Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 07:44 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post

I agree that quality is important. I just disagree with the notion that quality can't be had at several price points (for example, a granny that watches her grandkids vs a 5-star facility).
I don't think anyone really thinks a grandmother can't provide great care for their kids. Where it gets contentious, is that it is simply not a viable option for many people, and it has nothing to do with financial investment.

Either the grandparent isn't alive, or doesn't live close, is still working themselves, or is simply too old and/or not in good health to be in a position to be solely responsible for the care and well being of a child or children for 8+ hours a day without a break.

There are so many variables to consider and I don't think a single poster has said, "Lordy, no way am I leaving my kid with Granny to fingerpaint and play in the garden all day (which to me sounds like an awesome way to spend your days as a kid). I must have only the best for Princess Precious and Sir Awesome and I'm willing to pay the equivalent of a mortgage to make sure my darling special children get it!"

Old 08-15-2014, 07:45 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
So all this money you saved by going the cheapest route possible on all things you provide for your children, what do you do with it?

Old 08-15-2014, 07:46 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
So all this money you saved by going the cheapest route possible on all things you provide for your children, what do you do with it?
The OP has no children. That's the best way to save money on kids!

Old 08-15-2014, 07:50 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,941,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I live within my means and provide for my children as such, and I'm content with that. Hopefully, the same is the case for others. There is really nothing to argue about here.
Could you work harder and give them a better neighborhood, city, school, childcare, bigger college fund, etc?

Old 08-15-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Working class-lower middle class may be more appropriate because it can be hard for people to imagine a concrete view of average. I would think most people have an idea of people/jobs and resulting lifestyle that fall into those classes...factory worker, retail, cable tv installer, plumber, school teacher, floor nurse, etc.
Typical plumber makes $53K, average teacher $56K, average nurse $65K….those are not typically what anyone would call working/lower middle class incomes.

Household incomes over $100K are generally middle or upper middle (depending of COL), and given that most families work, you can assume that for many of those occupations you gave. the families are not lower middle.

So this is a fairly flawed post across the board.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
The OP has no children. That's the best way to save money on kids!
But the question remains, if he is saving all this money, instead of spending it on his future children, what is he planning on doing with it?

Old 08-15-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I never said cheapest route possible. Cheapest route possible would be dropping kids off wherever/whenever with whoever, buying a former crack house in the ghetto for $10k, keeping them alive on Ramen Noodles, not taking them to the doctor, etc.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Typical plumber makes $53K, average teacher $56K, average nurse $65K….those are not typically what anyone would call working/lower middle class incomes.
For what it's worth, this is what Wiki has to say:
Quote:
Lower middle class[edit]
The lower middle class is the second most populous according to both Gilbert's as well as Thompson & Hickey's models, constituting roughly one third of the population, the same percentage as the working class. However, according to James M. Henslin, who also divides the middle class into two sub-groups, the lower middle class is the most populous, constituting 34% of the population.[4] In all three class models the lower middle class is said to consist of "semi-professionals" and lower level white collar employees. An adaptation by sociologists Brian K. William, Stacy C. Sawyer, and Carl M. Wahlstrom of Dennis Gilbert's class model gave the following description of the lower middle class:[4]

The lower middle class... these are people in technical and lower-level management positions who work for those in the upper middle class as lower managers, craftspeople, and the like. They enjoy a reasonably comfortable standard of living, although it is constantly threatened by taxes and inflation. Generally, they have a Bachelor's and sometimes Master's college degree.

—Brian K. William, Stacy C. Sawyer and Carl M. Wahlstrom, Marriages, Families & Intimate Relationships, 2006 (Adapted from Dennis Gilbert 1997; and Joseph Kahl 1993)[4]
Taking into account the percentages provided in the six-class model by Gilbert, as well as the model of Thompson and Hickey, one can apply U.S. Census Bureau statistics regarding income. According to these class models the lower middle class is located roughly between the 52nd and 84th percentile of society. In terms of personal income distribution in 2005, that would mean gross annual personal incomes from about $32,500 to $60,000.[21]

As 42% of all households, and the majority of those in the top 40%, had two income earners, household income figures would be significantly higher, ranging from roughly $50,000 to $100,000 annually.[13] In terms of educational attainment, 27% of persons had a Bachelor's degree or higher.
According to this description, teachers, plumbers, electricians, nurse and the like would in fact be lower middle class.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:44 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:
Could you work harder and give them a better neighborhood, city, school, childcare, bigger college fund, etc?
Of course. What is your point here?

Old 08-15-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
For what it's worth, this is what Wiki has to say:

According to this description, teachers, plumbers, electricians, nurse and the like would in fact be lower middle class.
So you pick the single model with the narrowest non household income model even though we are talking about families. And of married couples, 2/3 both work. That makes as much sense as this thread.

Even so let's use your model for a second. Can you do math? Is 65k more or less than 60?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting