Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2017, 04:19 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Utter nonsense. Stop projecting.

My lack of belief in God is no different than my lack of belief in Zeus or Odin or leprechauns - it is born of a complete and total lack of evidence. If you think lacking an affirmative belief is faith, then you haven't the foggiest idea what constitutes faith.

And my lack of belief that a Ouija board is something 'bad' is no different that my lack of belief that dowsing works, or that alchemists exist and that they can transmute ordinary metals to precious ones, or that sacrificing a chicken can effect events. And that's certainly not faith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Right, an agnostic. Got it.
Both an atheist and an agnostic, though I imagine this confuses you because you - wrongly - think that they are mutually exclusive.

Quote:
Definition of atheism
1 a : a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods
b : a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods
2 archaic : godlessness especially in conduct : ungodliness, wickedness
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atheism

I lack belief in deities. Thus, I am an atheist.

Quote:
Definition of agnostic
1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (such as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
2 : a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something political agnostics
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/agnostic

In the strictest sense, negatives cannot be proven, thus we cannot truly know that deities do not exist - just like we cannot, in the same strictest sense, know that Bigfoot and leprechauns and Darth Vader do not exist. Thus I am an agnostic. This does not in the slightest conflict with my atheism. But then, I use the actual definitions of words instead of making up my own.

Quote:
No one is a 'Leprechaun Athiest'.
Correct - because no one is so emotionally vested in the idea of leprechauns that, even though they are inclined to see the affirmative claim thereof as vacuous, they are emotionally unable to let go of it. This is not at all true of a great many people who just can't quite let go of the idea of a deity.

Thanks for unwittingly making my point.

Quote:
An agnostic says "show me proof, then I'll have faith".

An atheist says "I have faith that there is no proof, there can't be proof because it isn't real, your proof means nothing".
You can make up your own definitions of words if you like, but here in the real world discourse works to much better if you use the actual definitions. That happens to have the added virtue that it's not ragingly self-absorbed.

Quote:
You know, like the people who have faith in the non-existence of actual events like the Holocaust or the Moon landings.
Ah, yes - not believing in the Quetzalcoatl, the feathered bird-serpent of the Aztecs, is just like being a Holocaust denier.

You do not appear to comprehend the difference between declining to believe in claims which are bereft of affirmative evidence (like God or Zeus or Odin) and declining to believe in claims which are massively and abundantly supported by evidence (like the Holocaust).

Thanks again. You have unintentionally put your - ahem, 'logic' - in exceptionally apt context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 04:38 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,071,686 times
[quote=Ms. Tarabotti;47387983]It's all fun and games until the dead people show up. [/QUOTE

Or when your possessed husband drags you and your kids up into a deserted hotel in the snowy mountains and starts chasing you around with an ax. Toss it in the trash before you become the next episode on the Investigation Discovery channel !!!!!!

Old 03-26-2017, 10:34 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,778,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
Mercifully, I was able to harness the spirit of my dear extraterrestrial friend, Dudley Manlove, to determine what course of action to take. https://youtu.be/gK4olkFGJrw

Together, we were able to invert the organisms back to the fifth dimension using the four-dimensional spacetime metric system.

Only one problem remains! I failed to notice an egg buried deep beneath what is left of my beloved Frangipani bushes, and sometime during the night the thing hatched. Now I must find a responsible person to provide a good home for this adorable baby reptile. I named him Bubbles. https://youtu.be/UGv7gMxDna8
Oh, MY! Your friend may be the most aptly-named person to have ever lived. That aside, I'm glad his advice was spot-on. Did he come up with this, himself, or did he go behind those divoon J. C. Penny pinch-pleat curtains in the space ship, and consult with a bank of blinking lights like they've all got, someplace or other?

But now, semiprecious, I have news you might not like. From the body language displayed in your cell phone video, it's clear to me that Baby Bubbles has been IMPRINTED on you. Just like when one of my Polish Frizzle Chickens breaks through its shell, and first thing it sees, is me peering down at it, thereby getting the notion that I'm its mama, that baby reptile thinks of you as its protector and lifelong companion. And I don't need to tell you what happens when you get one of those creatures ticked-off. They want things THEIR WAY, or else.

And so, you two are bonded FOR LIFE. The best thing you can do, is run off and join the circus together. Or, better yet, Bubbles can use his talent on TELEVISION. I can imagine Bubbles in the foreground, as: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezvPBINJcAY

Old 03-28-2017, 11:47 AM

32,665 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Ouija Board? Upset? Why? Sorry, I am mystified why this would bother anyone.

No child could bring a creature across from the never-never. The creatures from the other side can't live over here and they are most unlikely to be interested in trying to communicate with a bunch of silly children. How would they communicate, anyway since they wouldn't be English speakers with a good talent for spelling and grammar in a language they don't speak.

All that happens is the kids have fun with it. Discover that it doesn't really work like they thought it would, and it goes into the back of the closet. Nothing learned, nothing gained, nothing lost.

Will a modern child even play with a Ouija board of it isn't an ap on their smart phone?

Old 03-28-2017, 11:51 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Ouija Board? Upset? Why? Sorry, I am mystified why this would bother anyone.

No child could bring a creature across from the never-never. The creatures from the other side can't live over here and they are most unlikely to be interested in trying to communicate with a bunch of silly children. How would they communicate, anyway since they wouldn't be English speakers with a good talent for spelling and grammar in a language they don't speak.

All that happens is the kids have fun with it. Discover that it doesn't really work like they thought it would, and it goes into the back of the closet. Nothing learned, nothing gained, nothing lost.

Will a modern child even play with a Ouija board of it isn't an ap on their smart phone?

Duh, we know how to communicate with the other side. You string Christmas lights up in your living room with a bulb hanging over each letter of the alphabet so they can spell out their message. Or maybe this just works when they're in the upside down?

Old 03-28-2017, 12:11 PM

32,665 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
..........But the Harm comes when NO ONE {for real} is pushing it. .........
If the planchette was capable of moving when NO ONE {for real} is pushing it, then it would move on it's own with no one touching it. It never does.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 03-28-2017 at 12:42 PM..

Old 03-28-2017, 01:13 PM

560 posts, read 787,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Oh, MY! Your friend may be the most aptly-named person to have ever lived. That aside, I'm glad his advice was spot-on. Did he come up with this, himself, or did he go behind those divoon J. C. Penny pinch-pleat curtains in the space ship, and consult with a bank of blinking lights like they've all got, someplace or other?

But now, semiprecious, I have news you might not like. From the body language displayed in your cell phone video, it's clear to me that Baby Bubbles has been IMPRINTED on you. Just like when one of my Polish Frizzle Chickens breaks through its shell, and first thing it sees, is me peering down at it, thereby getting the notion that I'm its mama, that baby reptile thinks of you as its protector and lifelong companion. And I don't need to tell you what happens when you get one of those creatures ticked-off. They want things THEIR WAY, or else.

And so, you two are bonded FOR LIFE. The best thing you can do, is run off and join the circus together. Or, better yet, Bubbles can use his talent on TELEVISION. I can imagine Bubbles in the foreground, as:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezvPBINJcAY
Thank you! Have to give Ed Wood all the credit for the sumptuous extraterrestrial trappings. Oh! This just came in from my fifth dimensional friend, Dudley Manlove! https://youtu.be/XhvDMhrws1o

Whew! Everything we need to know about atoms-right before our very eyes. And to think I very nearly threw that old Ouija Board away! Come on everyone! We have to harness those teeny tiny sun particles so let's get those solar panels up and running!

You know, I think you're right about my little Baby Bubbles. He has become inordinately attached to me. But, what a joy he is—jumping around with joy when I come home at night! Fat, scaly little body bouncing up and down. He fits right in with my Siamese Cats, Afghan Hounds, and collection of screaming goats. My only concern is that several of my screaming goats have simply vanished! https://youtu.be/nlYlNF30bVg So, while Baby Bubbles is squealing to the music of Lawrence Welk, I'll seek the whereabouts of the goats using my newly rejuvenated Ouija Board.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:18 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,546 times
I wish the Ouija board would tell a moderator to close this thread!!

Old 10-31-2017, 08:29 AM

50 posts, read 37,543 times
I have had friends give me Ouija boards because they are terrified of them but I can keep them because I'am a real witch and I also have a huge library of occult and witchcraft books among my other books like horror novels.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:52 PM

926 posts, read 674,206 times
As a person who knows that orbs, ghosts, spirits (elemental, benevolent & malevolent), demons and other types of entities from different planes of existence are real and actually do exist - and as someone who (unfortunately) has had some very creepy experiences, I would advise anyone who comes into contact with a Ouija board or knows someone who has one and asks them if they want to 'play' for them to absolutely NOT participate in this 'game' or in ANY type of seance or situation that is attempting to communicate or summon spirits/ghosts.

Anything and any object can become a vessel through which a portal can be created between our plane of existence and to that of other higher (and lower) planes. Some of the time, a person who attempts to communicate with a spirit ends up attracting the specific spirit it was inquiring about, which is usually a good thing, if the spirit is a benevolent entity.

Other times, however....a person who is calling out to any 'generic' spirit or even to a specific spirit they want to inquire about may unknowingly (or ignorantly) attract a spirit who will pretend to be the specific spirit the person is asking about or it'll pretend to be an amiable spirit just so it can gain the person's 'trust' and, eventually, it will gain entry into our higher level plane - and, once that happens, let's just say that it's going to be very difficult to convince it to just go away. This is as far as I'm going with talking about this.

This is a serious WARNING to anyone out there who thinks this is 'just a board game' and to anyone who is thinking about using a Ouija board (or ANY OTHER form of divination) - DON'T DO IT.

DON'T put your mental and spiritual (and sometimes your physical) well-being at POSSIBLE RISK.

Seriously though, it's just NOT worth it. No matter how naive a person is about this...no matter how skeptical they are about it...and no matter how much they don't believe in the supernatural or paranormal, them dabbling in invoked spiritual situations (even those done in jest or out of innocent natural curiosity) could render them helpless in a nightmarish and super frightening reality that involves the spirit that they communicated with not wanting to go away and, instead, wanting to attach itself to the person who summoned them. This could be annoying and creepy at its best - or horrifying and helpless at its worst...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting