Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 12:30 PM

480 posts, read 668,776 times

Advertisements

Let's try to return back to the original topic. Are you finding having kids to be very expensive. I'm referring to kids under the age of 18.

If you'd like to discuss side topics, please start appropriate threads.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 12:32 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And I'd bet money, their own kids will not have that same experience. Those kids will grow up and want to provide more for their own children. And their parents will help them do so.

That is pretty typical of Americans regardless of background.
Probably... yet there is a growing backlash to materialism and consumerism...

My parents generation dreamed of owning a small 2 bedroom home with a small yard... how many dream of that today?

Kids are like sponges... values pass down from the parents by example.

When my Dad got sick... I offered to drop out of college to help with the family business... they said no way... but were glad when I scaled back my units to 12 so I could help out when Dad was going through Chemo.

Grandparents are the vital link that many kids no longer have... kids, at the ones I know love to hear stories of the olden days... before Cell Phones, Jumbo Flat Screen TVs, Internet, Play Stations... etc.

The grandchildren love visiting Grandma... like stepping back in time with a rotary phone, Zenith 25" console TV... no Internet, etc..

Kids can be as expensive as you want...

Old 09-30-2014, 12:34 PM

No... I don't find kids expensive.

They have basic needs that are easily met and providing a loving, secure home is 90% of it.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:00 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,058,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
Do you find that having children is expensive in your family?

I have 1 kid and 1 on the way. It seems expensive to me. Between clothes, formula, diapers, and childcare for 2 kids, kids are definitely the #1 or #2 expense in our family, only competing against a mortgage payment for our house.

I think it is worth it.

Just wondering what others find with their kids...not wondering specific numbers, more along the lines of "yeah, they're expensive" or "boy, they hardly cost me anything".
Just wait until your children are teenagers and they, literally, eat you out of house and home. While they are eating everything in sight, they are informing you, you don't know anything and to leave them alone. Yes, they are expensive!

Old 09-30-2014, 05:10 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
You know what is lame?

I go look at the clothes they deeply discount at BabiesRUs whenever I have to go there for something (they usually have a rack where shirts are like a buck or two and pants are like 4-6 bucks...out of season clothes, jackets for 10 bucks, etc). They mark the stuff down 50-70% off.

Well, now that we have a daughter as well as our son, I have seen the scammery...the girls' clothes are twice as much as the boy clothes. For real. Even deeply discounted, it's double the price.

Geez...for crap they will outgrow in two seconds? No, thanks. Wear your brother's old shirt (which looks like new anyway).

Old 09-30-2014, 05:30 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Probably... yet there is a growing backlash to materialism and consumerism...

My parents generation dreamed of owning a small 2 bedroom home with a small yard... how many dream of that today?

Kids are like sponges... values pass down from the parents by example.

When my Dad got sick... I offered to drop out of college to help with the family business... they said no way... but were glad when I scaled back my units to 12 so I could help out when Dad was going through Chemo.

Grandparents are the vital link that many kids no longer have... kids, at the ones I know love to hear stories of the olden days... before Cell Phones, Jumbo Flat Screen TVs, Internet, Play Stations... etc.

The grandchildren love visiting Grandma... like stepping back in time with a rotary phone, Zenith 25" console TV... no Internet, etc..

Kids can be as expensive as you want...
There is a difference between visiting the grandparents and living that way. My kids need the internet for homework and they are only in elem school.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
There is a difference between visiting the grandparents and living that way. My kids need the internet for homework and they are only in elem school.
I've wondered about this myself...

There are still many places without internet unless you count dial up... I don't know how it could be enforced unless the kids stay after school or go to the library?

Some will go with Hughs or Blue Sky as a last resort... at least that is what they say since it is expensive and data is often throttled back.

Ten minutes from the steps of the State Capitol in Olympia Washington is such a place of serenity... beautiful large homes with rural zoning... no DSL or Comcast and no Cell Coverage... plain old telephone or temperamental Satellite are the only options... the reason I say temperamental is because signal can be affected by weather conditions and often mature trees must be dropped to open a window in the forest canopy.

The residents in this Black Hole banded together and approached Comcast... the quote given was a shocker... 12k EACH for 13 homes... or about $150,000 total

Old 09-30-2014, 07:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've wondered about this myself...

There are still many places without internet unless you count dial up... I don't know how it could be enforced unless the kids stay after school or go to the library?

Some will go with Hughs or Blue Sky as a last resort... at least that is what they say since it is expensive and data is often throttled back.

Ten minutes from the steps of the State Capitol in Olympia Washington is such a place of serenity... beautiful large homes with rural zoning... no DSL or Comcast and no Cell Coverage... plain old telephone or temperamental Satellite are the only options... the reason I say temperamental is because signal can be affected by weather conditions and often mature trees must be dropped to open a window in the forest canopy.

The residents in this Black Hole banded together and approached Comcast... the quote given was a shocker... 12k EACH for 13 homes... or about $150,000 total
The people who live in areas with limited internet access probably don't get homework assignments that require it. Those of us who live in civilization are expected to have it.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The people who live in areas with limited internet access probably don't get homework assignments that require it. Those of us who live in civilization are expected to have it.
Teachers make accommodations for students who don't have internet because there are impoverished students living in civilization.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:04 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Comcast actually offers highly subsidized internet access as well as low cost computers for lower income families. The internet access runs $10 a month, and the computers are $150.

internetessentials.com |
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting