Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 04:54 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
Teen pregnancy rates are actually dropping like crazy. I credit it to the internet and video games...kids are too busy to have sex lol

In lower income type areas, teen pregnancies are more common. Do you live in a lower income area?
But even in that demographic the rate is falling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 05:00 PM

625 posts, read 624,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
Whats up with this nowadays wherever I go mall or restaurant there seems to be very young couples that are high schoolers 16 and 17? What do you guys think about this?
Nothing wrong for me I got nothing againist but financially wise it can become a critical future for these kids becoming parents at a very young age and haven't at least have a decent job to raise kids
This is hardly anything new.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:24 PM

756 posts, read 834,535 times
Lightbulb What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
Whats up with this nowadays wherever I go mall or restaurant there seems to be very young couples that are high schoolers 16 and 17? What do you guys think about this?
Nothing wrong for me I got nothing againist but financially wise it can become a critical future for these kids becoming parents at a very young age and haven't at least have a decent job to raise kids
So? You mentioned nothing in your post about teens getting pregnant. Just dating. And 16 and 17 isn't that young either.

Otherwise, here are my thoughts on the topic:

And if they think they are ready for parenting, then they can go for it. Because the abortions are over rated. and the sex is overrated. And having children just to get on welfare: That is over rated too. And so is over populating the world in the name of a religion.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
So? You mentioned nothing in your post about teens getting pregnant. Just dating. And 16 and 17 isn't that young either.

Otherwise, here are my thoughts on the topic:

And if they think they are ready for parenting, then they can go for it. Because the abortions are over rated. and the sex is overrated. And having children just to get on welfare: That is over rated too. And so is over populating the world in the name of a religion.
What the hell are you talking about? That entire post is nothing but stereotypes and not based up with facts.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:35 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,687,436 times
ive noticed very young girls for some reason rushing to get pregnant just because they think babies are cute, or because someone else has one, or because they dont feel loved at home, or whatever. These girls dont have jobs, money, or even a DL half the time but hey lets have a baby; the government will pay for it all.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
ive noticed very young girls for some reason rushing to get pregnant just because they think babies are cute, or because someone else has one, or because they dont feel loved at home, or whatever. These girls dont have jobs, money, or even a DL half the time but hey lets have a baby; the government will pay for it all.
If that is the case why is teen pregnancy dropping so much? Also...it still takes two to tango when it happens.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:51 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
The older I get, the more people who are under 25 years old look like teens to me. I think it's likely that when you see pregnant young women, you're just assuming they're younger than they actually are.
Yes! Same to me. I do see some pregnant teens around, noticeable because they are attending a nearby high school, but I'm realizing lately that as I get older, people in their 20s (and even early 30s) look like kids to me. It's amazing. I read through the thread and someone mentioned their vet and I totally related. The practice I take my pets to has a new partner, and if I saw him walking down the street I would peg him for 19 or 20 at the most!

Old 05-01-2015, 05:27 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
The older I get, the more people who are under 25 years old look like teens to me. I think it's likely that when you see pregnant young women, you're just assuming they're younger than they actually are.
I had a neighbor she was 23 but looked 14. She was stopped more than once by the police as they thought she too young to drive.

She was very pregnant and her husband, a Navy guy, was off on Westpac.
I, a 34 year old dude, took her shopping once. I got soo many dirty looks.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:49 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Oh how quaint, another "This current generation is doomed" thread.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:20 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Teen pregnancy appears to have risen among white, working class teenagers. The main reason that it seems that way, is that the onus of teenage pregnancy and parenthood have, among that group - all but evaporated.

The second social factor in that particular demographic is adherence to religious groups that forbid abortion. Specifically, fundamentalists groups and the Roman Catholic Church.

In my area there is actually a fundamentalist women's group that encourages teenage pregnant girls to keep their babies and not make an adoption plan. Of course, termination is forbidden.
I also live in a state (red) that forbids discussion of birth control in school.

We have very high teen pregnancy rates in my state. Particularly among white, lower middle and working class girls who seem to see pregnancy as a "status symbol" and a right of passage.

My daughter who was adopted feels upset about this. There are pictures of pregnant girls in her yearbook and she has to see them walking down the hall.
It makes for a rather depressing atmosphere. Half of the High School attended Prom last week, looks forward to graduation and leaving for college - the other half has a more dismal future.

The real victims will be the babies, who most likely have foster care in their future.

Personally, I think that children born to unmarried minors should be removed. Most are subjected to abuse at the hands of "parents" who are mere children themselves. Many are killed or horribly battered by boyfriends who did not father the child and resent the babies very existence.

Most statistics do not address the rise of teen "parenting".

I almost never look to the past for solutions, however in this case, I think that it is obvious that children parenting children has not worked. Perhaps it is best if teenagers who become pregnant, finish school online, and surrender their baby at birth. After which they may return to high school.

I was invited to a baby shower of a teenager who lives in my neighborhood a few years ago. I was horrified that the parents - who I barely knew and who rented a house for only a few months - would think that this was a cause for celebration.

At many Malls in the US you will see generations of fatherless families with pregnant granddaughters who are in their early teens.

I think it's tragic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting