Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 04:28 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,039,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
She sees us twice a week for less than a minute. As an example tomorrow i have to get some blood tests done at the hospital Wife and i are then going out for breakfast at a restaurant right across the street from her apartment,we asked her to join us at about 8:30 her response was its too early.
When I was in my early 20s, I would have said the same thing about someone who wanted to plan a get together that early. I am not an early person, so unless it was necessary there is no way I would have gotten up at 7:30am

Since breakfast is too early, did you ask if she would maybe want to do lunch instead?

Quote:
I wonder if some of the responders to this topic actually have kids as in my case i've loved these kids for 20+years now all of a sudden i am expected to say goodby to the kids and stop loving them because they've moved away from home and got jobs? sorry but im not wired that way.
I dont know if they all have adult children, but I'm guessing they've all been 20 something year olds and know what it's like to be out on your own. No one is saying to stop loving her (that's weird to think), but didnt you raise your children knowing that one day they were going to eventually move out? When you were your daughter's age, how much time did you actually spend with your parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 04:38 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,181,230 times
Quote:
She sees us twice a week for less than a minute. As an example tomorrow i have to get some blood tests done at the hospital Wife and i are then going out for breakfast at a restaurant right across the street from her apartment,we asked her to join us at about 8;30 her response was its too early.
I wonder if some of the responders to this topic actually have kids as in my case i've loved these kids for 20+years now all of a sudden i am expected to say goodby to the kids and stop loving them because they've moved away from home and got jobs? sorry but im not wired that way.
You DO remind me of my ex somewhat, he has problems maintaining a relationship with our daughter basically because he insist that the relationship is on his terms. No matter how many times she (and I) tell him that she is a night owl and not a morning person he will insist on calling before 10 AM, if she goes to visit him he wakes her at 8 AM so she can eat breakfast with them, then he gets mad because she never answers his calls or wants to go visit him.
Not saying this is you but maybe something to ponder? Are you considering her lifestyle when you ask her to spend time with you? HAVE you tried to ask her when would be a good time to get together and chase it to a conclusion?

Old 06-20-2017, 05:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You DO remind me of my ex somewhat, he has problems maintaining a relationship with our daughter basically because he insist that the relationship is on his terms. No matter how many times she (and I) tell him that she is a night owl and not a morning person he will insist on calling before 10 AM, if she goes to visit him he wakes her at 8 AM so she can eat breakfast with them, then he gets mad because she never answers his calls or wants to go visit him.
Not saying this is you but maybe something to ponder? Are you considering her lifestyle when you ask her to spend time with you? HAVE you tried to ask her when would be a good time to get together and chase it to a conclusion?
Remove out of the equation for a moment this is the OP's daughter. It's a sibling or a long time friend. You only see them because they need use of your car. Every time you suggest they stay for a visit or go out for a meal they can't, they only come for the car. Can't even sit down and have a cup of coffee with you, and if you didn't have this car, you wouldn't see them at all.

How would that make you feel? I would feel "used".

Old 06-20-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Remove out of the equation for a moment this is the OP's daughter. It's a sibling or a long time friend. You only see them because they need use of your car. Every time you suggest they stay for a visit or go out for a meal they can't, they only come for the car. Can't even sit down and have a cup of coffee with you, and if you didn't have this car, you wouldn't see them at all.

How would that make you feel? I would feel "used".
Yeah, I get that, but I also feel like because it is the daughter the OP feels like she 'owes' them and those sorts of feelings make good relationships difficult. That's why I think he should sell or give her the car and take that out of the equation entirely. She's not blameless but I don't think he is either. He wants more than she is willing to give, both of them need to compromise but is he willing to meet her halfway, do things on her time frame?

Old 06-20-2017, 05:50 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times
We arent forcing her to take the car we are offering it to her as a convenience over an hour and a half on public transit its her choice to accept or reject the offer.
While i realize she now has a life of her own and i'm very happy shes happy with it ,is it too much to ask that once in a while she remembers Mom and Dad and returns a bit of the love we gave her for most of her life.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
We arent forcing her to take the car we are offering it to her as a convenience over an hour and a half on public transit its her choice to accept or reject the offer.
While i realize she now has a life of her own and i'm very happy shes happy with it ,is it too much to ask that once in a while she remembers Mom and Dad and returns a bit of the love we gave her for most of her life.
Nobody is saying you are forcing her to take the car, but are you maybe using it as a way of making sure she stays in contact of some sort? Do you feel like she would come over at all if the car wasn't an incentive for her?

The use of the car shouldn't be the main issue, but it feels like it's being used that way.
I think what I'm trying to say is that the only relationship you seem to have with your daughter is based on the car, and that you would rather have that unsatisfying relationship than chance no relationship at all. I think you should make it not about the car, take a chance and see where the relationship stands without that connection and go from there.

Last edited by DubbleT; 06-20-2017 at 06:08 PM..

Old 06-20-2017, 07:10 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,975,978 times
Quote:
She sees us twice a week for less than a minute. As an example tomorrow i have to get some blood tests done at the hospital Wife and i are then going out for breakfast at a restaurant right across the street from her apartment,we asked her to join us at about 8;30 her response was its too early.
My kids are all 20 somethings. I don't expect( and certainly don't require) to see them often, and look upon it as a pleasant surprise when I do. They are adults, living their own lives. I'm an adult, living mine. I haven't stopped loving them, and I haven't said goodbye to them. I am merely recognizing that they have jobs, SOs, and friends that keep them busy.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,198,006 times
Quote:
She certainly could take a few minutes to chat with you when she gets the car, but no one said you are expected to stop loving her. Stop being so dramatic.

Admittedly, I am at least 7 years away from having an empty nest, so I don't know what it feels like. I'm sure it is a difficult transition, but what did you think was going to happen? We have 18 years to mentally and emotionally prepare for this. I don't understand why some people get so forlorn over the normal progression of life. Not just you. There have been others lately.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:48 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,279,155 times
Quote:
You don't have to stop loving them. You just need to let go. You raise kids with the goal of them leaving the nest. I'm betting when she is a little older she will come around but for now you need to not harass her about spending time with you.

I mentioned it in another post, but it was REALLY stressful to me when my dad kept complaining that I wasn't spending enough time with them. I loved them with all my heart, but I was so busy with my own life. Him trying to make me feel bad didn't make me want to spend more time with them; it made spending time with them feel like an obligation.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:27 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,882,803 times
Have you seriously asked them wtf?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting