Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 09:35 AM

530 posts, read 1,163,909 times

Advertisements

My oldest daughter was a member of a select children's chorus for a few years, and I do think you should say something about the song selection to the teacher. I know these select children's chorus groups often spend much more time and energy on songs than a school chorus (and parents usually have to pay a tuition for their child to attend the program). My daughter and her fellow members were tested on their memorization of the songs, and they had to get every note and word right to pass the tests. If they did not pass the test, they had to walk off stage when the song was performed during concerts. Therefore, in order to avoid this, the kids spent a great deal of time going over the songs. My daughter would go over songs repeatedly. She didn't do this for her school chorus.

The long and short of it is that it makes sense to want your child to work hard on a song with more positive lyrics. There are so many songs available that there is no need to have one with a negative message. Plus it would honestly make me cringe to hear my daughter practice singing a song over and over again that had lyrics about how boring school supposedly is. It isn't necessary to use such songs.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:07 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2seeker View Post
If you don't like me asking questions here, pull yourself out of the forum. How does that sound?
If you don't like my response you are free to take your own advise. You didn't get the answers you wanted or expected ...that is how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:40 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why are those things wrong yet a song about hating school is just fine? I mean, a song's a song, right?
There's a HUGE difference between disliking or hating something versus murder. Plenty of kids hate school and even more are less than thrilled with it.

It's a song! Not a gun or archery lesson at Bass Pro Shop with little Suzy and Johnny with their backpacks and lunch boxes as the targets.

If you think the worst thing your kid says at school is I hate school, you're kidding yourself. Most of the profanity I learned was on a school bus before I was in 4th grade. And yes I walked around using it except in front of my parents because I wasn't that stupid.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
It's also ridiculous to attempt an analogy about murder. So you think those are the only things kids shouldn't sing about in school? What about alcohol, drugs, racism, and a host of others?

Old 09-08-2014, 03:55 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's also ridiculous to attempt an analogy about murder. So you think those are the only things kids shouldn't sing about in school? What about alcohol, drugs, racism, and a host of others?
You're really grasping at straws here. You honestly have no idea what your child says at school. They could be a little angel or the devil in disguise. Plenty of kids act all saintly but are turds to others at school.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:47 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,059,243 times
the only odd thing is that its a teacher ("one of them, the educational infrastructure") teaching the song to the kids at a young age.
In most normal scenarios, it's the peers teaching each other silly, disrepectful songs, how to curse, etc.
Parents being banned from practice is what you get for opening your big mouth.

My mother taught me "no more pencils, no more books, no more teachers dirty looks"
and I loved Pink Floyd's "we don't need no education"
Cheech n Chongs' Sister Mary Elephant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa3HXdqNWIM

Our music teacher also forced us to sing "you're a grand old flag, you're a high flying flag, forever in peace may you wave". After a few practices, she would say 'CLASS, I'm not hearing you sing the "L"'
I loved listening to Dr Demento, and all the naughty, silly, subversive, clever song parodies.
Kids have a whole secret life and personae their parents know nothing about, including resenting/hating school. Hating school is American as apple pie.

None of the above had anything to do with getting good grades, or becoming happy or a success later in life.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:00 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
It occurs to me that in elementary school, we did sing a song about murder, taught by our music teacher, Miss Smith.

"Tom Dooley"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting