Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:28 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,709,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Yes, I had to wear hose with pumps to teach in the late nineties. (Hose and pants.)

That changed a few years later. That's weird about the jeans.
Forgot about the pumps! We had to wear closed toes pumps with a heel of at least 1" . I guess the glimpse of a female toe (even encased in hose!) is just too much for the guys. And why would women want to be comfy in flat shoes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 07:32 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Forgot about the pumps! We had to wear closed toes pumps with a heel of at least 1" . I guess the glimpse of a female toe (even encased in hose!) is just too much for the guys. And why would women want to be comfy in flat shoes?
Ours couldn't even show toe cleavage. Hah!

Old 05-19-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Ours couldn't even show toe cleavage. Hah!
How Victorian!! Speaking of clevage....women's shirts were not be open past two fingers below the collar bone. No one checked the guys and their polo shirts every friday!

Old 05-19-2015, 07:45 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,406,162 times
I don't think the school had intention to body shame the girls. It was to protect them from boys (- and YES older men, such as other kids' fathers, teachers -) getting too much of a show if their bikini top came up or their swimsuit got wedged into their butts while swimming, etc.

I see it as protecting the girls, not attempting to shame them in any way.

If you have a daughter and can't understand that.. well..

I agree that boys should be wearing shirts too though. They are teens in the 6th grade, hormonal as hell and sexually/physically maturing at this point. They are not babies.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
I don't think the school had intention to body shame the girls. It was to protect them from boys (- and YES older men, such as other kids' fathers, teachers -) getting too much of a show if their bikini top came up or their swimsuit got wedged into their butts while swimming, etc.

I agree that boys should be wearing shirts too though. They are teens in the 6th grade, hormonal as hell and sexually/physically maturing at this point. They are not babies.
What's wrong with a girl wearing a swimsuit that her parents approve of? I don't think my daughter needs protection, just because she is wearing swimwear. If I felt she needed protection, I would put her in a different suit, like a rash guard. She can decide if she needs to wear a T shirt.

What if the boys suit gets pulled down? Should they be required to wear underwear or a cup. Just in case?

I don't think this was to protect the girls. They just felt the girls should cover up.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post

Protect them from what? It's shaming them that their bodies need to be covered because of how others may look at them and that their bodies...just by being female are so horrible (for what ever reason) that they need to be covered.

Who is holding thesee supposed leering boys and these drooling fathers accountable for their behavior if they can't act like a decent human bring towards the other gender? Personally that's insulting to men and boys as well....that they...simply because they have an XY chromosome....can't see a female as anything but a potential target and victim?

Old 05-19-2015, 08:53 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,131,251 times
Hello...

Girls are developing breasts and a lot of boys are the horniest and most easily visually stimulated they've ever been in their lives (in addition to their fathers being horny, and for inclusion we'll say lesbian girls and mothers). Of course it matters that girls cover up at this time.

Granted, I think that requiring them to wear a T-shirt is going a bit too far, but having them cover up their cleavage is simple common sense. And in real life gender goes far beyond chromosomes...so angry to see how "gender theory" has made inroads in our culture.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Hello...

Girls are developing breasts and a lot of boys are the horniest and most easily visually stimulated they've ever been in their lives (in addition to their fathers being horny, and for inclusion we'll say lesbian girls and mothers). Of course it matters that girls cover up at this time.

Granted, I think that requiring them to wear a T-shirt is going a bit too far, but having them cover up their cleavage is simple common sense. And in real life gender goes far beyond chromosomes...so angry to see how "gender theory" has made inroads in our culture.
Oh, please. If it's that big of a deal...cancel the party. I swam with boys all the time growing up and all the girls never wore Tshirts. It was never an issue, even with the girls who developed early and large.

All the kids need shirts or just cancel the darn thing. Why they need a school sponsored swim party with all these lusty males around is beyond me.

How rude is that to all the males.

Last edited by Meyerland; 05-19-2015 at 09:37 PM..

Old 05-19-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Hello...

Then maybe the boys that can't behave need to be removed and shamed for not being able to control themselves simply because they are boys.

Tell me...do you think that if a girl or woman is raped she deserves it because she visually stimulated the attacker by existing in public? That is exactly where this 'logic'' goes.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:46 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,264 times
Huh... if I were given just the thread title without "t-shirt", I would've thought they'd be required to wear pants, shorts, or something else to cover up when getting out of the water. I've seen many women and girls wrap a towel around the waist and down. To me, THAT's more revealing. Never figured they'd cover up for this reason.

Another issue is, what do they do about kids who are overweight, or have some condition/injury that may be too "embarrassing"? Seems like it never ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting