or third grade actually.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:30 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
Quote:
It's normally called 'after care'.....school gets out at 3ish...parents work until 5 or so....there has to be someone to take care of the gap. Depending on what time the school day starts, they may also run 'before school' care. They also may run summer and/or quarter break (if a year around schedule) programs.

In my area, the YMCA is now contracted out to run the programs....on other areas they are part of the school system or they have other community programs run them.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:48 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times
Quote:
It's very common these days for parents to not leave kids alone at all until they're twelve or older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting