Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 03:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Sometimes the accommodations the school is able to make aren't enough for the parent to feel like the child will be safe there.

About ten percent of kids with food allergies are homeschooled, and that wouldn't include food allergy kids who are attending online public school. I know we have some at my kids' school because this year during state testing we had to pack lunches but were not allowed to bring peanuts or tree nuts (not a problem at all in my house ) I had sunflower butter but my kids didn't want to take anything that even looked like peanut butter because they didn't want to cause the allergic student any anxiety.

This year my daughter was diagnosed with a heat allergy that she has to carry an epi pen for. While we were waiting for the doctor to fill out the prescription, my daughter was sitting there laughing a little bit. I asked what was funny and she said she had just realized that no matter how much she bummed off on her schoolwork, I wouldn't be able to send her back to a brick and mortar school because they wouldn't be able to manage the heat allergy well enough.
That is the choice of the parents. The school had to try, and if the parents were comfortable, the kid could go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 04:47 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Not true. Public schools have to take everyone. Everyone. That means everyone. Quit making stuff up.
No, you're painting with too broad a bush. Children are guaranteed an education. They are not guaranteed the right to attend a typical classroom, no matter what. Most can be reasonably accommodated, but some can not. There are provisions for such children:

Quote:

Under IDEA, students with disabilities are entitled to receive special educational services through their local school district from age 3 to age 18 or 21. Depending on the students' individual needs, they may be included, mainstreamed, or placed in a special school.

If the student has a very severe health condition or is not able to attend school for some other reason, he or she will receive instruction at home. A special education teacher, staff and related service providers go to the student's home to deliver instruction.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No, you're painting with too broad a bush. Children are guaranteed an education. They are not guaranteed the right to attend a typical classroom, no matter what. Most can be reasonably accommodated, but some can not. There are provisions for such children:
I ask again, what kind of school and with what kids?

Old 08-01-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I ask again, what kind of school and with what kids?
Oh, for goodness sake. Have you never heard of special education schools? Do you really think that a typical public school classroom is the best and only option for children with severe health issues (such as immune system deficiency) or severe mental disabilities, or severe psychological problems? There is no one-size-fits-all.

Quote:
For some children, full-time placement in a special education classroom with specifically trained staff, adaptive equipment and specialized learning materials might best meet the needs of the child. For other children, bringing speech or occupational therapy into a general education classroom might be more appropriate.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Oh, for goodness sake. Have you never heard of special education schools? Do you really think that a typical public school classroom is the best and only option for children with severe health issues (such as immune system deficiency) or severe mental disabilities, or severe psychological problems? There is no one-size-fits-all.
Oh for goodness sake. You want to put a child of average, or even high intelligence in a special ed school because they have a peanut allergy? What would be different about asking those kids not to bring peanuts to school?

There are extreme cases. I'm thinking of the schizophrenic girl who has been on TLC specials. She went to school after everyone else was gone for the day because she was a danger to them. That is an extreme case. Even most special ed kids are in mainstream classrooms.

We're not talking about someone who can't mentally or emotionally handle regular school. Any option I can think of - a 1:1 teacher child ratio, either in school or at home, would be prohibitively expensive, when banning nuts is free. Schools are not rolling in the money.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Oh for goodness sake. You want to put a child of average, or even high intelligence in a special ed school because they have a peanut allergy? What would be different about asking those kids not to bring peanuts to school?
NO, I did not say that. Stop putting words in my mouth. I have stated several times that I find it completely reasonable for a school to be peanut-free, but hypothetically, if a child's allergy were to be so severe that it would be dangerous for him or her ever to be around people who might have consumed peanuts at home, then the public school classroom can not be made a safe place for that child. A school can not require (or enforce) that all its students never eat peanuts. In the hypothetical case of such a severe allergy, as in the hypothetical case of a child whose immune system is so compromised that the common cold could kill them, then it is unreasonable to demand that somehow the public school on the corner perform the impossible task of guaranteeing that the child will never come into contact with the dangerous substance. That is where the options of online public schooling OR a teacher who comes to the house to educate the child might come in.

My statements about special education were in response to your insistence that public schools must accommodate "everyone, everyone, EVERYONE," including all children with special needs. They can not do that without resorting to means other than the standard classroom.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
NO, I did not say that. Stop putting words in my mouth. I have stated several times that I find it completely reasonable for a school to be peanut-free, but hypothetically, if a child's allergy were to be so severe that it would be dangerous for him or her ever to be around people who might have consumed peanuts at home, then the public school classroom can not be made a safe place for that child. A school can not require (or enforce) that all its students never eat peanuts. In the hypothetical case of such a severe allergy, as in the hypothetical case of a child whose immune system is so compromised that the common cold could kill them, then it is unreasonable to demand that somehow the public school on the corner perform the impossible task of guaranteeing that the child will never come into contact with the dangerous substance. That is where the options of online public schooling OR a teacher who comes to the house to educate the child might come in.

My statements about special education were in response to your insistence that public schools must accommodate "everyone, everyone, EVERYONE," including all children with special needs. They can not do that without resorting to means other than the standard classroom.
I am asking, specifically whatsnext, what she envisions for these severely allergic kids. She seems to think they shouldn't be in a regular classroom. I'm asking to follow that thought out to the end.

We've established that it is rare, therefore, there unlikely to be many kids in one area.

She wants them out of the regular classroom/school so as not to inconvenience other families.

The kid(s) have a right to a public education.

I am asking how, where, and with whom.

Special ed school? No, not for a non-SPED kid. Plus, the special ed kids couldn't bring peanuts, so what would be the point?

Homeschool? Not for a family where both parents work, or the parent is single, or just plain doesn't want to homeschool.

Special school for kids with peanut allergies? Probably not enough kids to do that.

1:1 student-teacher ratio? Too expensive, not to mention socially isolating for the kid.

What is the solution, if not classroom nut bans? Saying "they shouldn't be at school" is not enough. Where should they be?

Old 08-01-2017, 06:12 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,511 times
Quote:

My grand son wasent much of a talker. One day my daughter got a letter from the school stating that they wanted to put him in s special ed class to help combat his ADD as they say. Well at home and among people he knows you cant shut the kid up. He is just somewhat shy.
After a while the school pretty much demanded that he go to the class and demanded that the parents show up for a meeting to discus it. My daughter and her husband both work long hours so I went in their place.
The school was small and had about 300 students. On the desk of the woman conducting the meeting was about 250 folders of the kids in the school. I asked her what the folders were for and was told that they were the kids in the school with learning disabilities. 250 in 300 ???
The second thing that she did was shove a stack of papers in front of me and wanted me to sign them. I said id take a look at them but she wanted we to sign them right away. I said no and took them with me. She got very angry. The papers were a declaration that I agreed with their assessment that my grand son had learning disabilities.
I did some searching and found that the school got money and goods from the government for each special ed kid so they were trying to maximize their revenues by designating kids disabled.
We took all her kids out of school after that and started homeschooling them. Best thing we ever did for them.
Do people really want their kids to be labeled as disabled?

Old 08-01-2017, 06:15 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,511 times
Quote:
I am asking, specifically whatsnext, what she envisions for these severely allergic kids. She seems to think they shouldn't be in a regular classroom. I'm asking to follow that thought out to the end.

We've established that it is rare, therefore, there unlikely to be many kids in one area.

She wants them out of the regular classroom/school so as not to inconvenience other families.

The kid(s) have a right to a public education.

I am asking how, where, and with whom.

Special ed school? No, not for a non-SPED kid. Plus, the special ed kids couldn't bring peanuts, so what would be the point?

Homeschool? Not for a family where both parents work, or the parent is single, or just plain doesn't want to homeschool.

Special school for kids with peanut allergies? Probably not enough kids to do that.

1:1 student-teacher ratio? Too expensive, not to mention socially isolating for the kid.

What is the solution, if not classroom nut bans? Saying "they shouldn't be at school" is not enough. Where should they be?
My son is allergic to cotton and wool.. Makes him break out on contact. I think we should ban cotton and wool from school so he wouldnt be at risk.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
My grand son wasent much of a talker. One day my daughter got a letter from the school stating that they wanted to put him in s special ed class to help combat his ADD as they say. Well at home and among people he knows you cant shut the kid up. He is just somewhat shy.
After a while the school pretty much demanded that he go to the class and demanded that the parents show up for a meeting to discus it. My daughter and her husband both work long hours so I went in their place.
The school was small and had about 300 students. On the desk of the woman conducting the meeting was about 250 folders of the kids in the school. I asked her what the folders were for and was told that they were the kids in the school with learning disabilities. 250 in 300 ???
The second thing that she did was shove a stack of papers in front of me and wanted me to sign them. I said id take a look at them but she wanted we to sign them right away. I said no and took them with me. She got very angry. The papers were a declaration that I agreed with their assessment that my grand son had learning disabilities.
I did some searching and found that the school got money and goods from the government for each special ed kid so they were trying to maximize their revenues by designating kids disabled.
We took all her kids out of school after that and started homeschooling them. Best thing we ever did for them.
Do people really want their kids to be labeled as disabled?
That's an extremely hard to believe story for a variety of reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
My son is allergic to cotton and wool.. Makes him break out on contact. I think we should ban cotton and wool from school so he wouldnt be at risk.
Read the thread. This has been addressed. Will your son DIE if he comes into contact with cotton or wool? Does he have a reaction from being near it or contacting it? Seems to me it would be pretty easy to avoid contact with other people's clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting