Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 07:28 PM

93 posts, read 86,905 times

Advertisements

Well, the OP is no longer a member so take that what you will. I do remember in HS a girl named Olga hated it lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 08:58 PM

358 posts, read 711,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylineofhope View Post
She really hasn't shown any signs of wanting to run away, no. I don't think she'd be able to either, her whole life she's gotten everything handed to her on a silver platter and to be frank, I think I'm starting to agree with the people saying I need to be stricter and take her to a therapist whether she likes it or not. I think it's the only way. However, I don't know how productive it's going to be. I'll certainly try though.

My husband and I divorced when she was 8, it was a long time ago, she's turning 16 this month. I'm pretty sure that isn't why. He hasn't been in the picture in a very long time. I mean I hope it has nothing to do with changing her name because re-naming my child Spencer Valeria is something I'm never going to get used to. You're telling me it'd be easy for you to call your child something completely different than what you've been used to?
"she's gotten everything handed to her on a silver platter" = overparenting
"be stricter and take her to a therapist whether she likes it or not = overparenting

Not exactly what I would call a change of course.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:35 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylineofhope View Post
It was my late mother's name; it's short for Eleanore, which she also hates. I'm sorry but I can't just accept calling her something else after I've called her Ellie for the last 15 years. It'll be tough. Plus I've said multiple times that she can use her middle name which is Jessica but she hates that as well. She just wants to completely change her identity and who she is. I can't just accept that willy nilly.
My son is not a fan of his name and a couple years ago came up with a nickname that I gladly began calling him by. No biggie to me, even though I love his real name. But he just didn't want to go by his real name at the time, and I was fine with that.

Pick your battles - forget arguing over a name. But definitely get her the therapy, even if she doesn't want to go.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:33 AM

5,134 posts, read 4,488,293 times
Your daughter's problem is not about wanting a name change. She must know that she can legally change it at 18, so there's no reason for her to threaten suicide for something she'll soon be able to do. There's something else going on. No one who is mentally stable threatens to kill themselves over a name change.

Take her to a therapist as soon as possible. I wouldn't take her to a psychiatrist because they'll probably prescribe meds for her, which I don't think is a good idea for children. But a really good child psychologist or therapist should be able to make some headway with her.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:22 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,792,622 times
Have you enlisted the help of her sister? Do they talk?

What does she think of this situation?

Old 07-21-2016, 11:31 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,067,332 times
Well apparently the OP has not/will not return, so we will never know if we helped in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting