Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what age would you MAKE your child get a job?
15-17 74 50.34%
18-21 46 31.29%
22-25 19 12.93%
26+ 8 5.44%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 04:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was referring to the original studies by Pike et al and Salisbury et al. Both appear to be reputable researchers running valid studies.

The article I referred you to was, of course, a secondary source. Perhaps you would share?

Regardless, I have yet to see research validating the opposing view.

Yes. Some of the commentary below the article was interesting. Since you value anecdotal examples, I can tell you I've seen plenty that worked hard as part of the work study program. And some that didn't. I didn't participate in that program. But, I did work on campus. My on campus jobs were NOT study hall. I worked.
If you'd cut the snark I'd be more inclined to share with you.

The problem with research and statistics is that it doesn't matter for the individual kid. So much depends on what courses s/he is taking-lots of reading, lots of papers, lots of labs means that work cuts into school more than courses that mostly take place in the classroom. One of my kids got a job coaching gymnastics at a town gym, it was about 10 hrs/wk but on three separate days. A lot of trips to make barely above minimum wage. She started having trouble keeping up with schoolwork and we prevailed upon her to quit, said working in the summer would be sufficient.

DD did have a friend who had a work/study job in the college library, which did give her time to study. Go to any college library and observe the staff at the desks. They're all studying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
My 16 year old just started her 1st part time job at a grocery store. During school she work 4:30-11:00 on Friday, Saturday and Sundays.I am sure this will change over the summer and she will get more hours. It has been awesome for her. She has always been an A student and still is. I have noticed that she doesn't put off doing homework any more because she knows she has to work. Her room stays cleaner for the same reasons. She wants to work. She has her own bank account with a debit card. So far she has saved every dime that she has made. She knows if her grades drop she will have to quit her job. We plan on getting her a used car for her 17th birthday, then she will pay for her own gas and car insurance.
I'm about ready to say, well, I won't say it. Working did not make my kids keep their rooms any neater, if anything they were worse. If your daughter just got this job, at the end of the school year, no wonder it didn't affect her grades. Next fall will be the test. If she's saving every dime, who is paying for her clothes, her gas, her social outings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 04:57 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I never had a job throughout high school or college and as a result I had the time to get straight A's and wrote a non-fiction book in high school that landed me a literary agent. I started my own business in college and got valuable skills in marketing, content creation, project management, accounting, and overall business. I've still never worked for anyone else and I own my own small business now.

Parents shouldn't "make" their kids get jobs if they can do other things. I wrote freelance articles for $50-75 that paid me $25-50 per hour of work in high school while my friends were making $8/hour or whatever. How much do you think most people learn from minimum wage jobs? Not much. That's why I'm ahead of a lot of these people today because their dumb parents didn't properly save to provide their kids a good life and the things they needed, force them to get lame useless jobs, and then wonder why their kids turn out at best mediocre working some 9-to-5 gig that's not a true career.

Kids should have the opportunity to pursue what they value as long as they are dedicated and passionate. There's no one size fits all.
Dude, surely you are smart enough to realize that writing was your hs job.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
If you'd cut the snark I'd be more inclined to share with you.

The problem with research and statistics is that it doesn't matter for the individual kid. So much depends on what courses s/he is taking-lots of reading, lots of papers, lots of labs means that work cuts into school more than courses that mostly take place in the classroom. One of my kids got a job coaching gymnastics at a town gym, it was about 10 hrs/wk but on three separate days. A lot of trips to make barely above minimum wage. She started having trouble keeping up with schoolwork and we prevailed upon her to quit, said working in the summer would be sufficient.

DD did have a friend who had a work/study job in the college library, which did give her time to study. Go to any college library and observe the staff at the desks. They're all studying.

I'm about ready to say, well, I won't say it. Working did not make my kids keep their rooms any neater, if anything they were worse. If your daughter just got this job, at the end of the school year, no wonder it didn't affect her grades. Next fall will be the test. If she's saving every dime, who is paying for her clothes, her gas, her social outings?
Not trying to be snarky. Sorry if you read it as such.

Of course studies don't show what is best for each individual. They are supposed to show what is generally best. Good judgement is still required.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I never had a job throughout high school or college and as a result I had the time to get straight A's and wrote a non-fiction book in high school that landed me a literary agent. I started my own business in college and got valuable skills in marketing, content creation, project management, accounting, and overall business. I've still never worked for anyone else and I own my own small business now.

Parents shouldn't "make" their kids get jobs if they can do other things. I wrote freelance articles for $50-75 that paid me $25-50 per hour of work in high school while my friends were making $8/hour or whatever. How much do you think most people learn from minimum wage jobs? Not much. That's why I'm ahead of a lot of these people today because their dumb parents didn't properly save to provide their kids a good life and the things they needed, force them to get lame useless jobs, and then wonder why their kids turn out at best mediocre working some 9-to-5 gig that's not a true career.

Kids should have the opportunity to pursue what they value as long as they are dedicated and passionate. There's no one size fits all.
So you did have a job in HS...

Depends on the job, but they learn to deal with the public, learn to deal with supervisors, learn the value of a dollar, learn to budget...

So your parents "saved" enough to provide for you, yet you earned your own money in HS anyway? Or were your parents among the "dumb" ones who didn't. I'm confused.

What do you think kids learn from NOT working while their parents pay for the "good life?"

Old 05-31-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
So you did have a job in HS...

Depends on the job, but they learn to deal with the public, learn to deal with supervisors, learn the value of a dollar, learn to budget...

So your parents "saved" enough to provide for you, yet you earned your own money in HS anyway? Or were your parents among the "dumb" ones who didn't. I'm confused.

What do you think kids learn from NOT working while their parents pay for the "good life?"
You do realize jonathon and Fieldlover are different posters? Seems like you sre conflating them...

Old 05-31-2015, 05:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
You do realize jonathon and Fieldlover are different posters? Seems like you sre conflating them...
No, I was simply responding to the post I quoted.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
No, I was simply responding to the post I quoted.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
How the Sam Hill do you expect your utopia of relaxation to be financed? Scandinavia has had to curtail services, their model was not sustainable. Neither is your dream.
While it is not feasible at this time because of the politics, here is an analysis of how it could work.

It's Time to Start Talking Seriously About Basic Income*|*Jim Pugh

Quote:
In an economy premised on the idea of full employment, the displacement of millions of jobs by robots would be a devastating blow. With large segments of the population out of work, there would be massive increases in inequality and poverty, and a huge amount of strain on our social welfare systems for the unemployed, which weren't designed to support that number of people for extended periods of time.
Quote:
It's true that Basic Income would be an expensive program, and likely require an increase in taxation to provide the additional revenue. But with these considerations in mind, the cost of implementing it begins to seem more reasonable -- particularly when the alternative is rampant poverty from a robot jobs takeover.
There have been small scale experiments with the basic income and it has turned out well.

Quote:
There was no significant decrease in employment rates when Basic Income was implemented for five years in the Canadian town of Dauphin, and economic productivity actually increased in a two-year test of Basic Income in a Namibian village.
USBIG: What is BIG?

Old 05-31-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
While it is not feasible at this time because of the politics, here is an analysis of how it could work.

It's Time to Start Talking Seriously About Basic Income*|*Jim Pugh

There have been small scale experiments with the basic income and it has turned out well.

USBIG: What is BIG?

The Economist did a nice write up on this recently:
Basically unaffordable | The Economist
...But a basic income is too costly and inefficient to act as a wholesale replacement for welfare. It is feasible only if it is small, and complemented by more targeted anti-poverty measures. Basic income: the clue is in the name.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by field l0ver View Post
Um so yea I've had much training in that dept, and now I'm just trying to make it in the world
Oh, pu-leeze. You're not trying to make it. You've chucked it in and decided to let (or make - it's unclear which) your parents support you. Your back-up plan is finding someone who will support you while you do nothing all day. lol. Rotsa ruck.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-31-2015 at 08:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting