Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 05:47 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Walt must be turning over in his grave because of the garbage that Disney shows lately.
Maybe he isn't dead ~shifty eyes~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 07:34 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,031 times
My boys are 6 and 7. The six year old just want to watch football, basketball, and hockey. He doesn't care who is playing, he just wants sports. The seven year old likes Wild Kratts and food network. He watches football too.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:40 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
I forgot about Spongebob - kids love it. And old Looney Tunes. PBS Nature. I've started letting my 12 year old watch Modern Family. But still, fave still is Wonder Years

Old 01-30-2016, 08:44 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Arthur, Little Bear, Blues Clues, and Peppa Pig are all adorable and very kid/adult friendly.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:46 PM

500 posts, read 748,403 times
I think when you ban a show aimed at kids, you might be missing out on the chance to educate them on why it's not something they should watch. If they really like the show, watch it with them. Tell them your concerns and ask questions. They probably know most of what's wrong with show but like it for a certain character or actor. That won't override your influence in teaching them values.

My daughter used to like some of the Disney shows and iCarly but she was able to spot their weaknesses and soon lost interest. I think it's the same with a lot of choices kids have to learn to make. Teach them to question and be resilient. They will carry that with them when they have to make even more difficult decisions as teens and beyond.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:10 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKim8 View Post
Teach them to question and be resilient. They will carry that with them when they have to make even more difficult decisions as teens and beyond.
Good point above.

As your child gets older and their mind becomes more inquisitive, they will naturally start gravitating to more sophisticated programming.

My 8 year old watches her share of Disney shows etc, but she also has started to really get into nature and science programs as well. The other night, she was really engrossed in a NOVA show about the devastating earthquake a few years ago in Tibet. When bedtime rolled around, we recorded the rest for her, and yesterday morning, I woke up to find her sitting in her playroom watching the rest of the NOVA show.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:58 PM

92 posts, read 116,479 times
We do talk about the different things she watches - especially when we ban a show.
We love icarly.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:06 PM

182 posts, read 197,421 times
I've just about banned the Disney shows--just the sound of the girl's voices is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. Absolutely love Little Lunch on Netflix--why can't there be more of this kind of show?

Old 04-04-2016, 08:56 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,680 times
Hmmmmm.... banned shows....pretty much every show as my oldest is just three, LOL. But we dislike most things on Disney
But seriously, when she does watch TV, it's pretty limited choice:

Daniel Tiger
Peppa Pig
Mr. Rogers Neighborhood (the originals)
Bob the Builder
Super Why

Certain YouTube items we watch:
Super Simple Songs
Little Baby Bum
generic you tube uploads of real animals frolicking around

Old 04-04-2016, 09:25 AM

922 posts, read 1,111,898 times
Spongebob is banned in our house and always has been, along with any of the teeny bopper shows that have real people in them. Max and Ruby drive me up a WALL- Ruby is such a know-it-all! Our kids are 5 and 6 1/2 and they like Peppa Pig, Phineas and Ferb and Sophia the First. Disney has recently been airing a commercial aimed at girls that has all of the Disney princesses in it and the message is that girls can do anything they want and dream about. It's actually a catchy commercial and my eldest asked me if it was true that she could do whatever she wanted when she grew up and I said OF COURSE IT IS!!! She has been saying that she wants to be a veterinarian for awhile and so far that seems to be sticking, although the type of animals she wants to care for changes every so often, lol.

Youtube videos of funny cats and dogs are always hits, too. Our kiddos also watch shows about the universe and nature with DH and I and when your kid goes around talking about black holes and nebula's with total accuracy, well, it does a parent's heart good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting