Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 06:01 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,605,078 times

Advertisements

The best part is the mom in question has a son not a daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 06:12 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
It would only be OK if boys had to wear a non-white t-shirt as well.
I think everyone should have been required to wear a non-white T-shirt. But is that just when they're out of the pool? Or do they swim with the T-shirt on, too? If the girls are t-shirt-less in the pool, what's the point of having them wear a shirt out of the pool? Since when did schools start sponsoring pool parties for tweens, anyway?

Old 05-16-2015, 08:12 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,709,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think everyone should have been required to wear a non-white T-shirt. But is that just when they're out of the pool? Or do they swim with the T-shirt on, too? If the girls are t-shirt-less in the pool, what's the point of having them wear a shirt out of the pool? Since when did schools start sponsoring pool parties for tweens, anyway?
Usually they swim in the t-shirts.

And schools have been doing this for decades. We had a pool party when I was in junior high.....back in the late 70s. Some years before that everyone wentbto the beach ( it was a lake town). We also had a skating party in the winter. It just depends on the area.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:54 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I hope you are being facetious...boys need to learn how to look without teasing and without their mouths wide open. And they need to be taught this way before 6th grade.
Obviously that was sarcasm. lol

Old 05-16-2015, 10:00 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
This is an American thing. Wearing clothes in the pool. I know I know...Since Im not born American i wouldn't understand. Where I grew up girls wore swimsuits or bikinis and boys wore swim trunks. We weren't even allowed in the pool with clothes ( t shirt ) on. It's just weird to me.lol

Old 05-16-2015, 10:21 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I hope you are being facetious...boys need to learn how to look without teasing and without their mouths wide open. And they need to be taught this way before 6th grade.
Yup. I have always disliked how we teach the girls to cover up, instead of teaching the boys not to stare. So silly.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:39 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
This is an American thing. Wearing clothes in the pool. I know I know...Since Im not born American i wouldn't understand. Where I grew up girls wore swimsuits or bikinis and boys wore swim trunks. We weren't even allowed in the pool with clothes ( t shirt ) on. It's just weird to me.lol
People in this Country can be rather prudish.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:55 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,709,438 times
Quote:
Weird to me to....it's never been a dress code thing where I am ftom....just a few random parents who made their girls wear them.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:59 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
A very recent American thing, at that. I grew up here and when I was a kid in the 70s non-swimwear was not allowed in pools. Sometimes kids might wear a t shirt over their suit because they had a burn. Other than that, no way. I was always told it wasn't good for the pool equipment. Whether that's the case or not, this puritan stuff is for the birds.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:16 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,701,281 times
Once again this sexist attitude.

Boys are free to run around with little swimming pants, girls, huh, wear a shirt over a swimming suit, which from the beginning is half bigger and hides half more than boys little pants

I hate this double standard and woman discrimination!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting