Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 07:06 AM

24 posts, read 33,004 times

Advertisements

Hello All:

So my daughter (she's 15 right now) has been hounding me for around 3 years now regarding a name change. Her name is Ellie, and I have no idea why she hates it so much, it's a beautiful name! I don't know whether it has anything to do with her grandmother dying, since they shared a name, but she won't tell me when I ask, she just gets angry. The other day we were having an argument about it yet again, and then suddenly she ran to the kitchen, grabbed one of those sharp knives and told me that if I don't allow her to change her name she's going to slit her wrists with that knife. It was alarming, obviously, so now I don't know what to do. I'm worried sick, if I'm going to be honest. I keep on trying to get in touch with my ex-husband but he always somehow dodges my calls. He hasn't really kept in touch since we divorced so he won't be much help either.
I recommended taking her to a therapist so she can discuss her issues openly and freely but as soon as I suggested it she got unbelievably angry at me and started calling me every name in the book.
Ultimately I'm not sure whether I should just let her change the damn name so she can stop with this, or if I should be firm and put my foot down and simply not allow that kind of bratty behavior.

Thanks in advance for any advice
-Adrianna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 07:16 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Mods, this should probably be moved to the Parenting forum...

Old 07-02-2016, 07:19 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Letting her change her name will not change whatever caused her to threaten suicide. Take her to a therapist or a hospital, like yesterday.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:43 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,819,491 times
Tell her she can change it when she turns 18 and in the meantime you can call her whatever name she chooses. Honestly, Ellie isn't that beautiful.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Letting her change her name will not change whatever caused her to threaten suicide. Take her to a therapist or a hospital, like yesterday.
I've tried recommending a therapist, she's pretty adamant about not wanting to go. It's not like I can drag her there against her will.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:55 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylineofhope View Post
I've tried recommending a therapist, she's pretty adamant about not wanting to go. It's not like I can drag her there against her will.
Who's the parent here? Normal, mentally healthy kids don't threaten to kill themselves. Focusing on the name change thing would be a huge mistake. There is something more going on.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Tell her she can change it when she turns 18 and in the meantime you can call her whatever name she chooses. Honestly, Ellie isn't that beautiful.
It was my late mother's name; it's short for Eleanore, which she also hates. I'm sorry but I can't just accept calling her something else after I've called her Ellie for the last 15 years. It'll be tough. Plus I've said multiple times that she can use her middle name which is Jessica but she hates that as well. She just wants to completely change her identity and who she is. I can't just accept that willy nilly.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:00 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,116,207 times
Taking a kitchen knife and threatening to kill herself is not normal behavior. In fact it's very alarming. You really should drag her to the hospital and have her locked in the psych ward for a couple of days.

If she is just trying to manipulate you by using suicide as an excuse then the psych ward will scare her into not using that manipulation tactic ever again.

But if she is truly suicidal then being locked up in the psych ward might help her talk to some objective persons about her problems and they may actually be able to help her.

Either way she belongs in the psych ward. I would've dragged her there immediately when she threatened to kill herself.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:01 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
Needs a therapist stat. Drag her if you have to...

This is not about a name really...do you know what else is going on?

For curiosity's sake, what is she wanting to change it to?

Old 07-02-2016, 08:01 AM

251 posts, read 169,048 times
Let her change the name,
she already told you, She doesnt like the name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting