Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 06:08 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Nope.

My mom bought me one when I was in elementary school, actually.

My kids never showed interest in one, but I think they're harmless fun.

This probably depends heavily on how religious a person is and I'm agnostic, so...

This.

And we went to Sunday school every week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 06:10 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
As a person who knows that orbs, ghosts, spirits (elemental, benevolent & malevolent), demons and other types of entities from different planes of existence are real and actually do exist - and as someone who (unfortunately) has had some very creepy experiences, I would advise anyone who comes into contact with a Ouija board or knows someone who has one and asks them if they want to 'play' for them to absolutely NOT participate in this 'game' or in ANY type of seance or situation that is attempting to communicate or summon spirits/ghosts.

Anything and any object can become a vessel through which a portal can be created between our plane of existence and to that of other higher (and lower) planes. Some of the time, a person who attempts to communicate with a spirit ends up attracting the specific spirit it was inquiring about, which is usually a good thing, if the spirit is a benevolent entity.

Other times, however....a person who is calling out to any 'generic' spirit or even to a specific spirit they want to inquire about may unknowingly (or ignorantly) attract a spirit who will pretend to be the specific spirit the person is asking about or it'll pretend to be an amiable spirit just so it can gain the person's 'trust' and, eventually, it will gain entry into our higher level plane - and, once that happens, let's just say that it's going to be very difficult to convince it to just go away. This is as far as I'm going with talking about this.

This is a serious WARNING to anyone out there who thinks this is 'just a board game' and to anyone who is thinking about using a Ouija board (or ANY OTHER form of divination) - DON'T DO IT.

DON'T put your mental and spiritual (and sometimes your physical) well-being at POSSIBLE RISK.

Seriously though, it's just NOT worth it. No matter how naive a person is about this...no matter how skeptical they are about it...and no matter how much they don't believe in the supernatural or paranormal, them dabbling in invoked spiritual situations (even those done in jest or out of innocent natural curiosity) could render them helpless in a nightmarish and super frightening reality that involves the spirit that they communicated with not wanting to go away and, instead, wanting to attach itself to the person who summoned them. This could be annoying and creepy at its best - or horrifying and helpless at its worst...
^^^ Ridiculous.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:55 PM

926 posts, read 674,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
^^^ Ridiculous.
I knew it wouldn't take long lol.

You're more than entitled to your opinion, "ccc123".

In fact, I almost wish you would use a Ouija board (mean, I know ) so you could experience all the fun and joy firsthand you know, the stuff I was referring to in my initial post on this thread!

Old 11-01-2017, 07:53 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,486,449 times
Quote:
As a person who knows that orbs, ghosts, spirits (elemental, benevolent & malevolent), demons and other types of entities from different planes of existence are real and actually do exist - and as someone who (unfortunately) has had some very creepy experiences, I would advise anyone who comes into contact with a Ouija board or knows someone who has one and asks them if they want to 'play' for them to absolutely NOT participate in this 'game' or in ANY type of seance or situation that is attempting to communicate or summon spirits/ghosts.
Sometimes, it's hard to believe that members of the human species have actually walked in the moon...

Old 11-01-2017, 11:25 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,546 times
Quote:

In fact, I almost wish you would use a Ouija board (mean, I know ) so you could experience all the fun and joy firsthand you know, the stuff I was referring to in my initial post on this thread!
My friends and I played with that game all the time when we were teenagers, it's a piece of wood with painted numbers and letters on it. The only thing that ever happened was what we made happen. The whole thing is ridiculous.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:17 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,767 times
It is a good thought experiment and excercise to use this "game" with children. They can learn a lot from it. I have done so with my daughter (now 7) and then explained to her the physics and biology behind the effects she observed.

Then I repeated
_this_ little experiment with her and some of her friends. It worked a charm. She was able to explain to them later on what it was and how it worked.

They were massively impressed and receptive to then being educated on the physics and biology behind it. Whereas if you just sit children down and say "I am going to teach you some biology now" their eyes cross in boredom.

Things that engage children with learning - and excite their minds and curiosity for an explanation of something they just observed - is always a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
However, a word of caution. It is dangerous.
No. It really is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
People have scary experiences to scare them away. It is usually not demonic, it is someone letting them know to stay away, a warning.
It is neither. It is an autonomic response created by the bodies of the people involved and nothing more.

Quote:
As a person who knows that orbs, ghosts, spirits (elemental, benevolent & malevolent), demons and other types of entities from different planes of existence are real and actually do exist
Let me guess - just from personal experience - but the totality of the evidence you can offer for this claim is going to be from personal experience that you can not actually show us - and nothing more? Right? Like everyone else who espouses this nonsense at us.

Quote:
As I said above - I have done. The thing is that I not only experienced the "fun" with my child - but I was able to explain to them the actual causes of that "fun" too. And it was very education for her.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:49 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times
Quote:

I used a Ouija board at just about every slumber party I went to as a kid and we also tried to have seances. Absolutely nothing ever happened.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:08 PM

926 posts, read 674,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I used a Ouija board at just about every slumber party I went to as a kid and we also tried to have seances. Absolutely nothing ever happened.
Um, just because something has never happened to you, it doesn't mean that it hasn't happened to other people. So, what you're saying is that every single person (me included) who has ever had a horrible experience with a Ouija board (or with other devices of spiritual divination) are liars or are people who just 'imagined' it. Yeah. Okay.

For those of you who think what I had to say about this is 'nonsense', then so be it. My personal (and very frightening) experiences with divination and the paranormal is enough for me to be wise enough to stay away from things like that.

I don't have to have 'proof' or evidence to prove what I'm saying is true - all I do is try to warn people about it whenever the subject comes up - and that's it. If people don't want to heed my warning, if they honestly think that this is all just a bunch of crap and that spiritual divination is completely 'harmless' for their children to engage in, then let them have at it.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:54 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,767 times
Quote:
Um, just because something has never happened to you, it doesn't mean that it hasn't happened to other people. So, what you're saying is that every single person (me included) who has ever had a horrible experience with a Ouija board (or with other devices of spiritual divination) are liars or are people who just 'imagined' it. Yeah. Okay.
I do not see the user saying that anywhere in their post. You appear to have decided to make things up and then pretend other people have said them. Which is not big - or clever.

I am not seeing anyone here claim it is _all_ imagination either. In fact had you bothered reading my post rather than simply ignoring it you will find I mentioned that there are very real physical and biological reasons behind some of the things that happen with a Ouija Board. Things we understand quite well in science.

So that means it is not "just imagined". There are very real things in play there that no one is imagining. Where imagination comes into it is when people build stories and explanations around what they actually did experience. The experience itself is not imaginary however. Just the narrative they invent for it after the fact.

Quote:
if they honestly think that this is all just a bunch of crap and that spiritual divination is completely 'harmless' for their children to engage in, then let them have at it.
It is not only harmless - it is educational. It is not "just a bunch of crap". There are very real things going on there that can be very educational and informative. When I used this "board" - and then later on the floating table trick - with my daughter and her friends it captured their attention and imagination.

And then having captured their attention and imagination - they were very receptive to learning and explanation and education. The things they learned from me will stay with them forever.

Which is a much better result than screaming warnings at them and getting them to run away. Because then you are spreading something worse than "warnings" to children. You are spreading a culture of ignorance and fear to them too. And that _is_ harmful for all your pretence of it being well meant.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:14 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
IF they did not let me play with them it would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting