Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what age would you MAKE your child get a job?
15-17 74 50.34%
18-21 46 31.29%
22-25 19 12.93%
26+ 8 5.44%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 10:27 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,870 times

Advertisements

Our kids are in school from 8-3 and then participate in leadership and play volleyball, basketball or soccer (depending on the season) for on average (including tournaments) 2 hours a day.

While they're doing that, we don't require them to get a job as they're already putting a longer day in than many adults. We do expect them to pitch in around the house and the older is expected to drive the younger around in exchange for the use of a car for school/sports.

We also live out of town a few miles so there is no bus they could take to a part time job so their part time job would mean more work for us

During the summer they do coach at sports camps to make money.

If our kids weren't in extracurricular activities I would probably expect them to work but to date that hasn't been the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 10:29 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,761,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
In what career paths is working as a teen a disadvantage?
A career path which values education more than job experience at the beginning. The classic examples being medicine and law, and some newer examples being engineering and genetics.

Basically, if you have a really bright and motivated kid who looks like they may want to go to a top notch university and would probably be successful, you should not be pushing that kid to go work at McDonalds in the evenings in high school. That kid should either be studying, doing an extracurricular, or volunteering for some humanitarian cause. That's what the university admissions office is looking for. They want experiences, they don't really care if you got paid.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:33 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,878,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
A career path which values education more than job experience at the beginning. The classic examples being medicine and law, and some newer examples being engineering and genetics.

Basically, if you have a really bright and motivated kid who looks like they may want to go to a top notch university and would probably be successful, you should not be pushing that kid to go work at McDonalds in the evenings in high school. That kid should either be studying, doing an extracurricular, or volunteering for some humanitarian cause. That's what the university admissions office is looking for. They want experiences, they don't really care if you got paid.
Strange. I've known successful folks in all those fields. None were penalized for having a job as a teen.

Did you happen to read the research I posted a few comments above this? Some work has a positive effect on grades...

Old 05-29-2015, 10:35 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
At what age would you MAKE your child get a job? And at what age (if any) would you kick them out?
When they were old enough to carry a rife for the Devil Dogs, Rangers, or any other branch of service.

Never had to kick my kids any where's.

They both worked very hard archiving their dreams, (Cop / Fireman) they achieved them, and still reaching higher...

Good Day!..

Old 05-29-2015, 10:42 AM

779 posts, read 928,338 times
Quote:
I certainly agree it should be taught from day one. But:
“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.â€
I agree that there is something to learning to treat others with respect by having been disrespected yourself... But I think there's better ways to teach your child this than throwing them to the masses at the age of 15 or 16.

How about when they come home complaining about bullies at school? Help them understand why it's important for them not to become a bully or to mistreat others, because they wouldn't want to make someone else feel the way that bully made them feel.

I'm not a parent, yet. But I'm constantly observing parents in public, both good in bad. The good parents are the ones who are constantly communicating with their children ie, someone hands your child something, and the parent says, "What do you say?" "Thank you."... It's good to communicate to your child lessons that will help them throughout life, and some of this will come from experience(s) no doubt. But a child will have the rest of his life to work a normal job. In my opinion choirs, schoolwork, extracurricular activities is enough until the age of 18. If they're in college and I could afford it, I would have no problem supporting them while they work as an apprentice in their field of study.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I agree that there is something to learning to treat others with respect by having been disrespected yourself... But I think there's better ways to teach your child this than throwing them to the masses at the age of 15 or 16.

How about when they come home complaining about bullies at school? Help them understand why it's important for them not to become a bully or to mistreat others, because they wouldn't want to make someone else feel the way that bully made them feel.

I'm not a parent, yet. But I'm constantly observing parents in public, both good in bad. The good parents are the ones who are constantly communicating with their children ie, someone hands your child something, and the parent says, "What do you say?" "Thank you."... It's good to communicate to your child lessons that will help them throughout life, and some of this will come from experience(s) no doubt. But a child will have the rest of his life to work a normal job. In my opinion choirs, schoolwork, extracurricular activities is enough until the age of 18. If they're in college and I could afford it, I would have no problem supporting them while they work as an apprentice in their field of study.
Work teaches a lot more than just that.

I teach at a college. I can usually tell which of my students have work experience. Their work product is better, and they are better able to juggle the multiple demands of college. They frequently seem more confident.

Sounds like you will make a good parent at some point.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:15 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,625,561 times
Quote:
Well said. If you want your children to start having a general disdain for the human race at an early age, make them get a job in the service sector dealing with the entitled general public on a regular basis.... I'm not sure if forcing children to work while they're still in high school teaches them anything that they can't learn later in life or when they finish college.
Exactly. I worked at a local convenience store/deli. People can be difficult, co-workers can be ornery and bitter. Not bad to learn to deal with that, but if it's dominating you AND you're still developing mentally yourself, it's not good for confidence. That doesn't mean I wouldn't shun this type of work. I'm just saying it was too many hours during school and the summer factory job could really make you hate life.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:25 AM

482 posts, read 945,486 times
Are we talking college grad or HS drop out? I mean the question is too cut and dry. My child's only job is to be a student until she graduates COLLEGE. That being said, if she thinks she needs extra income for her girly stuff, that is fine. I want her to be able to focus on her studies.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908WAGY View Post
Are we talking college grad or HS drop out? I mean the question is too cut and dry. My child's only job is to be a student until she graduates COLLEGE. That being said, if she thinks she needs extra income for her girly stuff, that is fine. I want her to be able to focus on her studies.
The OP didn't give any of those details.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:01 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,761,672 times
Quote:
Strange. I've known successful folks in all those fields. None were penalized for having a job as a teen.

Did you happen to read the research I posted a few comments above this? Some work has a positive effect on grades...
Yes I read it. There was one sentence with a positive effect of a very limited hour teen job, and then several paragraphs of negative effects of teen jobs.

Two questions about the successful people you know: were their teen jobs a limited hour job chosen to give them real world experience in a potential field of study? Like an engineering internship? Or were their jobs more of a work as many hours as you can get at wherever pays well because you need some money to support yourself type jobs? Like a bagboy at the local grocery? And if it was the second, are you SURE they weren't penalized for it?

I know some successful folks in these fields who were forced by circumstance to have the second type of job as a teen. They assure me that they would have been MORE successful in school had they been allowed to just go home and study, or participate in a non-paying (or barely-paying) activity related to their career interests. They worked because they had to, and did the best they could in spite of that, and succeeded. And they are very proud of their accomplishments. But by and large they do feel they would have had even more opportunities had they not had to work in high school and college. And are striving to provide that circumstance for their own children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting