Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 05:13 PM

926 posts, read 674,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So why exactly is your anecdotal evidence any more valuable and believable than anyone else's?
I never said that my opinion about this topic or that my own personal experiences with the paranormal (as well as reading hundreds of documented cases and hearing personal accounts from other people) are 'more valuable' and 'more believable' than anybody else's on here.

To each his/her own. Each of us will believe what we want to believe. Our experiences in life shapes our opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 05:23 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
I never said that my opinion about this topic or that my own personal experiences with the paranormal (as well as reading hundreds of documented cases and hearing personal accounts from other people) are 'more valuable' and 'more believable' than anybody else's on here.

To each his/her own. Each of us will believe what we want to believe. Our experiences in life shapes our opinions.
You belittle and roll your eyes at other posters who's experiences and beliefs differ from yours. It's no better than them calling your beliefs nonsense. I don't care if you don't want a Ouija board in your home or disallow your children from using it, but don't call me naive and ignorant if, based on my experience, I think it's harmless.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:17 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
It's good to read the last few recent posts from people who have had negative and frightening experiences while using a Ouija board because it shows the other people on here that this method of spiritual divination is NOT just an 'innocent' and 'harmless' "game".
Except it shows no such thing at all. Rather it shows the effects of the narrative people have on it.

I keep telling you - in the posts that you insist on simply dodging and ignoring - that there _are things_ going on with this game. It is not for no reason at all it freaks people out.

The difference between your nonsense and my posts however is that I know what is going on - I know and have studied the effects in question - and I know how to transfer them on to other things.

Which is why I was not just able to play this game with my daugther and her friends - but I was able to reproduce the floating living table trick too.

And then - rather than pedal ignorance and fear as a way of life to those children as you do - I was able to explain to them what was going on - teach them some very reason science - and immunise them against future ignorance fear and trickery of the same sort.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:53 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Ouija boards were huge when I was a small child, and although we never had one, I played with them at friends homes when I was under 10 years old.

The funniest part was to flatten your fingers out and bear down, and watch your friend's fingernails go white trying to push the pointer where they wanted it to go. ;D Because yeah, it was like playing Marco Polo. NO ONE has their eyes closed when they play that, and when kids play with Ouija boards, and the pointer moves, it's because one of them is pushing it around. So there's that.

The concern I have is this is a 15 year old kid. That's beyond playing with a toy, they're experimenting with the occult.

I'm not comfortable with it.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:39 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times
No, it would not bother me. A Ouija board is a silly game. At 15 they could be experimenting with drugs, alcohol, guns, or each other.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:47 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
I don't really care one way or another, I am fairly skeptical and not religious. I'll believe when my own experiences give me reason to, which they have not. And even then, I won't be assuming I know why something spooky happens. A noise in the house doesn't mean it's a human spirit, a demon, let alone some specific entity. I think humans are unspeakably presumptuous in our protestations to understand mysterious things.

But I'll say this about kids and things like Ouija boards. Probably the quickest way to make your kids fascinated and want to experiment with one, is to be scared of it. Act like it's a big deal. The lure of the taboo is strong in children. If I actually wanted my kids to NOT play with such a thing, I would raise them to think it's boring and stupid and they probably wouldn't, because they wouldn't care. Inadvertently, I have done exactly that. I wouldn't care if they wanted to...but they don't want to. They have more interesting things to do than pretend to summon spirits with a few pieces of cardboard.

Oh, but I got some Ouija patterned socks at Spirit Halloween, though. They're cool. I joke that I can summon the dead with my stinky feet.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:43 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
I’m not religious but I am superstitious and I believe in spirits, at the least. I have had experiences I can’t easily explain and so have others I know and trust. I would not feel comfortable with an ouija board personally but to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting