Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:18 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I think you'll find it's harder to keep your teenage daughters from taking topless pictures and sending them out on social media than worrying about being ashamed of their bodies in our over-sexualized culture. But let's forget that and fight all attempts at early modesty toward a nudist society because anything short of that is akin to forcing all women to wear burkas.

Maybe because many of you are older parents and aren't very in tune with what's going on in youth culture but prevailing peer pressure for young women is to show more and more skin.
Tons of eleven and twelve year old take topless photos. ( I am being sarcastic if it's not obvious.) Geez...these are sixth graders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 10:58 AM

The elementary school in question has a swim party for their sixth graders every year. These are eleven and twelve year old kids...not teens. Eleven is the cut off for pedophilia. So all the adult men lusting after these female or male Tweens need to step back and consider that.

The school could have made Tshirts mandatory for all kids. When asked to do this, they refused.

They could have asked for no bikinis or speedos unless covered with a Tshirt.

Either one is fine and doesn't single out the female gender.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:28 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,320,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
This is an American thing. Wearing clothes in the pool. I know I know...Since Im not born American i wouldn't understand. Where I grew up girls wore swimsuits or bikinis and boys wore swim trunks. We weren't even allowed in the pool with clothes ( t shirt ) on. It's just weird to me.lol
I agree. What's the point of having a swimsuit if you're going to cover it up with a T-shirt anyway?

I'm USA born and bred, but I find it silly too. To me, swim clothes are for swimming, non-swim clothes are for non-swimming, and that's that. When you're in the water, you wear swim attire and NOTHING ELSE. When you're out and done, you put on your "non swim" clothes, period, that's it.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:34 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,638,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Tons of eleven and twelve year old take topless photos. ( I am being sarcastic if it's not obvious.) Geez...these are sixth graders.

I Hate to burst your bubble, but some sixth graders are sexually active. The local middle school in the city where we used to live discovered a "club" of girls who were luring boys out into a nearby cluster of trees and performing oral sex on them. When confronted, the girls said they were't having sex because they never took off their clothes.

I still disagree with the concept of making the girls wear tshirts. Its a bad message, no doubt.

But you definitely need to update your ideas about what today's middle schoolers may be up to.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:37 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Of course not, because rapists still have the ability to refuse. But the temptations generated by seeing a well-developed, nubile young lady strutting her stuff in a bikini are so strong that many men have a strong time rejecting them immediately. Not to mention the majority that probably don't... This can make for awkward conversations and behavior, not to mention feelings.

Put it this way: if you don't want your daughter to be seen as a piece of meat, don't show too much skin, at least in mixed company. But even then other girls may be tempted towards envy...
Trying to be patient, bare with me. Read through this again, it's all topsy turvy. "Rapists still have the ability to refuse." Rapists are the aggressors, not the other way around. "Nubile young lady strutting her stuff", we're talking about 6th grade girls. And all the rest of this post...requiring t shirts for 6th grade girls or not, it's all wrong! I'm not trying to be rude, and I don't think I'm being reactionary...at least not trying to be...but this is so backwards.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:17 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
The elementary school in question has a swim party for their sixth graders every year. These are eleven and twelve year old kids...not teens. Eleven is the cut off for pedophilia. So all the adult men lusting after these female or male Tweens need to step back and consider that.

The school could have made Tshirts mandatory for all kids. When asked to do this, they refused.

They could have asked for no bikinis or speedos unless covered with a Tshirt.

Either one is fine and doesn't single out the female gender.
I agree with everything you said, but I'd like to address the bolded.

I would offer a possible reason they didn't want to simply say no bikinis or speedos. It's because that doesn't necessarily work. LOL. Bikini alone doesn't cover it, because we have things like "tankinis" that look perfectly fine on one kid but like an advertisement for a men's magazine on another. Then there are one pieces that have so many cutouts that they might as well be bikinis. Then we have girls wearing bathing suits that are a size smaller than they should be. Then there's the fact that more specific they make the rules for a dress code, the more likely parents will complain. If parents of girls get a list that says "no two piece swimwear, no one pieces with cutouts, leg holes in swimsuits not to go higher than a girl's hip bone, no necklines that expose beastbones, all private parts fully covered and bathing suits in the correct size.... Oh and for boys no speedos" some parents would riot. LOL

That's why I really think the best thing to do is set a simple rule like "no bikinis or speedos" and make the rest of the rules about proper behavior at the pool. Some kid will always come in something adults won't like. Teach everyone how to behave respectfully no matter who is wearing what. To me that's better than having kids swim in Tshirts.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
I Hate to burst your bubble, but some sixth graders are sexually active. The local middle school in the city where we used to live discovered a "club" of girls who were luring boys out into a nearby cluster of trees and performing oral sex on them. When confronted, the girls said they were't having sex because they never took off their clothes.

I still disagree with the concept of making the girls wear tshirts. Its a bad message, no doubt.

But you definitely need to update your ideas about what today's middle schoolers may be up to.
Please post a link supporting that a group of eleven and twelve year olds are in sex club. That would make the news for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting