Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 01:09 PM

41 posts, read 30,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Okay....but just because you didn't play video games doesn't mean that anyone that does play them also doesn't do things like play boards fames or take day trips/vacations.

You are coming up with false discotmies to complain about a non-issue. We didn't have video games when I grew up (we did have arcades...which the pearl clutchers all complained about as well) ....all that means is that the technology wasn't there yet...nothing more...nothing less.
Yeah and technology has impacted everyone that no one interacts socially In person anymore. Thanks to idiotic things like Facebook or text messaging. People lack social skills now with stuff like that

Old 09-07-2015, 01:12 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiciswhereitas View Post
Well I used a computer in high school and didn't cry about not having one. They had computers for students to use. I did things for sheer enjoyment. Hang out with friends.family time was spent going on day trips and we played board games. I survived and lived.
I think the point is that kids don't have to "get something" out of playing on the computer. They can do it because its fun and for no other reason. I'm not sure my kids "get something" out of going kayaking. It's just fun so we do it. You can do lots of different things during family time. Having a computer, ipad, tv, or video game system does not mean you can't have family time. One kind of family time isn't better than the other. Life can be enjoyable in many different ways.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:12 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
Quote:
Yeah and technology has impacted everyone that no one interacts socially In person anymore. Thanks to idiotic things like Facebook or text messaging. People lack social skills now with stuff like that
Some have always lacked social skills...and it was brutal for them before there were niche outlets for them.

Again.....technology has not created any of these issues and nothing prevents someone from using a message board or Facebook and still having social skills.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:13 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Nobody?

Old 09-07-2015, 01:15 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Nobody?
Not one Person on the Planet, Momma_Bear .

Old 09-07-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
No, their social skill sets have changed is all. I have a lot less people I am friends with outside of work, but I have a lot more people that care about me.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:18 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Nobody?
Nope.....people stopped talking to each other when June Cleaver took off her apron...we also lost all ability to play gin rummy.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:23 PM

41 posts, read 30,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Some have always lacked social skills...and it was brutal for them before there were niche outlets for them.

Again.....technology has not created any of these issues and nothing prevents someone from using a message board or Facebook and still having social skills.
Well there are dangers of Facebook also. When you post pictures there are always way around getting to those pictures. They can be altered and reposted in a way that you might not like. Plus with smart phones having video recording capabilities that lets say for example someone comes into your home and you and your husband argue over something and then the person goes and posts your argument with your husband somewhere out on Facebook or YouTube as an anonymous post. WhAt would you do? So technology is not always safe and can be dangerous

Old 09-07-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Well there are dangers of Facebook also. When you post pictures there are always way around getting to those pictures. They can be altered and reposted in a way that you might not like. Plus with smart phones having video recording capabilities that lets say for example someone comes into your home and you and your husband argue over something and then the person goes and posts your argument with your husband somewhere out on Facebook or YouTube as an anonymous post. WhAt would you do? So technology is not always safe and can be dangerous

Old 09-07-2015, 01:24 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,898 times
Quote:
That is true. Parents are doing an rlextremely poor job raising their kids. Spoiling them with toys and iPhones and iPads doesn't teach them anything. And these are the types of parents who go saying some false statements that they had abusive and alcoholic family members in the 1950s. If they had those kinds of so called parents why is it that people from those days were more respectful? If you don't have the proof if parents were abusive and alcholics it means nothing them. But it is fact that parents today spoil their kids left and right. Just walk into an Apple Store and watch parents spoil their kids with iPads or iphones
Quote:
I have one question? Do kids really need 1000.00 in Christmas gifts?? What do they get out of it? Primarily nothing!!!!!
You seem to misunderstand what constitutes 'spoiling'. Spoiling is buying children expensive gifts INSTEAD OF spending time with them. A lot of parents today buy their children things to help make up for the loss of 'free play' time, due to the taking over of structured sports and activities of what used to be the time to explore the world and build life long friendships. This, coupled with the 24/7 media frenzy that pushes parents to believe that children are NEVER safe unless supervised by multiple adults, virtually eliminates the self discovery that was considered normal before the digital age.

Back in the '60's & '70s when I was in school, kids were expected to roam the neighborhoods, spending time with the neighbor kids at their houses, yards, woods, schoolyard playgrounds, and local parks. Today, that communication and discovery is made through those evil iPhones and iPads that you hate buying for the children so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting