Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what age would you MAKE your child get a job?
15-17 74 50.34%
18-21 46 31.29%
22-25 19 12.93%
26+ 8 5.44%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:31 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times

Advertisements

This thread is reminding me of the thread on the retirement forum that asks retirees when they started working and if they have worked continuously since then. Virtually all the retired folks, especially the early retirees, say they have worked since they were 14-16. 'Nuff said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 09:36 AM

95 posts, read 140,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by field l0ver View Post
i decided early on that i was going to refuse to ever hold a job... um, this is hard to do in a culture that doesnt have a great social security system. But...my family has had no choice but to be supportive, because though I refuse to hold a job at all costs, I'm still an innocent, knowledgeable person who just doesn't want to have a job in life... and I'm 26
This is EXACTLY what we DON'T want. Our society is continually lowering standards to make people like this have availability to FREE money. None of us WANT to work. We do so because we have a certain standard of living that we want to pass on to our kids. Part of life is reproducing and having kids. This goes back thousands of years and allows society to sustain itself. If you dont plan on having kids and you just want to live off the welfare system you are not serving any purpose in life. I don't mean to be disrespectful but just stating a fact. You have to PRODUCE as well as CONSUME. I know this may come as a shock to some people and if it does you may be mentally ill.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:44 AM

95 posts, read 140,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
as soon as they want to drive, they are told sure you can drive the family car but you need to help pay for your car insurance and gas....and with boys that was all that was needed, they had the carrot in front of them and have been working since they were in their teens. including through college carrying a full course load in science and engineering.

work is good, it instills discipline, time management, people skills, poise, confidence, pride in being capable, all the things that are a valuable to an employer. and employers are less impressed with a high GPA, than they are with someone who has a good reference from a boss, no matter how "menial" or "basic" the job. smart college graduates are a dime a dozen. it's the ones who are good team players and have a decent work ethic that are golden to employers.
IMO, this is the best post of this thread. I could not have said it better myself

Old 05-28-2015, 09:46 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,441,759 times
Quote:
i decided early on that i was going to refuse to ever hold a job... um, this is hard to do in a culture that doesnt have a great social security system. But...my family has had no choice but to be supportive, because though I refuse to hold a job at all costs, I'm still an innocent, knowledgeable person who just doesn't want to have a job in life... and I'm 26

Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind: did your parents eventually accept your position and decided to provide for your basic necessities indefinitely?

If yes, would it be too much to ask what their income bracket is? If yes, apologies in advance.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I guess my message here to the OP or any1 else is... if you have a child you shouldn't encourage them to be a pawn in competitive society...you should encourage them to step outside of that competitive culture, because it is not a measure of health to be well adjusted in a sick, unwell competitive society. I mean...this is not a natural condition that we have going on. Look to Scandinavia because what they have going on is a lot less competitive and there is a larger margin of freedom, social security...probably canada too. So...don't encourage your child to go out and be a soldier in competitive society, because it is no measure of health...just make sure they are thoughtful individuals, educated and stuff and the rest will fall into place. But I assume the OP has already failed in this way if they have underlined the word make and used bold letters etc.
I like you. No, really.
I am just having a bit of a hard time understanding the "basic necessities" part. Are you saying you are OK living on minimal resources (food, shelter) provided by your parents, and later you will rely on SS?

But will you be able to draw SS if you never worked ?

Old 05-28-2015, 10:01 AM

171 posts, read 197,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I live in an HOA neighborhood, have many times, and other than those that PROVIDE lawn care as part of your dues, I have never heard of one that required you to use a particular company. Seems like that would violate some sort of law against unfair competition. While in our neighborhood there are certainly "professional" lawn care services, there are also young people who work on word of mouth and get a LOT of work. One is the 3 man team of my 3 doors down neighbor's grandsons. They are in college and do yardwork such as weeding, mowing, hauling rocks and mulch, laying sod, loading moving trucks, rearranging furniture, etc. Another is a two man team of developmentally challenged young guys who do yardwork. We also have retirees who do painting, electrical work, tile-laying, etc. in their spare time. There is a lot of side work being done out there.
well it seems like things are very different in tennessee

Old 05-28-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
yes!! I do unfortunately. Well the good thing is that I'm pretty much already in one of the top cash assistance states...it might be even the best, not too sure. But I do have a long way to go as far as navigating through the social security system. It's not going to be fun...a dreadful life ahead! guaranteed! well...this is better than a conventional career or full time job, but still awful

Oooohhhhh....now I REALLY like you. Your last sentence is killer truth.

I am jealous of your rebellious resourcefulness and I know you will have a better quality of life than most of us.
Enjoy it, it's on us.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:14 AM

48 posts, read 50,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
You certainly can't be serious here. You've gotta be toying with us. What are you going to get? $400/month? What the hell can you do with that?

I'll keep my job and career and continue to fund my awesome hobbies.
no no...you can get more than 400$. Um...I mean you can get an apartment paid for in full with cash assistance. I think up to 660$ toward an apartment and they will cover utilities. So...I can rely on cash assistance to fund a place to live on my own. I'm not sure if I'll have much money left over after the apartment. I might have like 150$ or less per month to play around with, or not even. Okay but thats cash assistance...SSI would be like 700$ or more per month, and it's pretty stable long term. It's a process to get it however, involving different documentation. I mean there are some states that make this very difficult or have their own random process, but I live in a state that is the most easy to get all this...at least my understanding is that it's the easiest

I can probably rely on cash assistance and do some part time work for a while, or my entire life...and in the meantime be continually working toward getting on the SSI. By part time work I mean 2-3 days a week, leaning toward 2 days a week. As long as I don't make a lot of money at work or don't work at all, I can get benefits all the time. Also I probably cannot own a car either because your assets need to be at an all time low...but there are a lot of potential freedoms with this plan. For example I can take a nap pretty much whenever

Old 05-28-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySonsDad View Post
This is EXACTLY what we DON'T want. Our society is continually lowering standards to make people like this have availability to FREE money. None of us WANT to work. We do so because we have a certain standard of living that we want to pass on to our kids. Part of life is reproducing and having kids. This goes back thousands of years and allows society to sustain itself. If you dont plan on having kids and you just want to live off the welfare system you are not serving any purpose in life. I don't mean to be disrespectful but just stating a fact. You have to PRODUCE as well as CONSUME. I know this may come as a shock to some people and if it does you may be mentally ill.
Reproducing and having kids does NOT have to be part of life. So goes for producing and consuming. Your proposed axioms are not just vexing but also quite useless.

Many people can live on minimal production (for personal use, not for exchange) and minimal consumption - it's called meeting basic necessities to stay alive and free. All this does not have to involve "a job".
This is where this poster is coming from. He refuses to pump into a rotten system that guarantees a horrible quality of life just to maintain some artificial standards of living for himself all while fattening other people's pockets. This may come as a shock to YOU, but this is not mental illness, just sufficient lucidity - which I find quite impressive at the age of 26.

He is simply lucky he found parents who accept this status quo.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
no no...you can get more than 400$. Um...I mean you can get an apartment paid for in full with cash assistance. I think up to 660$ toward an apartment and they will cover utilities. So...I can rely on cash assistance to fund a place to live on my own. I'm not sure if I'll have much money left over after the apartment. I might have like 150$ or less per month to play around with, or not even. Okay but thats cash assistance...SSI would be like 700$ or more per month, and it's pretty stable long term. It's a process to get it however, involving different documentation. I mean there are some states that make this very difficult or have their own random process, but I live in a state that is the most easy to get all this...at least my understanding is that it's the easiest

I can probably rely on cash assistance and do some part time work for a while, or my entire life...and in the meantime be continually working toward getting on the SSI. By part time work I mean 2-3 days a week, leaning toward 2 days a week. As long as I don't make a lot of money at work or don't work at all, I can get benefits all the time. Also I probably cannot own a car either because your assets need to be at an all time low...but there are a lot of potential freedoms with this plan. For example I can take a nap pretty much whenever
Jeez, if I didn't have kids, I would have paid you for some tutoring.
You seem to be quite the expert in working the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting