Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 12:23 PM

171 posts, read 165,633 times

Advertisements

None! I never wanted any even when I was a kid, and the older I get, the more I'm glad I don't have children. I wouldn't even date or marry a guy who had his own kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 05:40 AM

1 posts, read 436 times
I wanted two children, a boy and a girl. It is perfect. Well, now I have them.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:59 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
None.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:13 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times
None.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:16 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
One. Growing up I always thought the single children had the best lifestyle of all.

But we had twins first up. Then we just kinda felt like having more. Although the fifth one was unexpected, but we sure would have missed out if we had not had him.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:59 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
One. Growing up I always thought the single children had the best lifestyle of all.
I'm an only child, and I hated my childhood. It was so lonely! My family wasn't big on playing with me, not even tossing a football in the backyard or playing board games in the kitchen. Most of the time, I had to find ways to entertain myself, if my friends weren't available. Now, other than a couple of years during middle school, I did have good friends. But it wasn't the same in the slightest! At home, I was still lonely. Until age 10 or so, I begged and pleaded my parents to have another child, so I can live with someone who's an equal, not an authority figure. But they didn't budge. Even now, I don't know if I'm better off or worse off for it.

One blessing in disguise was the huge amounts of homework in middle school. Plus, my parents made me do all the extra credit assignments. (What can I say: they got used to my good grades in early elementary school, and wouldn't accept anything less.) So at least on weeknights, I was too busy to be bored/lonely. Although if I had a younger sibling, they'd probably be too busy caring for him/her to focus so heavily on my grades.

TL;DR version: Being only child was/is an unpleasant experience. Heavy homework load acted as a distraction, though.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:49 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
None. Even in my early twenties, after I'd been married, I didn't like them or want any at all. Being around other people's infants and small children really irritated me, especially when their grandmothers or mothers would assume I'd like nothing better than to hold, change, or help take care of them...no thanks.

I even had DH investigate getting a vasectomy. Luckily, we didn't follow through. When we'd been married five years, I got pregnant by accident. I wasn't happy at all about it, but an abortion was out of the question. I thought it would be different after I gave birth, but it wasn't. I just didn't feel anything for her. Until she was two months old...and she made eye contact and smiled. I can't describe the feeling...it was like a pain in my chest. That was when I first started to REALLY love her. After that, I just couldn't get enough of her. We went on to have another daughter. And now, oldest is the mother of two wonderful little boys who I spend lots of time babysitting, playing with, teaching, and spoiling. I tell everyone I have two girls, AND two boys.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:35 AM

7 posts, read 6,305 times
I have always wanted for 2-3 only and it happened :-)

Old 11-05-2017, 09:52 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Zero. I had one natural born and one adopted.

My older son wanted 8 kids before they had their first. He and his wife were more than happy to call it quits at that point.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 904 times
Two - one boy and one girl.
I have none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting