Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2017, 06:19 PM

3,862 posts, read 3,158,727 times

Advertisements

Hey, let us know how it works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 06:25 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,148,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Your husband was right, your daughter was being rude for no reason and deserves discipline. She could have answered the question, and if grandma then posed another said, "Sorry, grandma. I have to get ready for school now. Goodnight."

You need to bring her up to snuff, Mom.
I agree with this. Grandma is an elder and she is owed even a one-word response. Your daughter is 8, not a toddler. Not answering her was a definite act of defiance especially once your husband stepped in. Making excuses for her (she didn't get the ice cream she wanted, she was tired after a long night) will only teach her she can be rude if she doesn't always get her way.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:46 PM

37,652 posts, read 46,067,796 times
I believe the child was being rude to not respond to the grandmother, so I would have to take your husband's side. I think he could have handled it in a less aggressive manner, but it needed addressing, for sure.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:47 PM

9,996 posts, read 5,703,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
A shrug is a response.
It's not a response to the question, it's a dismissal of it.

Quote:
I wonder if all the people saying it was disrespectful for the daughter to not give a verbal answer also insist their kids hug and/or kiss a grandparent whenever the grandparent asks.
Darn right we do, as long as the grandparents aren't excessively demanding hugs or kisses or asking for them at inappropriate times or in inappropriate situations. And none of their grandparents have done so, so yeah, they are expected to acknowledge and return the affection they are being shown whether they feel like it or not.

Quote:
Personally, I think it's ok for a kid to say no sometimes. In this case, a shrug may have been a less than gracious way to say "I don't want to talk about the movie right now" than was preferred but I don't consider it disrespectful. But to the extent it was, Granny was equally disrespectful by trying to demand an answer from a kid who clearly wasn't in a mood to talk at that moment. Respect should be a mutual thing and not something that the young are expected only to give and not get.
You speak as if it's a symmetrical relationship. Maybe it is in your family but certainly not in ours. Our children's grandparents have broad discretion to insist our children show them proper respect. This right did not vest from earning my children's respect but from their innate status as familial authority figures and half a century of parenting experience.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:51 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,474,479 times
Yes the daughter was rude. Yes the father over reacted. A tone of hey young one, we respond to inquiries , so maybe you can politely answer your grandma's sincere inquiry? Thank you.

Then maybe let it sink in.

My adult nephew has spent his life being dismissive. He brags about much...And most of us tune him out. He taught us how to treat him.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:54 PM

37,652 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Interesting. So I'm getting that most of you agree that my daughter owed her grandmother the courtesy of answering her, and that to not answer her was misbehavior. I may have to rethink my view then. Last night I remember being fairly adamant that while our daughter was obligated to answer to me or her father, she had no such obligation to grandma, who is merely a guest in our house, and not a member of the household that our daughter is beholden to.
Whoah. Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
But if most of you are thinking that she is obligated to be nice to grandma,
She needs to be respectful - which means, NOT rude. I can't imagine not teaching a child to be respectful to her elders, and CERTAINLY to her grandparents. I'm gobsmacked.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:05 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,908,084 times
I'm gobsmacked too. "A shrug is a response?" a rude one. And not acceptable to someone's grandmother. I can't believe this is even considered an option. I'm as liberal and "modern" as they come, but common decency never goes out of style

Old 02-15-2017, 07:10 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,483,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post

Darn right we do, as long as the grandparents aren't excessively demanding hugs or kisses or asking for them at inappropriate times or in inappropriate situations. And none of their grandparents have done so, so yeah, they are expected to acknowledge and return the affection they are being shown whether they feel like it or not.

Speak for yourself.

Many of us understand that teaching children they must physically "return the affection they are shown, whether they feel like it or not " is a concerning, and potentially dangerous lesson.

Totally different than having good manners or respecting others.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:18 PM

9,996 posts, read 5,703,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Speak for yourself.
Who else did you think I was speaking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Many of us understand that teaching children they must physically "return the affection they are shown, whether they feel like it or not " is a concerning, and potentially dangerous lesson.

Totally different than having good manners or respecting others.
Exactly what is dangerous and concerning about hugging your grandparents back when they hug you?

Last edited by Bitey; 02-15-2017 at 07:38 PM..

Old 02-15-2017, 07:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,483,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Exactly what is dangerous and concerning about hugging your grandparents back when they hug you?
That wasn't what was said and you know it.

Being forced to hug and/or kiss someone you don't feel comfortable with or when you are not feeling comfortable in the situation teaches children to ignore their instincts and reinforces that there are people who are allowed to touch you in ways that don't make you feel good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting