Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 10:48 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,168 times

Advertisements

I think some dress codes are ridiculous. Like at my daughter's school - they couldn't wear jeans, but leggings were OK. They also couldn't wear some colors (like black and green), but for some reason, it was fine for them to wear colors like blue and yellow. It made no sense. Gang colors and really tight pants are fine, but jeans and a plain black T aren't? The only part that made sense was no logos larger than a quarter.

That said, leaving it up to parents' common sense doesn't work, frankly. That's because common sense isn't so common. I grew up in a really nice area and went to an extremely good school. Some family friends of mine, with lots of money and who went to church every week, still let their son go to school in those super cheap muscle car t-shirts that have mostly naked women on them. And I've seen high school girls with their red thong underwear peaking out above their jeans.

I'm a huge fan of actual uniforms. If the school district is conscientious, then it shouldn't cost more than any other clothes would cost. Ultimately, parents would probably spend less on clothes. And there also would be no excuse for kids not following the dress code. It's easy to tell if something is part of a uniform or not. There would be no excuses like, "I thought since blue pants were OK, that blue jeans would be OK" even when it states specifically in the code that jeans aren't OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 10:52 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
God no.
Why not uniforms? If not specific uniforms, then as has been suggested, very limited selections, such as for the boys cargo pants and polo shirts ("business casual")?

I don't see a need for kids in school to express themselves sartorially when their primary business should be studying. Clothing inequality is the cause of a great many school shenanigans with no positive purpose served.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:57 PM

509 posts, read 554,773 times
My kids' school has uniforms and they are great.
Saves time and money and there is no worry about kids showing up in questionable attire.
Different strokes

eta: so I clicked the link to view your kids' dress code. TONS of options, it appears you could have an entire class, maybe even half the school, and no 2 kids will be in the same outfit. OP, I fail to see the problem.

Last edited by Linerin; 05-05-2015 at 12:06 AM..

Old 05-05-2015, 01:46 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Uniforms make the most sense. No worrying about what to wear each day, kids are all wearing the same so there is less standing-out as poor or rich. Basically all schools in the UK have uniforms though over the last few years they seem to have become less formal (polo shirts rather than a proper shirt and tie. My high school even have a uniform hoody although I was the only one in the school that wore it). Also makes non-uniform days (usually once a term, and you pay 50p or so and it goes to charity) exciting and something to look forward to.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:12 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Kibbiekat already said this, but sometimes common sense isn't very common. What is "offensive" language? Who gets to decide?
Before the 90s we were able to decide what was ok and what wasn't without restrictive dress codes...

Old 05-05-2015, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Why not uniforms? If not specific uniforms, then as has been suggested, very limited selections, such as for the boys cargo pants and polo shirts ("business casual")?

I don't see a need for kids in school to express themselves sartorially when their primary business should be studying. Clothing inequality is the cause of a great many school shenanigans with no positive purpose served.
I think uniforms are restrictive. They don't lessen bullying or "clothing inequality" nor do they make children focus more on school.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Before the 90s we were able to decide what was ok and what wasn't without restrictive dress codes...
We had dress codes in the 60s and 70s.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:43 AM

Quote:
I think uniforms are restrictive. They don't lessen bullying or "clothing inequality" nor do they make children focus more on school.
Yes, they are restrictive. So? There are lots of restrictions in the life of a minor. That's what it means to be a minor.

Yes, they do lessen bullying. A kid not wearing expensive basketball shoes won't have expensive basketball shoes stolen from him. A girl not wearing 5-inch hoe stacks won't have sore feet.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
We had dress codes in the 60s and 70s.
Yes you did.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, they are restrictive. So? There are lots of restrictions in the life of a minor. That's what it means to be a minor.

Yes, they do lessen bullying. A kid not wearing expensive basketball shoes won't have expensive basketball shoes stolen from him. A girl not wearing 5-inch hoe stacks won't have sore feet.
No they don't. Now the kids who wear hand me down clothes are called out by those who wear Aero. They bully each other based on other things besides clothes too. Dress codes don't do anything to minimize bullying. Do you know why? They don't attack the root cause of bullying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting