Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:42 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2seeker View Post
I like Jon Stewart a lot, to make some common ground here.

So here is the complete lyrics:

I wanna go home
I wanna leave my school, my pencil, paper and books.
I’m tired of it all
I’m tired of study, recitation, questioning looks
I want my iPod
I want my tv
I wanna get away from it all
This is much ado about nothing and basically a social comment about how most kids feel toward school.

Kids learn and sing the most inane songs in school, I know well as I attended public schools until I graduated in 1976. Some the ones we learned make that one pale in comparison.

Ever heard..

No more pencils, no more books,
No more teacher's dirty looks?

That one is ages old and is basically what your example is a spin on.

You'd better hope your kid never hears "Schools Out" by Alice Cooper as it is truly shocking.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:27 PM

45 posts, read 48,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
This is much ado about nothing and basically a social comment about how most kids feel toward school.

Kids learn and sing the most inane songs in school, I know well as I attended public schools until I graduated in 1976. Some the ones we learned make that one pale in comparison.

Ever heard..

You'd better hope your kid never hears "Schools Out" by Alice Cooper as it is truly shocking.
Understood. But do you see the difference between hearing and sing these songs by themselves, from pop culture and with peers, as opposed to learning these songs from the teacher?

If your kid's friend repeated say "school sucks", you may not feel nervous. But if your spouse, or the kid's grandparents say "school sucks" to your kid, would you react differently?

Old 08-27-2014, 12:45 PM

45 posts, read 48,328 times
Quote:

Ever heard..

I took a look at "schools out" (lyrics below). Sounds like one of those cynical songs that I sang and am still singing. It is the beauty of the American freedom here that allows this kind of song to be on the top of pop songs and I totally get it. I would see no problem singing with my kids and laughing about it, when he is old enough to understand the satire and the cynicalism. I expect my kids to have his own world views, funs and values. It may be a rough road with lots of competing influences. I will be there to provide my answers, when he asks me; but not to dictate him. But with all these said, should TEACHER be a different source of influence for kids, as compared to pop and sub cultures? Should I expect a boundary of what teachers can convey to kids, regardless what the teacher personally believes?

Well we got no choice all the girls and boys
Makin' all that noise 'cause they found new toys
Well we can't salute ya can't find a flag if that don't suit ya that's a drag
School's out for summer school's out forever school's been blown to pieces
No more pencils no more books no more teacher's dirty looks yeah
Well we got no class and we got no principals and we got no innocence
We can't even think of a word that rhymes
School's out for summer school's out forever my school's been blown to pieces
No more pencils no more books no more teacher's dirty looks
Out for summer out till fall we might not come back at all
School's out forever school's out for summer
School's out with fever school's out completely

Old 08-27-2014, 12:56 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:

Ever heard..

Or The Wall by Pink Floyd, which used school children to sing the chorus.

Wow OP, I haven't commented until now, because I was waiting for the lyrics. Much ado about nothing is right. Nothing subversive at all to see here.

The way to engage kids is through humor. Find yours, and chuckle at a harmless little song.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:

So here is the complete lyrics:

I wanna go home
I wanna leave my school, my pencil, paper and books.
I’m tired of it all
I’m tired of study, recitation, questioning looks
I want my iPod
I want my tv
I wanna get away from it all
That's it? Really? That's a song that reflects the thoughts of millions of kids sitting in school. Well, I must say I'm disappointed. I was expecting something more... profound. Something edgy. Something nefarious taught by a subversive choir director who wanted to encourage American students to rebel. Say:

I wanna go home
I don't wanna be schooled
I'm tired of sittin here
Listenin' to this fool.

I'm wanna burn the buildings
I wanna rip the books
I wanna give the **** teacher
My dirtiest looks.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:04 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
It's a kids version of Alice Cooper's iconic song. Google "kids version school's out" and you get thousands of YouTube videos of kids performances of the song with kiddified lyrics.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:06 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Understood. But do you see the difference between hearing and sing these songs by themselves, from pop culture and with peers, as opposed to learning these songs from the teacher?

If your kid's friend repeated say "school sucks", you may not feel nervous. But if your spouse, or the kid's grandparents say "school sucks" to your kid, would you react differently?
If my child or their friends were saying that I would be much more concerned than I would be about a song sung in an after school choir.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:10 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That's it? Really? That's a song that reflects the attitude of millions of kids sitting in school. Well, I must say I'm disappointed. I was expecting something more... profound. Something edgy. Something nefarious taught by a subversive choir director who wanted to encourage her students to rebel. Say:

I wanna go home
I don't wanna be schooled
I'm tired of sittin here
Listenin' to this fool.

I'm wanna burn the buildings
I wanna rip the books
I wanna give the **** teacher
My dirtiest looks.

I think the concensus is ...step back cause nothing is going on.
As long as your kids know it is fun is what is important. These kiddie songs are usually left behind in elementary school as it is.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
It's a kids version of Alice Cooper's iconic song.
And he's a very conservative Republican who is building some pretty wonderful music programs for kids in Arizona.

Apparently he didn't get the message about having to say, "I love education!" to stay on the straight and narrow and become a success.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:12 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
My child Jason is 6 years old and just joined the Vandebilt's Children's Chorus program. I was very excited because I hope Jason can develop singing as a healthy habit and have some fun. But on the first rehearsal, I got nervous because of the song "I want to go home", which basically expresses the dislike of school, study and teachers. It has lines like "I am tired of school and questioning look" "I am tired of all this, paper, books...". Jason loves studying and is full of curiosity. If I have time, he can spend the whole day listening to me reading scientific books. I felt awkward that the chorus program picked such a song. I wonder if you were me, would you be concerned too?

I am an immigrant, with a PhD from the US. I feel the pop culture often portrays schools as boring and academically accomplished students as un-cool. But a song like this is taught to a 6-year old by a teacher?

Am I being too sensitive here?
Way too sensitive. It's just a stupid song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting