Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what age would you MAKE your child get a job?
15-17 74 50.34%
18-21 46 31.29%
22-25 19 12.93%
26+ 8 5.44%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 01:41 PM

48 posts, read 50,341 times

Advertisements

it is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a competitive society!!!!111 no one should ever work more than 25 hours maximum per week! nationwide health care, free college and basic income for every1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 01:53 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by field l0ver View Post
it is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a competitive society!!!!111 no one should ever work more than 25 hours maximum per week! nationwide health care, free college and basic income for every1
How the Sam Hill do you expect your utopia of relaxation to be financed? Scandinavia has had to curtail services, their model was not sustainable. Neither is your dream.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,251,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by field l0ver View Post
We get it. You don't want to work, you live off Mom and Dad's dime and you've got big plans for being on the dole after they kick the bucket. You aren't the first. SoCal beach towns are full of guys like you. Most have alienated all their friends by 25. Have a mouth full of bad teeth by 35 and a bad liver by 45. It goes downhill from there.

So. How long did it take you to con your parents into working all day so they could fund your "I Don't Wanna Work! " program?

Old 05-31-2015, 02:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,507,666 times
Never had to make my kids work. Both held jobs from 15/16 (not counting babysitting/yardwork etc). If they wanted to drive they knew gas and minor maintenance of a car used solely by them was their responsibility. They both enjoyed the freedom of having their own spending money and never looked back. They were fortunate to find jobs thar were either flexible or at times that did not interfere with school or activities. We did request they refrain from working during their freshman year of college.

I think (and they would agree) working in HS and college benefitted them greatly. Time management, budgeting, understanding the employer/employee relationship as well as workplace politics...all beneficial lessons. Seeing firsthand the difference in behavior and attitude between the driven/entrepreneurial people and those who were stuck in low paying jobs. Their college jobs opened doors and networking opportunities, and provided letters of recommendation attesting to their work ethic and abilities to work as part of a team among other things.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:13 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,886,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
So a group of people cooked up these "levels of engagement" and then did a study. I'm not impressed. My kids' experience with doing group projects in college was that it was very difficult to get a time for the group to meet with so many students working strange hours. Love the conclusion , it doesn't seem to be exactly research-based, e.g. "likely because". I agree that working on-campus is better b/c those jobs are more likely to be willing to be flexible when it comes to needing time off to take exams, etc.

You're free to dislike the research. I believe it is from a reputable, peer reviewed resource. Point is-I backed up my opinions with research. What have you got? An anecdotal example?

Last edited by Keim; 05-31-2015 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: elaboration

Old 05-31-2015, 03:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,975,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
You're free to dislike the research. I believe it is from a reputable, peer reviewed resource. Point is-I backed up my opinions with research. What have you got? An anecdotal example?
I don't think the study came from a peer-reviewed journal; it was a research project presentation. I also see a lot of "suggests", etc. The comments are interesting.

"If work study is elsewhere as it is here, then the majority of the less-than-20 hrs/wk on-campus workers are spending 80% of their "working" hours studying and doing homework. Work study students typically have few real responsibilities, and being forced to sit at a desk, sometimes (gasp) without a computer, they find themselves in the equivalent of an enforced study hall."

Old 05-31-2015, 03:52 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,886,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I don't think the study came from a peer-reviewed journal; it was a research project presentation. I also see a lot of "suggests", etc. The comments are interesting.

"If work study is elsewhere as it is here, then the majority of the less-than-20 hrs/wk on-campus workers are spending 80% of their "working" hours studying and doing homework. Work study students typically have few real responsibilities, and being forced to sit at a desk, sometimes (gasp) without a computer, they find themselves in the equivalent of an enforced study hall."

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was referring to the original studies by Pike et al and Salisbury et al. Both appear to be reputable researchers running valid studies.

The article I referred you to was, of course, a secondary source. Perhaps you would share?

Regardless, I have yet to see research validating the opposing view.

Yes. Some of the commentary below the article was interesting. Since you value anecdotal examples, I can tell you I've seen plenty that worked hard as part of the work study program. And some that didn't. I didn't participate in that program. But, I did work on campus. My on campus jobs were NOT study hall. I worked.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:07 PM

48 posts, read 50,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

So. How long did it take you to con your parents into working all day so they could fund your "I Don't Wanna Work! " program?
well luckily I got my bachelors degree in con arts which is a competitive program within the school of fine arts...so yea it didn't take me long because I've taken a lot of classes and have had much preparation. The class that helped me the most was probably the psychology of modern con artistry. Um so yea I've had much training in that dept, and now I'm just trying to make it in the world

Old 05-31-2015, 04:24 PM

831 posts, read 1,585,528 times
My 16 year old just started her 1st part time job at a grocery store. During school she work 4:30-11:00 on Friday, Saturday and Sundays.I am sure this will change over the summer and she will get more hours. It has been awesome for her. She has always been an A student and still is. I have noticed that she doesn't put off doing homework any more because she knows she has to work. Her room stays cleaner for the same reasons. She wants to work. She has her own bank account with a debit card. So far she has saved every dime that she has made. She knows if her grades drop she will have to quit her job. We plan on getting her a used car for her 17th birthday, then she will pay for her own gas and car insurance.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:34 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,656,122 times
I never had a job throughout high school or college and as a result I had the time to get straight A's and wrote a non-fiction book in high school that landed me a literary agent. I started my own business in college and got valuable skills in marketing, content creation, project management, accounting, and overall business. I've still never worked for anyone else and I own my own small business now.

Parents shouldn't "make" their kids get jobs if they can do other things. I wrote freelance articles for $50-75 that paid me $25-50 per hour of work in high school while my friends were making $8/hour or whatever. How much do you think most people learn from minimum wage jobs? Not much. That's why I'm ahead of a lot of these people today because their dumb parents didn't properly save to provide their kids a good life and the things they needed, force them to get lame useless jobs, and then wonder why their kids turn out at best mediocre working some 9-to-5 gig that's not a true career.

Kids should have the opportunity to pursue what they value as long as they are dedicated and passionate. There's no one size fits all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting