Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2016, 09:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Look, they prompt kids into that suicide crap in school..They spend more time counseling than teaching

Counselors will come to classrooms, and say if you feel like suicide, come talk to us! It will be confidential, no one, not even your parents, will know unless you want them to know. Of course, kids are lined up to go to the counselor. Then, the counselors beam with self-satisfaction, look at all the tragedies they have prevented The counselors are just justifying their jobs, and the kids are getting out of classes. My cousin teaches, she said many kids suddenly have a "crisis" for which they must see the counselor, on test days. Of course, they must let the kid go, otherwise, the school might be responsible!

OP, just ignore the suicide threats. She's not going to commit suicide, anymore than that old ruse about kids holding their breath. Just walk away, isn't that what they used to recommend? Remove the audience? She's just looking for a way to control you.

Please, whatever you do, don't get involved in the psychiatric circus! First, you will be alarmed, and call 911. Once they get there, they will call CPS, who will make your life hell. 911 will ask her if she wants to go to an ER, if she says yes, they will take her, regardless of your wishes. Guess what? YOU get stuck with a bill from Hell----in the thousands! Its considered an ER visit, and YOU pay deductibles, copays, etc. They don't do squat. Some think an all-wise, knowing, competent counselor will have a nice, long chat and discover the real reasons motivating your child's thoughts. Wrong!

Instead, like most ER visits, the kid AND you will sit there for hours. They don't have mental health counselors at the ready in the ER. They call in a counselor, which can take hours. Please, I don't need anyone to accuse me of BS, like so many do. My DS loved playing "suicide", usually the night before a big test or school project he hadn't done. Once we waited in the ER for almost 3 days, that's the God's truth, for a mental health counselor to arrive. When she finally did, she just stayed about 5 minutes, and said something like "you shouldn't do that", then left. Oh, but DS had learned how to play the system. The mental health counselor would, per protocol, ask DS if he still felt like suicide. Of course, he would say yes, then, per law/protocol, he would be transported to a psychiatric facility. The would spend hours, if not days, looking for the first bed available in the state, then, it was OUR responsibility to transport him. Look, we live in Texas, the 2nd largest state in the union (sorry, fellow Texans, Alaska is the largest). They would find a bed in some place hours away, then insist we transport him there, after we were dead with exhaustion from sitting with him in the ER---which they require. We also had another child we couldn't just abandon, so we had to make arrangements for her.

Oh, but we have insurance. So, that means we have copays Many times the copays, for both the ER and psychiatric facility, ran into thousands PER INCIDENT! DS had us all but bankrupt with that crap! Oh, but he needed that care---baloney! They didn't do squat! They just kept him 72 hours, then, by law, they have to release him or come up with a new diagnosis an re-admit, which is a new deductible, etc. He'd come home worse than he went in! Then, CPS takes over, and insists you go to more counseling, which just empowers the kid. We dangled on their string for years, please, OP, don't let this happen to you.

Trust me, she's NOT going to kill herself. She's just trying to make you squirm. I agree, there's something else going on in your child's life, but not what it might seem. She probably got that suicide garbage from school, counselors, and peers who told her how to control her parents.

Other posters, don't bother with flames at me for how I was such a bad parent, I drove my child to suicide, then ignored his pleas for help. We depleted our savings and ruined our credit with all the counseling, psychiatric in-patient and outpatient, drugs, etc. I have no intentions of coming back to this thread, so don't bother with the flames. I just hope the OP doesn't go the route we did. Our kids are now adults and out of the house, and we are trying desperately to re-build our savings and credit so we can retire and not live in poverty.
Um... no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 09:21 PM

757 posts, read 839,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No therapist aims to come to a conclusion that parents are "at fault" or that blaming someone is the answer. If that's what you got out of therapy, that's you not doing the work you're supposed to be doing.
Ha! I was the one in the room. Everyone is an expert about others kids. This particular counselor had and agenda and I think all likely do. But then I think psychology is mostly hokum to provide cover for nonsense. Some people are just so full of themselves and are influenced by all sorts of outside influences that a parent is overwhelmed. Have seen that often enough.

Parents too often get the short end of the stick when it comes to their kids and their troubles.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:54 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,536,679 times
Therapy.
I'd agree to signing off on name change if she spent X amount of time in therapy. I'd consult with counselor first on how many sessions would be minimum and use that number.

And I'd make her pay for the legal work required for the name change...maybe pay for it & let her work it off doing extra chores around house for min wage.... or find out costs and let her do work first.

Suicide real or drama is serious. She is unhappy and therapy could help her develop some better coping skills.

Why doesn't she go with Elle instead of Ellie.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Is she transgender?
Transgender because she wants to be called Spencer? Allison, Courtney, and Vivian were men's names right up into the 70s.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:47 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,258,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Transgender because she wants to be called Spencer? Allison, Courtney, and Vivian were men's names right up into the 70s.
Transgender crossed my mind, too.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:43 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylineofhope View Post
No. She definitely isn't. At least I hope not.
And if s/he was? Would that be an issue for you?

Is she getting a sense that you'd be judgemental if she shared these kinds of things about herself? That will seriously eat someone alive inside.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:26 AM

24 posts, read 33,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Transgender crossed my mind, too.
My daughter definitely isn't transgender. I know her and judging by the clothes she wears and her mannerisms it's highly unlikely she'd want to become male. NOT that I have a problem with it, but she's just not.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:30 AM

24 posts, read 33,004 times
Quote:
Look, they prompt kids into that suicide crap in school..They spend more time counseling than teaching
They do? I really didn't know that... Are you certain that's the case? If so, maybe I should talk to the principal then. But then again my eldest daughter went to the same school as Ellie and she never had any issues with suicide.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:34 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Marylee, IMHO, you are very wrong. A very, very, very small percentage of manipulative and disturbed teens, possibly like your children, take legitimate advice and change it around to cause problems for their parents.

IMHO, 99.9 % of the time it is helpful information to for the teens that really need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylineofhope View Post
They do? I really didn't know that... Are you certain that's the case? If so, maybe I should talk to the principal then. But then again my eldest daughter went to the same school as Ellie and she never had any issues with suicide.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:42 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
BTW, the few times that someone that I knew had a mental health crisis where the police & ambulance were called, they transported the child or adult to a psychiatric facility or a large hospital that had a psych ward with psychiatric staff 24 hours a day.

Taking an out of control teen, threatening to kill themselves with a knife, to a nearby "walk in clinic" or tiny, tiny community hospital like they have a broken leg or a severe fever is, IMHO, not the best method of treatment. While it is better than nothing I can see why a patient may have to wait for a while to see a psychiatrist.

Last edited by germaine2626; 07-03-2016 at 06:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting