Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 01:52 PM

45 posts, read 48,300 times

Advertisements

My child Jason is 6 years old and just joined the Vandebilt's Children's Chorus program. I was very excited because I hope Jason can develop singing as a healthy habit and have some fun. But on the first rehearsal, I got nervous because of the song "I want to go home", which basically expresses the dislike of school, study and teachers. It has lines like "I am tired of school and questioning look" "I am tired of all this, paper, books...". Jason loves studying and is full of curiosity. If I have time, he can spend the whole day listening to me reading scientific books. I felt awkward that the chorus program picked such a song. I wonder if you were me, would you be concerned too?

I am an immigrant, with a PhD from the US. I feel the pop culture often portrays schools as boring and academically accomplished students as un-cool. But a song like this is taught to a 6-year old by a teacher?

Am I being too sensitive here?

Old 08-24-2014, 01:55 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,668 times
Yes, you're being too sensitive.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:13 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
I believe young kids follow the lead of their parents on stuff like this.

If you make a big deal out of the song, it could create a fascination with him, but if you just ignore it or treat it as a silly song they sing in the kids' chorus, he will too.

It doesn't have to become his life philosophy.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:57 PM

116 posts, read 160,183 times
Wow - its just a song, you're going to shelter your kid into neurosis if you think this is bad

Old 08-24-2014, 07:36 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
I remember songs from when I was that young. I never really attached any significance to the lyrics until I was older.

It kind of sounds like it might just be fun for the kids. I doubt it is too serious. Have you ever really looked into children's literature? There are a lot of books that talk about the struggles at school. Mean teachers. Mean kids. Things of that nature. But most have a good message at the end.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:52 PM

45 posts, read 48,300 times
Thank you all for the helpful responses. I am not going to withdraw my son from the program, but I still think my concern is worth discussing. Two things that are related.

1) Negative messages work when they are repeated. Negative messages work better when they are told by main stream media or trusted persons, like teachers in this case. It is one thing a pop song bashes schooling, but it is another thing a teacher teaches a song that bashes schooling. Do we want our kids to distrust or trust the teacher? Either way is bad in this case.

2) no doubt that in the US, we have a culture of laughing at academic excellence.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:50 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2seeker View Post
Thank you all for the helpful responses. I am not going to withdraw my son from the program, but I still think my concern is worth discussing. Two things that are related.

1) Negative messages work when they are repeated. Negative messages work better when they are told by main stream media or trusted persons, like teachers in this case. It is one thing a pop song bashes schooling, but it is another thing a teacher teaches a song that bashes schooling. Do we want our kids to distrust or trust the teacher? Either way is bad in this case.

2) no doubt that in the US, we have a culture of laughing at academic excellence.
I think you are severely over-thinking this.

I understand the concern of wanting your child not to be exposed to a negative school environment -- but without knowing the entirety of the lyrics of the song, it's hard to make a judgment (myself) on whether this goes too far.

You should know that you have more influence on your child's outlook at that age than anyone else.

I understand where you are coming from with your point #2, but I think that is an oversimplification. I think it's probably true that the popularized view is "too cool for school", but on the flip side, I don't think you can deny the push for higher education in this country (to a fault).

Listen -- if your child enjoys hearing you read science books, then continue. That will have a lasting impact in itself.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:57 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2seeker View Post

With whom do you think it's worth discussing?

The Blair program is prestigious and very beneficial for kids. It has been in place for a long time. I would trust the teachers. Let the song go and your son will probably forget all about it when they are done performing.

If YOU value education above all else, you can reinforce that at home. As nashvols said, YOU are your children's greatest influence.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:54 AM

838 posts, read 1,210,668 times
In your second sentence, you list two goals for encouraging your son to join the chorus. Are you getting in the way of that second goal by making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Old 08-25-2014, 08:07 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,088,451 times
Sometimes a song is just a song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting